Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
That makes lots of sense A poll in a hostile community by a group that is solely out to list bloggers that supposedly killed deals. Id be willing to put my money on your chosen results with this crowd.

Glad we all got to have this conversation tonight. Are you 100% sure it wasn't one of your gang? 100%? You know as well as I do, you can't be.

And as for my opinion on what factor killed the deal. I have no conclusive evidence one way or the other. Question answered. And all you have is a witch hunt.
I am not 100% sure of anything. I am just asking for your opinion, that’s all. You saying you have no evidence one way or the other is avoiding the question and you know it. I am not asking for proof just your opinion.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: many
I can assure you it wasnt a blogger that contacted the card issuers. We had too much to lose. It had to be one of you. Shame on you. We have freedom of speech. This is all public information. How dare one of you infringe on our livelihood.

Aren't your readers, the FT community your customers? Your followers, the subscribers, the card commission references?
You quote, "It had to be one of you. Shame on you." "How dare one of you infringe on our livelihood"
Really?? That's where this is going now in defense of the card commissions lost over one program?
The livelihood of the blogger's lifestyle is now lost over one program, how much was being paid out that your livelihood is now in jeopardy??

Last edited by mia; Nov 23, 2012 at 5:11 am Reason: Remove personal characterization.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:57 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I find the defendant guilty of murder in the first degree.
Okay, that was pretty funny.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I bet most of you won't be half as upset losing a loved one vs VR being phased out from OD.
Or even worse... XBOX Live being down
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Was it Gregorygrady?
Darn, you caught me FTG. In fact I just started this thread to try to deflect any attention away from me and to the bloggers, but it looks like my plan backfired.

Yep, I just couldn't take it anymore. I have no Ink Bold/Plus, and I couldn't get myself apply via a blogger's link and put $200 into his/her pocket, so I sat around and brainstormed for a week on how to remedy the situation. All I could think of was to call Jaime Dimon at Chase and tell him some people were getting 5x UR pts at Office Depot for Vanilla Reloads. I was actually quite surprised, but he answered the phone himself on the first ring before I ratted out the deal. Suffice it to say this went right to the top of his priority list. He cxld the Q3 Earnings Result Conference Call to put all Chase's manpower into stopping this VR/OD fiasco.

Honestly though, you are completely free to start a competing thread yourself in MilesBuzz with your theories that I or some other blog hater killed the 5x OD deal (BTW, I don't hate blogs, I just hate circles and arrows and nonstop spoonfeeding.........oh yeah, and the nonstop CC pumping). Please, I urge you to start it. I might even come in there and babble on and bait people to try to get your thread closed since you continually find the need to do the same thing to my thread.

For the record, IMHO it doesn't matter if anybody can PROVE who killed the deal. I have no idea why people are even debating that. I am simply using this thread to gather details of deals that WERE KILLED after bloggers posted about them, and to tabulate of list of which bloggers posted about those deals before they were killed. Which blogger (or even blog hater) actually killed the deal (and if that can be proven or not) doesn't really matter too much to me.

Last edited by mia; Nov 23, 2012 at 5:13 am Reason: Contact moderators using the Alert button, not through asides in the message body.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
If a blog hater killed the deal then we come back to the same issue - no blogs - no blog haters - deals live longer. I just don't see any practical results from this discussion. Blogs are not going away and they are paid well to search for deals on FT. Whats next?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I dug through a couple months of MMS's early posts. Here is what I found here that died after he posted on it:
6/7/11: IHG/PC backdoor 0.6cpp purchase loophole (raised to 0.7cpp the next day after one blogger blogged about this, might have been TPG though IIRC, need more digging)
6/18/11: 100k Sapphire Preferred signup
6/22/11: Bank Direct AA miles (or is this still going on, I hafta look into this more)
7/15/11: Sheraton Madison 3k SPG pt FB "like" bonus

And surprisingly, on 7/7/11, in one of MMS's most controversial spoonfeeding circle and arrow posts (or was that before he found the circle and arrow editing software?), he blogged about AP, and surprisingly enough it has NOT died yet, despite a lot of commenters thinking it would be killed quickly after this post. Need to dig further, but that's all I had time for this afternoon. This project may take me quite some time!!! If anybody else knows more deals that died soon after being blogger about off the top of your heads, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST to save me from all the research!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:22 pm

It case this thread gets shut down and I still didn’t get my answer let me guess what the real answer is.

“Of course I know the constant exposure by blogs/forums is what killed this deal but I can’t admit it. I have to save face and stick by my off the wall story. What would my readers think if I admitted to killing deals? Can we please just drop it now?”
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
AA Bankdirect is still alive, just costs $12/month
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:31 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Wrong Guess

Originally Posted by QL_714
It case this thread gets shut down and I still didn’t get my answer let me guess what the real answer is.

“Of course I know the constant exposure by blogs/forums is what killed this deal but I can’t admit it. I have to save face and stick by my off the wall story. What would my readers think if I admitted to killing deals? Can we please just drop it now?”
I clearly answered your question in post #240. Here is my answer again.

I don't know what killed the deal and now quite frankly don't care. The deal is over and I can't buy anymore Vanilla reloads with my credit cards. I'm moving on as we have for years when a deal dies. There will be another one.

And pcharles: I'm obviously speaking to the blog haters here, not my blog audience. The increasing number of them every day know that I will answer their questions and help them if I can.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QL_714
FYI: As long as there are no personal attacks in this thread, there should be no reason for Mods to shut this thread down.

Last edited by mia; Nov 23, 2012 at 5:16 am Reason: Remove personal attack
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I dug through a couple months of MMS's early posts. Here is what I found here that died after he posted on it:
6/7/11: IHG/PC backdoor 0.6cpp purchase loophole (raised to 0.7cpp the next day after one blogger blogged about this, might have been TPG though IIRC, need more digging)
6/22/11: Bank Direct AA miles (or is this still going on, I hafta look into this more)

And surprisingly, on 7/7/11, in one of MMS's most controversial spoonfeeding circle and arrow posts (or was that before he found the circle and arrow editing software?), he blogged about AP, and surprisingly enough it has NOT died yet, despite a lot of commenters thinking it would be killed quickly after this post. Need to dig further, but that's all I had time for this afternoon. This project may take me quite some time!!! If anybody else knows more deals that died soon after being blogger about off the top of your heads, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST to save me from all the research!
Please allow at least some rational counter balance here

IHG/PC backdoor was not closed day after, and going from 0.6 to 0.7 is hardly closing. Seems these boys are happy to sell the points at this price.

100k Chase Sapphire was promoted very bluntly here on MilesBuzz! That is where I found it and followed through it. So did FT kill this one?

Bank Direct AA miles has been going for years. I can ASSURE you this one was killed by Ben Bernanke and his zero interest rate policy and not any blog or forum. And it is not dead, just a monthly fee that makes it only worthwhile if your balances are not high. This deal worked because Texas Capital Bank could make more on the float than the cost of miles. Until interest rates vanished.

Sheraton Madison 3k SPG - seriously who gives a flying f***?

Other deals that were "sure to be dead" after blogging about them:

As you say AP continues to this day perfectly fine

SunTrust debit card is going big despite what are now obviously fictitious reports of account closures the day MMS blogged about it

Maybe you can add to your OP a section for FT and deals killed here? Or would that be too democratic?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady

You have a lot of time. ;0

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

Maybe you can add to your OP a section for FT and deals killed here? Or would that be too democratic?
+1.

And also there's stuff that wasn't ever on the blogs, and it got killed anyways. So there's no causation. It's just poking around in the dark correlation. For example the LH F in advance. Or even the Aer Lingus Business Class mistake.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Please allow at least some rational counter balance here

IHG/PC backdoor was not closed day after, and going from 0.6 to 0.7 is hardly closing. Seems these boys are happy to sell the points at this price.

100k Chase Sapphire was promoted very bluntly here on MilesBuzz! That is where I found it and followed through it. So did FT kill this one?

Bank Direct AA miles has been going for years. I can ASSURE you this one was killed by Ben Bernanke and his zero interest rate policy and not any blog or forum. And it is not dead, just a monthly fee that makes it only worthwhile if your balances are not high. This deal worked because Texas Capital Bank could make more on the float than the cost of miles. Until interest rates vanished.

Sheraton Madison 3k SPG - seriously who gives a flying f***?

Other deals that were "sure to be dead" after blogging about them:

As you say AP continues to this day perfectly fine

SunTrust debit card is going big despite what are now obviously fictitious reports of account closures the day MMS blogged about it

Evidence that they were fictitious?

I may have to make you eat your words for labeling valid reports as such.

So, are readers there to help or are they now all bad guys? Who are you all catering to and gleaning information from?

I think the problem most people have is that most bloggers are now just pimping cc-affiliate links and not contributing anything back to discussions and more and more often now are not attributing information as coming from certain sources. I enjoyed this community when I lurked and then joined, but I've noticed that there are rarely many helpers out there that are bloggers. FTG responds to emails saying "oh just go read FT" and clearly isn't offering assistance to his readers in this case.

FT definitely kills things and that's why FD forum went to 1k pages with code words that Ian Fleming couldn't crack.
That's why stuff is transitioning to PM and code words...the posters realized that stuff was being killed by being too open. What more evidence do you want?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Evidence that they were fictitious?

I may have to make you eat your words for labeling valid reports as such.

So, are readers there to help or are they now all bad guys? Who are you all catering to and gleaning information from?

I think the problem most people have is that most bloggers are now just pimping cc-affiliate links and not contributing anything back to discussions and more and more often now are not attributing information as coming from certain sources. I enjoyed this community when I lurked and then joined, but I've noticed that there are rarely many helpers out there that are bloggers. FTG responds to emails saying "oh just go read FT" and clearly isn't offering assistance to his readers in this case.

FT definitely kills things and that's why FD forum went to 1k pages with code words that Ian Fleming couldn't crack.
That's why stuff is transitioning to PM and code words...the posters realized that stuff was being killed by being too open. What more evidence do you want?
I'm sorry, but I really have no idea what you are talking about. The first three sentences/paragraphs are just incongruent. Your fourth paragraph strikes a chord, but still are off topic from what actually kills deals.

Going back to my post, let's add the Netflix 4k UA deal. Killed right here at home in MilesBuzz! RIP we loved you dearly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.