MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
We haven't seen a 25% bonus in a little while.
my bad, 20. still better give this is the only way to get aa through spend in canada.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
my bad, 20. still better give this is the only way to get aa through spend in canada.
True...but...isn't it still better to collect and do bonus transfers to Avios and then book AA through BA? I thought it was a better deal? It is for AA flights I want, anyway...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
True...but...isn't it still better to collect and do bonus transfers to Avios and then book AA through BA? I thought it was a better deal? It is for AA flights I want, anyway...
short haul direct y is better with ba. but as you know i like international first class so I like aa a lot more. The thing is, amex transfers to ba with 50% anyways, and i have plenty enough amex mr and ba already in my account.
i hope i didn't just jinx the promo next march, haha.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:38 pm

Just for information sake, RBC Avion also has a 25% transfer bonus to WestJet Rewards going on right now. I would still pick BA or AA over this one though!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The thing is, amex transfers to ba with 50% anyways, and i have plenty enough amex mr and ba already in my account.
Hi yerffej, is amex canada currently running this promotion? (I couldn't find it) If not, do you know how often does this promotion occur? When can we expect it ?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by efe83
Hi yerffej, is amex canada currently running this promotion? (I couldn't find it) If not, do you know how often does this promotion occur? When can we expect it ?
This year, the Amex MR to BA Avios 50% bonus came up in March and May (if I recall correctly). I was hoping to see one come up this fall, but....
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by efe83
Originally Posted by pokee
This year, the Amex MR to BA Avios 50% bonus came up in March and May (if I recall correctly). I was hoping to see one come up this fall, but....
They didn't have on at this time last year I think. don't think htere will be one this year.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:15 pm

Here is THE history thread on RFD, thanks to crimsona for the hard work

Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/avion...story-1138250/

Only AMEX MR > Avios at 150% is March 2013
BRITISH AIRWAYS

Jul 1 to Jul 31 2013 (RBC Avion 1.5x)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/trans...013-a-1352290/

Mar 1 to Mar 31 2013 (American Express 1.5x)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amex-...-31-a-1307848/
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
IHG / Holiday Inns Pointbreaks

There's a new batch of PointBreak hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inns.

PointBreaks are reward stays available for only 5,000 points. There's a method, explained elsewhere, where IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points for US $70.

Hotels in Canada:
ONTARIO
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES TIMMINS
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS PEMBROKE
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES WOODSTOCK SOUTH
HOLIDAY INN GUELPH HOTEL & CONFERENCE CTR
HOLIDAY INN KITCHENER-WATERLOO CONF. CTR.
HOLIDAY INN TORONTO-MISSISSAUGA

US & OVERSEAS:
See their website
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
There's a new batch of PointBreak hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inns.

PointBreaks are reward stays available for only 5,000 points. There's a method, explained elsewhere, where IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points for US $70.

US & OVERSEAS:
See their website
Thank you for this! ^
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

(CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card)

Signup bonus: 30,000 bonus Aventura Points.
Purchase requirement: 3 merchant purchases; no dollar amount stated.

Short-haul flights: 10,000 Aventura Points & up;
Long-haul flights: 25,000 Aventura Points & up.
Link to new Aventura rewards chart

Annual fee: $120.
First year free?: No.
(EDIT, to add... ) Ability to transfer to Aeroplan: Not mentioned at all.

Link: https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/ave...aPointsOffer-E

Huh. It turns out that the 10,000 points "and up" for short haul rewards really means "not really".

YWG to YYZ is 17,000 to 20,000 points. The number of points changes for every possible flight. The chart works out to approximately 2 Aventura points for every dollar of round trip fare. So instead of 30,000 points being 3 short haul flights, it's going to be 1, with points leftover.

My plan is to (try to) just convert all my Aventura points to Aeroplan, before December 31. Since points have to be converted in increments of 10,000, rather than just a minimum of 10,000, it makes sense for me to just convert all 30,000 now.
https://www.cibcaventura.com/eng/faq.aspx
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Aeroplan: 20% conversion bonus (Nov 11-Dec 9)

Aeroplan's 20% conversion bonus promotion is back on.
Promotion starts today, November 11, until December 9.

Includes most hotel & car partners. Excludes American Express Membership Rewards and CIBC Aventura.

More details at:
http://www3.aeroplan.com/promotions/..._webup3867a_AE
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Aeroplan's 20% conversion bonus promotion is back on.
Promotion starts today, November 11, until December 9.

Includes most hotel & car partners. Excludes American Express Membership Rewards and CIBC Aventura.

More details at:
http://www3.aeroplan.com/promotions/..._webup3867a_AE
Great. I guess we can permanently discount Amex as a 25% bonus partner from hereon forward.

I'm tempted to convert my Wyndham rewards... but it seems like a poor idea given hotels often provide more value than Aeroplan these days, heh.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Looks like Esso->Club Sobeys conversion is ending (good times when they had a 5X point bonus coupled with Sobeys 5X bonus...... that was a LOT of Aeroplans in a short window, hehe).

The email I received states that they will match the # of Esso Points collected and deposit the same amount into my Esso account. Anybody know whether this means I should retain my Sobeys auto-conversion, OR whether I should turn it off and collect Esso which they will then double up? Very confusing.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Looks like Esso->Club Sobeys conversion is ending (good times when they had a 5X point bonus coupled with Sobeys 5X bonus...... that was a LOT of Aeroplans in a short window, hehe).

The email I received states that they will match the # of Esso Points collected and deposit the same amount into my Esso account. Anybody know whether this means I should retain my Sobeys auto-conversion, OR whether I should turn it off and collect Esso which they will then double up? Very confusing.
This is bad news. Where did you hear Sobeys is going to be not transferable to Aeromiles. and when ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.