Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:52 am

Hey Guys,

I was declined a Best Western credit card by MBNA. I currently hold an Alaska Airlines with them (it only has a $1500 credit limit however).

When I called, I asked if they could take some credit from my Alaska Airlines (or even close my Alaska card) and approve my Best Western card. The agent seemed angry and said that it was never possible to do that.

Am I missing something?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emilio911
The agent seemed angry and said that it was never possible to do that.

Am I missing something?
That either many agents don't know what they're talking about, or that's really MBNA's policy? (I've never gotten a card from MBNA Canada, so I can't say which is correct.)

But you also have to realize that there are many reasons a card would be declined, and transferring a credit limit would only address one reason.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But you also have to realize that there are many reasons a card would be declined, and transferring a credit limit would only address one reason.

I was declined for "having enough credit".
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

Hey Guys,

I was declined a Best Western credit card by MBNA. I currently hold an Alaska Airlines with them (it only has a $1500 credit limit however).

When I called, I asked if they could take some credit from my Alaska Airlines (or even close my Alaska card) and approve my Best Western card. The agent seemed angry and said that it was never possible to do that.

Am I missing something?
Many people here have reported opening a second card with MBNA (including in my own family) and given reconsideration when moving credit from one card to another (i.e. Card 1 had credit limit of 10K, Card 2 approved when 5K from Card 1 moved to Card 2). There are minimum credit limits however. My thoughts are that 1.5K may be too low to split.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:48 pm

I was declined for "having enough credit".
You can always call back again and see if another agent is more friendly. Several times I've called back twice and the two agents could not have had more contrasting attitudes, and this was with several different financial institutions.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
You can always call back again and see if another agent is more friendly. Several times I've called back twice and the two agents could not have had more contrasting attitudes, and this was with several different financial institutions.
Thanks! I'll try in a couple days.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:58 pm

Question

Another question: Which Canadian credit cards are willing to waive the annual fee (2nd year)?

In particular, I would like to keep my MBNA’s Alaska, my Chase’s Marriott and my AMEX’s Gold.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AP 75k
Another question: Which Canadian credit cards are willing to waive the annual fee (2nd year)?

In particular, I would like to keep my MBNA’s Alaska, my Chase’s Marriott and my AMEX’s Gold.
I don't think any of those would be willing to waive the 2nd year but you might get some MR points from Amex retentions.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:19 pm

Chase definitely wont. MBNA might give you a partial waiver, so might AMEX.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AS MVP, DL, AC, *wood Gold

MBNA has offered to waive the second year several times for me but I have always declined the offer as I wanted to churn the Alaska card.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by hudson
MBNA has offered to waive the second year several times for me but I have always declined the offer as I wanted to churn the Alaska card.
Normally, I would be in the same situation as you, but now that MBNA declined my BestWestern application... I don't think they will approve a new Alaska any time soon.

Cheers,
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
folks, is it still possible to refer AMEX SPG cards between husband/wife and get the bonus signup/referral points even if we already have an existing active AMEX SPG card?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by injian
folks, is it still possible to refer AMEX SPG cards between husband/wife and get the bonus signup/referral points even if we already have an existing active AMEX SPG card?
Should be, that's a legit referral

Keep in mind AMEX.ca only allows 2 active CREDIT cards
so SPG Personal + SPG Business = 2 credit cards if you don't own Air Miles or SimplyCash
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by injian
Your question is a little vague.

Do you mean to get TWO concurrent Amex SPG cards, each? If that's what you mean, then most likely NO, not normally allowed to have 2 of the same Amex card product, but YMMV.

If it's just a case of wondering if YOU can apply, while you're wife already has the same card, then absolutely no issue. Your cards are YOURS, wife's cards are HERS, totally separate and Amex doesn't treat your family as a single entity for their card products. Go ahead and refer her, or she can refer you.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:14 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Just a reminder that we have a forum specifically for the discussion of churning credit cards. Please continue any discussion regarding this specific topic to Manufactured Spending.

Thank you,

MileageAddict

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.