Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
I disagree strongly. We is all entitled to all these deals. Has the miracle of the coins and miles taught ye nothing? We have tasted of the free lunch and now we of the 47% believe! Gimmee! Gimmee! Tax the rich, feed the poor. Till there are no rich no more.
The simple fact is that the vast majority that post in MilesBuzz want to either ask for information or share it. If they want to know how to get around a restriction or simple state non-helpful information like there are 2 vanilla reloads at their local Office Depot in their town of 1,000 people... The blogs simply found a business of extracting the good stuff.

Last edited by mia; Nov 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reason: Remove comments about other members.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You believe what you want to believe.
How about we find out what you believe. We all know that VR’s at OD for all practical purpose is dead. Did the constant posting of this at blogs/forums/blogs kill this deal? If this deal was never posted on a blog/forum would it still be going on?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Thank you for another example for my list in the 2nd post of this thread. Do you know which blogger was the first to push it, or was the main pusher of it, or were there many bloggers who posted about it before it died?
It would seem that our friend from Texas was the first on August 16th. USA Today Travel picked up on it the same day, and again on the 19th. Updated 3 more times over the next 3 weeks. MMS got in on the game too, but at a later date.

The Texan went into details for GC and which partners had no shipping charges. Encourages people to purchase a drink at a dining partner for a qualifying purchase. Wayyyyyy to many details and this was on August 19th! Patient was in ICU soon there after.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
Simple logic? Your logic is that if someone does not show you what you consider "proof" then that means it is not happening. What kind of logic is that?
No, my logic is that if you haven't proved something, you haven't proved it. Nowhere did I claim that it is not happening. It is simply one of many possibilities, none of which have proof, because we simply don't know why a deal ends. Without a explanatory statement from the companies involved, all we can do is speculate, and your speculation is no better than mine, because neither have any proof.

You should read more carefully. Or think better.

balima: or unless it's simply that the deal went away. There is a strong urge to blame someone, and not much urge to look for other explanations, of which there are plenty.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by aviator8
seth doesn't kill deals
Scott, the one moving to Bueno Aires has not killed a deal to my knowledge
Well he isn't that established, but I remember how he talked about getting biz to Europe for less than 1500 during the Avianca 2x1 promo.

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Hey guys, have you heard that the Amex Biz Gold 50K signup expires tomorrow?
No, I didn't. OMG!

Very true. People don't have to view this thread if they don't want to. They don't have to view blogs if they don't want to. They don't have to go to FT if they don't want to!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
You believe what you want to believe. You have no proof. Try to understand that you simply have not proved your claim in any way, shape or form. You've only shown one correlation among many possible correlations. You've not even approached causation.

I also dislike the attitude that the deals should only belong to the select few. That's a selfish attitude that is contrary to the reason FT exists, in my opinion.
Highlighting mine.

I don't think anyone said that the deals belong to a select few. The problem is the spoon feeding. Circles, arrows, pictures, exact details of how to squeeze the last drops of blood from the rock. For the bloggers, this is their job. Ergo they make money from getting the greatest number of people to come to their blog and hopefully click on those CC links. That can not be disputed.

FT does not exist for the deals. Contrary to the belief of many. FT exists to share information about flying. Those of us who have been here for a long time remember that the majority of threads were about flying, tickets, SWUs, upgrades, seats etc etc. Mistake fares, credit cards etc. were merely a sweet addition.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by balima
FT does not exist for the deals. Contrary to the belief of many. FT exists to share information about flying. Those of us who have been here for a long time remember that the majority of threads were about flying, tickets, SWUs, upgrades, seats etc etc. Mistake fares, credit cards etc. were merely a sweet addition.
But that's not the direction of the forum now...
And let's see how many years the AMEX SmallBiz Day will last...

And again we should also consider what's a "deal."
Does the BA blogger with random posts of alcoholic drinks with his tab of "free money" qualify?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
The chances of the blogs going away are about the same odds that you and Marathon stop using flyertalk threads as chat rooms, posting nonsensical off topic comments.
... The blogs simply found a business of extracting the good stuff.
The point is that deals WILL disappear much faster now. Couple years ago XP had a coupon of $200 off 3 night IHG hotel and a flight. Many r/t flight for about $50. Deal lasted 3 month and ended when it had to end originally. Alitalia and Travelocity deals recently lasted few hours after bloggers wrote about them. Its just new reality today. Jump on the deal right away!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:12 pm

…and you might want to try using common sense. Everything is not black and white.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
You do realize that the programs actively monitor Flyertalk, right?

United is in the United forum here every day. So when threads explode here on Flyertalk, you think that the programs don't notice it? Especially when they have employees whose job it is to monitor Flyertalk?

Look, it's great to want to find a way to keep discussions on the down low. But I don't think that blaming "bloggers" for every deal that goes south is correct either.
AV and SQ don't seem to...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Indeed. But then this whole miles business of ours is all about nonsense, isn't it? Nonsense and mischief making. So MM and I are right on target!
Yes.
When I get back to Canada I want to buy more reloads of one particular card...
Even though I've been to the store many times in the past they still ID me...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
You do realize that the programs actively monitor Flyertalk, right?

United is in the United forum here every day. So when threads explode here on Flyertalk, you think that the programs don't notice it? Especially when they have employees whose job it is to monitor Flyertalk?

Look, it's great to want to find a way to keep discussions on the down low. But I don't think that blaming "bloggers" for every deal that goes south is correct either.
I don't know how "active" some of them really are. Often questions are put directly to the lurkers and it often takes some time for a reply. I do not think that there is one person who sits on FT all day just to see what is being said about a company. I do believe that there is some Customer Service manager whos duty it is to check up on FT every so often. Of course I am just speculating. No proof.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by balima
Highlighting mine.

I don't think anyone said that the deals belong to a select few. The problem is the spoon feeding. Circles, arrows, pictures, exact details of how to squeeze the last drops of blood from the rock. For the bloggers, this is their job. Ergo they make money from getting the greatest number of people to come to their blog and hopefully click on those CC links. That can not be disputed.

Exactly! Maybe we could compare FT to a school/university. People come here because they want to learn and the education is there for those who put in the effort. The threads could be compared to textbooks you have to read and understand and it's not meant to be easy but the rewards are great for those who make the effort. Because FT is not "easy", this kept the deals sustainable and not over-exposed. Also the demographic here is more affluent in general, these people want status for frequent flying and upgrades, they don't have time to be scrounging around drugstores for Vanilla cards or buying Gaiiam tree donations online. The less affluent have to be pretty intelligent to be able to understand the deals and maximize them.

You could compare the blogs to those religions that go door to door trying to preach and convert. They have a greater reach than FT with their links to major newspapers and they reach out to the masses with their spoonfeeding and pictures with arrows and circles. Their readers would never have even heard about miles and points if not for the blogs and that would keep the numbers down. Thousands and thousands of ignorant people now know about miles and points and are flooding the market. What they didn't know before wasn't hurting them so why should they get everything handed to them on a silver platter for being ignorant and lazy?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:45 pm

No, my logic is that if you haven't proved something, you haven't proved it. Nowhere did I claim that it is not happening. It is simply one of many possibilities, none of which have proof, because we simply don't know why a deal ends. Without a explanatory statement from the companies involved, all we can do is speculate, and your speculation is no better than mine, because neither have any proof.

balima: or unless it's simply that the deal went away. There is a strong urge to blame someone, and not much urge to look for other explanations, of which there are plenty.
Most promos have definitive expiration dates. Most promos have pretty exact requirements, especially hotels. Stay X nights receive X number of bonus points. The larger in scope that a promo has (Month of miles, GS) the more room for creativeness. That is why the T&C's state that they can change the rules any time that they want.

I still don't think that the mint would have gone away without all the publicity. Coins are still being minted and they still have many more presidents to go. New reserve vaults are being built to hold the coins. Something had to be done amid all the negative publicity of people schlepping thousands of coins for miles/points/cashback.

Under the radar means just that. Nobody notices or deems the blip to be inconsequential.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Any blogger that posts more than one credit card offer/link per week should be ignored (or worse).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.