MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by flipstah
They increased the sign up bonus for the TD Aeroplan... Interesting.
reference?
Old May 7, 2017, 9:18 am
alc

And GCR also just updated with the new offer too, and it is the without minimum spend, just the hold the account for 90 days. It also do 50% rebates on the primary card holder annual fee.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Nice deal on the Scotia Amex Gold. FYF, $300 in reward points after $750 spend in 90 days. And then a $75 gift card if you apply through Rate Supermarket.

Two things to note:

1) They changed the online application portal. I never used to be able to apply for Scotia cards online; I would get that "no credit information on file" error. Works fine now!

2) They changed the terms on the rewards portal. They used to take the points on booking and any refund for cancellation would stay as a cash credit. Now they turn back into points.

So you'll have to use your 30K points for either actual travel bookings on their portal, or against travel purchases you make directly using the card.

Originally Posted by mgn2000
There are some changes it seems.

Cash Back Rebate will be paid by GCR upon credit card account approval by MBNA. Maximum one per individual.
Noticed that as well. But when Googling it looks like it also said that back in 2015 so I figured I was mistaken that it wasn't there before. I wonder if it is actually new, and whether it matters.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by dillybravo
Noticed that as well. But when Googling it looks like it also said that back in 2015 so I figured I was mistaken that it wasn't there before. I wonder if it is actually new, and whether it matters.
I and many others have gotten the GCR $60 cashback multiple times.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: *void
Could you be a little more specific on what's new? Because from a quick glance it doesn't appear to be any different than what it has been for the past two promo periods, other than the expiry for the most recent offer has been extended from May 4th to May 16th. In January I had updated the wiki section at the TD thread with the info, see details there:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...edit-card.html

15K after first purchase
10K after 90 days no need to spend $1000 (if via affiliates)
5K for adding authorized user for $50
Total 30K

Last edited by JJonahJ; May 7, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by dillybravo
Nice deal on the Scotia Amex Gold. FYF, $300 in reward points after $750 spend in 90 days. And then a $75 gift card if you apply through Rate Supermarket.

Two things to note:

1) They changed the online application portal. I never used to be able to apply for Scotia cards online; I would get that "no credit information on file" error. Works fine now!

2) They changed the terms on the rewards portal. They used to take the points on booking and any refund for cancellation would stay as a cash credit. Now they turn back into points.

So you'll have to use your 30K points for either actual travel bookings on their portal, or against travel purchases you make directly using the card.

OK. With Amex blacklisting me and my churn team, this may be a good one and done alternative. Is there any URL that shows how to actually use those 30K points? Never had the card, and would love to find out how to max out the point bonus, thx.

EDIT: I think I may have answered my own question: scotiarewards.com

But here's a related question: When trying to use the points for travel expenses, anyone have experience purchasing a, say, $300 Fairmont GC from fairmont.com and have them reimburse it? Or does it actually have to be a stay at a hotel?

Last edited by Preacher7; May 7, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

i just got approved for scotia amex card also , never used scotia bank before , anyone know can i book travel myself and get back $300 if i have 30000 pts or do u have to use scotia travel site .
Old May 7, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
i just got approved for scotia amex card also , never used scotia bank before , anyone know can i book travel myself and get back $300 if i have 30000 pts or do u have to use scotia travel site .
You don't have to use Scotia travel site. You can charge $300 worth of travel to the card from a hotel, car rental, airline or travel booking with hotels.com, expedia, travelocity etc... and then apply the points against the charge and a credit will be applied within 5 business days.

Personally, I use my credit to offset fuel scam charges with award tickets. It takes a bit of the sting off
Old May 7, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
OK. With Amex blacklisting me and my churn team, this may be a good one and done alternative. Is there any URL that shows how to actually use those 30K points? Never had the card, and would love to find out how to max out the point bonus, thx.

EDIT: I think I may have answered my own question: scotiarewards.com

But here's a related question: When trying to use the points for travel expenses, anyone have experience purchasing a, say, $300 Fairmont GC from fairmont.com and have them reimburse it? Or does it actually have to be a stay at a hotel?
Yes the GC will qualify for reimbursement as long as the charge comes from Fairmont and NOT a third party. You may want to double check if they use a third party to sell their GC's.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Originally Posted by Allie Abby
Yes, you can pay with the card and then after it posts, apply the points for a statement credit.

As for what qualifies:

"The Post Purchase Travel Redemption must be...recognized by our systems with the Merchant Category Codes or identifiers: airlines & air carriers – 4511; airports, flying fields, and airport terminals – 4582; lodgings, hotels, motels and resorts – 7011; trailer parks and campgrounds – 7033; passenger railways – 4112; bus lines – 4131; steamship and cruise lines – 4411; travel agencies and tour operators – 4722; automobile rental agency – 7512; motor home and recreational vehicle rentals – 7519."

Full terms are here:
https://www.scotiarewards.com/Help/Terms.aspx
Old May 7, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by imverge
Yes the GC will qualify for reimbursement as long as the charge comes from Fairmont and NOT a third party. You may want to double check if they use a third party to sell their GC's.
Thx! I'll try to find out if fairmont.com uses a 3rd party.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Could you be a little more specific on what's new? Because from a quick glance it doesn't appear to be any different than what it has been for the past two promo periods, other than the expiry for the most recent offer has been extended from May 4th to May 16th. In January I had updated the wiki section at the TD thread with the info, see details there:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...edit-card.html

15K after first purchase
10K after 90 days no need to spend $1000 (if via affiliates)
5K for adding authorized user for $50
Total 30K
What I noticed is what you have. Man, I gotta be on top of things around here! What seems to be news is all of a sudden archaic!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Is Amex tightening up churning or am I an idiot?

Every credit card app I get a call as there is a credit watch on file due to cc fraud many moons ago. So Amex call and I give them my home info instead of my biz info I used for the biz SPG card app. Legit biz too. Anyway the agent who called puts me on hold...at the 10 min mark I hang up. I called back later in the day only to be told my app has gone to a diff. department. Don't remember what it's called but I called yesterday and they denied me!!!!!!!!

And last week PC Financial MC took my $12k limit to 1K, ...? I did have $50k owing to Amex back in Feb but it was all paid on time, maybe it's hitting my file?? Amex told me to wait 3-6 months to reapply. I assume it's ANY AMEX card? Looks like I'll be busy when I get back from vacation. There is a little consolation on my Gold card as I hit $1.5K
Old May 8, 2017, 1:18 pm

Not sure if already posted.
RBC Infinite Avion offer,thru ratesupermarket 15k points+ 15k after 1 year anniversary.
No FYF,but if you bank with RBC with VIP acct....then fee waived yearly.

https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/credi...infinite_avion
Old May 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
Not sure if already posted.
RBC Infinite Avion offer,thru ratesupermarket 15k points+ 15k after 1 year anniversary.
No FYF,but if you bank with RBC with VIP acct....then fee waived yearly.

https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/credi...infinite_avion
I had this card that had an anniversary bonus and they did not honor and wouldn't accept any print screens to prove my case. I would be weary of this offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.