Earn 300-600 UA miles for taking a survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
60 miles for a very exhausting and seemingly never ending survey about buying cars.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA,AA,DL
I had the following email conversation today with the author of the Qualtrics politics survey which had dumped me at the end. I first heard from Qualtrics on Sunday afternoon (!) and after retrieving the URL from Firefox History, either they or SSI who I'd also contacted found the surveyor. I thought this was very forthright and makes me think that these snafus may be due more to technical interface difficulties than cheating us:

> SSI sent me a message and noted that you were not compensated for a survey that you recently took.

> It was not our intent to take advantage of your time and effort. Do you have a PayPal account to which we can provide you with some compensation for your time and consideration?

> Thanks for your time and consideration.

> sincerely,
> kyle
Was this for the Qualtrics survey on politics? It was the second one from Qualtrics which dropped me at the end without miles compensation which is all that I wanted. I sent an email to Qualtrics about it.
Yes, this was for the Qualtrics survey on politics. Qualtrics forwarded your message to me. What is your typical compensation for a survey? I'm not sure I can directly provide miles but can send you a payment via Paypal.

Hope to hear from you soon.
There really isn't any need to do anything other than making sure respondents are not dumped out without compensation after nearly completing the survey, in this case after divulging personal info which made it more aggravating. I realize that sometimes these are technical glitches however since there are two or three parties' technology involved.

Thank you for being conscientious which is reassuring.
Hi Greg -
Thanks kindly for understanding.

Yes, I think sometimes researchers' goal of talking to specific audiences leads them to ask specific questions and then filter out respondents who don't match those criteria. This is not always good practice and sometimes does not respect respondents individuals' time and consideration.

I'm still happy to compensate you for your time and consideration, though.

kyle

Kyle A. Dropp
Assistant Professor
Department of Government
Dartmouth College
I gave his name because he is an ethical man who is doing important work. It is nice to know we are assisting University research which is unfailing in its efforts to be accurate. I know because I was once a UCLA statistics undergrad and our surveys were approved up to the department level. I wonder if they supervise the distributor Qualtrics adequately though. There's a lot of money in political surveying now.

This morning I had an email from Opinion Miles Support that the 60 miles was credited.

Last edited by walkdmx; May 20, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old May 20, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
50 miles for a 10 minute survey on electronic photography.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:00 pm

Signed up and completed my first survey...about beer! It would have only been better if they had actually given me points to drink it.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:51 pm

60 miles for a 30 minute survey on adhesive tape, ugh I wanted to blow my brains out towards the end
Old May 27, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Just a very dumb question.
Are these surveys good only for US residents? I created an account and received a lot of emails but could not do any survey....
Old May 28, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The survey companies generally target specific countries for their studies (why take opinions on a product from Brazilians if there are no plans to ever sell the product in Brazil?) and will check for IP addresses. And with some companies like e-Rewards, there are reports that even the usual IP proxy servers don't work when trying to complete the surveys. (Context- people who live and work in the USA but are currently elsewhere with a little time on their hands, not people trying to game the system) I'm USA-based, but have missed out on some prime surveys the last two weeks because I'm currently on vacation in Europe.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:17 am

Test products

After a few slow weeks, I Just finished testing my face cream and now am waiting for the toilet paper.

Guess you can say I'm on a roll!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:28 am

Email: 60 miles for 3 minutes
Click through: 6-question pre-screener form
Congratulations: You qualify for 60 miles for a 25 minute interview

Lame
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:00 pm

Just got email for 216 miles for 10 min...did the "before the survey, we'd like to ask you a few questions," & finally got offer for 60 miles for 23 min! Screw that
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:53 pm

Hour-long struggle with TV Product placement survey + idiotic PopTarts game popup

I sent this email to Sentient Decision Science of Portsmouth NH after an hour's struggle watching their TV Product placements and trying to play an idiotic PopTarts word game that wanted to keep repeating:

I answer surveys for SSI under the United Airlines Opinion miles program. I also am a correspondent with the professional associations which recognize legitimate opinion researchers and the President of United Airlines for mileage programs quality control.

I have never seen a more poorly organized survey than the mess I spent over an hour trying to answer from your company regarding Product Placement on the Ground Floor TV series, which segued into a game involving Poptarts and other breakfast choices. Your company's branding was all over it so I know it was from you. The game would not offer a Next button after loading even in the latest IE11 browser. I finally got it to work by copying the URL to Firefox and played the game which seemed to never end. But afterwards it only wanted to repeat and would not take me back to the original survey.

I have contacted SSI support about this and intend to ask others about it in the flyer forums where others who answer opinion surveys share information and which are monitored by University researchers studying ethics and quality of surveys for whom I serve on an opinion panel. It is not ethical to put out such poorly designed surveys that the most dedicated answerers cannot complete them even with a Microsoft MVP tech status. This robs us of the miles we worked hard to earn.

Thank you for looking into this to remedy the problem.

I'm taking a hot shower with the 15oz Men's Body wash I got today by Fedex.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:37 pm

50 miles for an 11 minute survey on electronic device protection. First in a while ^
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm actually back on this thread to read how many people are getting screwed over after asking questions. It is definitely enough to keep me out of this game. I have been screwed over and over by answering questions and getting the dreaded sorry but no points for you so I just quit playing the game a while ago.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm actually back on this thread to read how many people are getting screwed over after asking questions. It is definitely enough to keep me out of this game. I have been screwed over and over by answering questions and getting the dreaded sorry but no points for you so I just quit playing the game a while ago.
I had been discouraged too. But I came back and have been successful in not only qualifying but testing 2 different products. Not only did I receive my miles I also got a $25 amazon gift card!

Of course that could change very quickly.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:37 am

Email I just sent to Rona at SSI (Opinion Miles) about the resolution of my earlier complaint:

Hi Rona -

I looked at my Survey history and saw that ORD-134864-HSWC was marked Incomplete but still had a live link.

I opened that link in IE11 and it began at the link page to game, but this time after the game it completed and awarded my miles. So it must have been a matter of the link source not being recognized after I'd copied it to Firefox to get the game to play.

That doesn't explain why it wouldn't work the first time in IE11.

Nevertheless despite having to play that game again it is now completed and I am satisfied after being impressed with how conscientious and helpful to respondents Brendan at Sentient Decision Science is after our email correspondence this morning.

Thanks for all you do there for us.
To those who see these examples as reasons to not participate I'd like to encourage you to persist because I am now working on my second Europe trip after less than a year replacing a puzzle habit with answering these surveys. You just have to shrug off the rejections and use Support to resolve failure to pay miles or glitches. The saving grace here is that Rona and Support are very interactive and supportive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.