MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:36 am

So I did a bit of an app splurge earlier this week, picked up the RBC Avion personal, the RBC Avion for business and the TD Aeroplan Infinite.

Anyone know how long the Avion points post after first spend? Hoping that I can get in "under the wire" to transfer to AA at 1:1. May 2nd deadline is fast approaching.

First time applying for the business Avion. Had to go into a branch, show them my articles of incorporation. The Financial Advisor told me it's good to go, but it's taking days to process. Not as easy as Amex, that's for sure.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Anyone know how long the Avion points post after first spend? Hoping that I can get in "under the wire" to transfer to AA at 1:1. May 2nd deadline is fast approaching.
I can tell you that for a RBC Gold -> RBC Avion conversion, the points posted within a week of conversion before I even put any spend on the new card.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I can tell you that for a RBC Gold -> RBC Avion conversion, the points posted within a week of conversion before I even put any spend on the new card.

Thanks. Hopefully it works that way for me. I'm also rushing as I have 15k Avion points that can't be converted to AA (you need a premium card to do that)...so want to avoid getting dinged on those as well.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by alc
oh, i didn't know that. damn, was going to apply it as my Marriott VISA is due to cancel in May.

let's hope you prediction is wrong. but it seems Chase is closing down their operation in Canada, let's just hope someone will be picking up the Marriott brand.
I have both the Chase Amazon and Chase Marriott cards. I will cut someone if I lose my no foreign txn fee cards! Anyone have any concrete info that Chase Canada is closing shop?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by pokee
I have both the Chase Amazon and Chase Marriott cards. I will cut someone if I lose my no foreign txn fee cards! Anyone have any concrete info that Chase Canada is closing shop?
The Marriott card is their only card left that they haven't sold. It probably has the biggest base of users (and higher-value ones, since there's an AF) so they just haven't found a willing buyer for it yet.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:57 pm

Amazon hasn't been sold, it's just been blocked from new signups. Anybody who doesn't have the Marriott yet still has the chance to get one (or churn one)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
So I did a bit of an app splurge earlier this week, picked up the RBC Avion personal, the RBC Avion for business and the TD Aeroplan Infinite.

First time applying for the business Avion. Had to go into a branch, show them my articles of incorporation. The Financial Advisor told me it's good to go, but it's taking days to process. Not as easy as Amex, that's for sure.
RBC points,including welcome points, post after a statement cycles.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by crimsona
Amazon hasn't been sold, it's just been blocked from new signups. Anybody who doesn't have the Marriott yet still has the chance to get one (or churn one)
Just picked up one yesterday. My 4th in the past two years.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:57 pm

Is it easy to get approved for Marriott visa? I heard some banks automatically deny an application if credit report shows ANY credit applications within the last three or six months. Is it true for Chase Marriott visa? I just applied and got approved for mbna Alaska, but if such a recent credit pull is still OK, I would apply for Marriott card as well, since my credit score is otherwise OK (~750).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:08 pm

just got approved for 50.000 pts sign up marriott, i canceled my last card in oct or nov , forget which month , just reading few posts on here about marriott maybe going , made me hit the panic button , was going to wait till june to try another sign up.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pokee
I will cut someone if I lose my no foreign txn fee cards!
Rogers is 2.5% FTF, but 4% cash back on foreign transactions, so it's effectively no FTF.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Rogers is 2.5% FTF, but 4% cash back on foreign transactions, so it's effectively no FTF.
If I don't want to use the Rogers card rebate for my phone bill or to buy Blue Jays tickets, will they actually disburse the cash (or credit other purchases on the statement)? This is not clear to me on their web site.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Does anyone know which credit card offers travel insurance (trip interruption, flight delay, bag delay, etc) on points redemption bookings (ie.g alaska miles, united miles, etc).

I know TD aeroplan and CIBC aerogold covers Aeroplan bookings already.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by keitherson
The Marriott card is their only card left that they haven't sold. It probably has the biggest base of users (and higher-value ones, since there's an AF) so they just haven't found a willing buyer for it yet.
Is that Scotia who has taken over the portfolio of Chase in Canada? Last month when I called the customer service for my Marriott Visa it was a Scotia representative who answered.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by matthieugd
Is that Scotia who has taken over the portfolio of Chase in Canada?
I thought they only got the Sears card. I still make payments to Chase on the amazon.ca card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.