Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Cruban
Is there a limit on the number of coins purchased?
I'm assuming you had to physically purchase them at the mint?
They started imposing a limit lower than 10 (2 or 3 I believe) around the time I stopped. I don't know if it's still active or not. Givem' a call!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
September?

Originally Posted by jerry305
BMO phone reps told me today that they're only offering the 15,000 point bonus. However, the 20,000 point bonus offer remains active on the BMO website.

• BMO's link for the 20,000 point deal has now gone dead.
• CIBC's 15,000 point offers that were to end August 31 do in fact appear as expired.

Hopefully there's new offers emerging in September. Please post anything new that you find. Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Cruban
Is there a limit on the number of coins purchased?
I'm assuming you had to physically purchase them at the mint?
Coins can be bought online from the mind and there's no HST/GST/PST and postage is free. Surprised the Mint hasn't clamped down on this sooner as the US Mint did when US FTers flooded them with cc orders for $1 coins to earn FF miles.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Coins can be bought online from the mind and there's no HST/GST/PST and postage is free. Surprised the Mint hasn't clamped down on this sooner as the US Mint did when US FTers flooded them with cc orders for $1 coins to earn FF miles.
Wow~! You really bought them from the mind?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I'm on the mint's website now.

The only SKU I can find is this:
$20 for $20 Fine Silver Coin - Iceberg and Whale (2013)

Price is $20 each + no shipping. Maximum quantity: 3.
Everything else (that I can find) sold out, is priced above face value, or has a shipping charge.

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

BMO World Elite MasterCard: $300 bonus

Bank of Montreal World Elite MasterCard has amended their signup bonus to reflect their new points system.

Link to BMO website: http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...ite-mastercard

Get bonus points worth $300 in travel credit, and 2% on spend.
Annual fee: $150.

(History: The bonus amount had been $285 worth of credit, and then they bumped it up to $380 worth, and then they changed the point value, so the startup bonus was actually $400 if you clicked on the link for a period of about 2 weeks. Now it's $300, which is still pretty good.)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:59 am

Bank of Montreal has upped the reward redemption rate on the BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard. The rate is now 2%, up from 1.9%.

The standard offer is 15,000 points, which at 1.9%, was worth $285.

However, the 20,000 points bonus offer appears to still work. That'd be $400 in travel credit. Annual fee remains at $150.
That's a $250 gain instantly. I think this is one of the best cards out there now.

• Supplementary cards are now free.
• Priority Pass access to VIP airport lounges (4 visits per year).
• $70,000 income or $120,000 household income required.
• More at http://bmorewards.com
That's great! Too bad it's too late for me. I did an upgrade last year for a really long-standing cc account I have at BMO, and got a pro-rated annual fee, plus the $285 (which got me 3 nights in LA-yay!) plus using my 4 passes later this year! I just down-graded again to avoid the annual fee, and plan to upgrade again in a year or two! It's a great churn for me!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:28 am

(History: The bonus amount had been $285 worth of credit, and then they bumped it up to $380 worth, and then they changed the point value, so the startup bonus was actually $400 if you clicked on the link for a period of about 2 weeks. Now it's $300, which is still pretty good.)
So when you signed up for the 'Golf' offer of 20,000 points did they double it when it was posted in your account? ie does your account now have 40,000 points instead of 20,000? AFAIK the point value never changed it was 1.9% until August 31 and now it is 1% but of course the card now earns 2 points per dollar instead of 1? I'm just curious as I posed this question to my BMO contact but have not heard back yet so perhaps you can answer faster than they do! (Also noticed my posts from yesterday have been deleted... )
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Reminder: Promotion of blogs on Flyertalk is not allowed.

Flyertalk Terms of Service: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q71 Commercial posts. Posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services - including but not limited to Internet sites, business advertisements and solicitations to donate miles or points are prohibited and will be removed. FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing is to be offered for sale or conditioned on an exchange of money or barter.

Having said that, you are most welcome to post messages without a link and have a link to your blog homepage in the signature area of your profile. If you have any additional questions, please contact me by private message.

Thank you,

MileageAddict

Last edited by MileageAddict; Sep 4, 2013 at 8:17 am Reason: fixed minor typo
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:35 am

@MileageAddict

Got it! Thanks, guess it goes to show I should spend more time on FT like I used too! Not aware of the new rules!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superdawg
So when you signed up for the 'Golf' offer of 20,000 points did they double it when it was posted in your account? ie does your account now have 40,000 points instead of 20,000? AFAIK the point value never changed it was 1.9% until August 31 and now it is 1% but of course the card now earns 2 points per dollar instead of 1? I'm just curious as I posed this question to my BMO contact but have not heard back yet so perhaps you can answer faster than they do! (Also noticed my posts from yesterday have been deleted... )
Yes. I signed up with the 20,000 offer.

The BMO phone rep told me that whatever points were in the account on August 31 would be doubled for September 1.
That transaction worked fine on my account:
My point total was 20,516 on August 31.
On Sept 1, they gave me a credit adjustment for exactly 20,516 more points.
My Points Balance is now 41,032 points.

The old points were worth 1.9 cents. (20,516 x 1.9c = $389.80)
The new points are worth 1 cent. (41,032 x 1.0c = $410.32)

It's all good.

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 4, 2013 at 8:41 am Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:50 am

@jerry305 Thanks for the answer, that is great to hear for those who did sign up for the card with the 20K link!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superdawg
@jerry305 Thanks for the answer, that is great to hear for those who did sign up for the card with the 20K link!
The conversion happened August 31.
The 20,000 link was still available on the BMO website until August 31.

So there will be some people who would've applied for the card in time, but too late to make their first spend (or even get their card) by August 31.

For those people, it would be appropriate to call and verify that BMO awards 40,000 points. You accepted the offer for 20,000 old points, and that's the value you should get.

If you're in that camp, I recommend you call to ensure that it's processed properly, because this might not be an automatic process.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Some few more deals, Amex Gold is going for 25K Sign up bonus, Aeroplan Amex Gold is going for 20K sign up bonus, both first year free. If you get referred for Amex Aeroplan Gold, you get 30K instead of the 20K.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:20 am

For those people, it would be appropriate to call and verify that BMO awards 40,000 points. You accepted the offer for 20,000 old points, and that's the value you should get.

If you're in that camp, I recommend you call to ensure that it's processed properly, because this might not be an automatic process.
That's the boat I'm in....approved for the card on aug 28, confirmed on the phone the 20k bonus, but don't have the card yet.

I'll find out soon hopefully!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.