Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
No one knows why the deal was killed. Maybe it was that the "deal" got too much attention from the bloggers. Maybe it was too many people buying $5 or $10K of VR at a time from OD. Maybe it was someone contacting OD or elsewhere and "reporting" on the great "deal". Or maybe it was a combination of all the above. We will never know.

In the meantime, I personally appreciate the bloggers attempt to spread the wealth. What I hate are the people that take advantage of the situation to the max - and then talk about it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I'm confused FTG. I just showed you evidence that in a court of law would be enough to find a blogger guilty. It's called circumstantial evidence. Maybe you have me blocked for some reason, or are just choosing to ignore me, I'm not sure.

Do you really think that Chase cares what 1 random person has to say when they call them? Back when you, TPG, and others sat down with Chase reps (less than 6 months ago), and blogged about your meeting, you all said that Chase reads your blogs and knows what you say. Check-mate?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:37 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DavidAL
I'm confused FTG. I just showed you evidence that in a court of law would be enough to find a blogger guilty. It's called circumstantial evidence. Maybe you have me blocked for some reason, or are just choosing to ignore me, I'm not sure.

Do you really think that Chase cares what 1 random person has to say when they call them? Back when you, TPG, and others sat down with Chase reps (less than 6 months ago), and blogged about your meeting, you all said that Chase reads your blogs and knows what you say. Check-mate?
you showed me nothing my friend. your assessment of a court of law means absolutely nothing to me. I'll give the court a showing of the venom spewed here by this group and they may rule otherwise, that we had more to lose and no logical reason to kill the deal.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:41 pm

Is there a way to add a poll to this thread. I would be willing to put my money were my mouth is. What you all say?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
WOW, you really have lost it. Just for the record is it your position it was a blog hater as you call them that called OD/Chase that ended this deal.

So you don't care for the tables being turned I see? my position has been and continues to me, you have no more proof or evidence than I do. But you guys sure seem awful mad that we earned affiliate commissions on a deal that we all lost out on. So what's the issue? The commissions or the deal dying? You lost out on one count. We lost out twice.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:42 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I find the defendant guilty of murder in the first degree.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
you showed me nothing my friend. your assessment of a court of law means absolutely nothing to me. I'll give the court a showing of the venom spewed here by this group and they may rule otherwise, that we had more to lose and no logical reason to kill the deal.
Bloggers don't kill deals on purpose. No one claims this. Bloggers, in the process of their work to get more clicks, expose deals to much wider group of people then forums. Again, its a reality now and I doubt anyone can change it at this point.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:44 pm

1. Bluebird killed Vanilla at OD. Call WalMart complain.

2. No Grand Slam this year? Maybe USAir is looking short term (AA merger) vs. investing in future with dividend miles.

3. Small Biz Saturday getting shutdown because of bloggers? They have over 3 MILLION likes on Facebook. How many of those came from travel hacking blogs?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by al613
Bloggers don't kill deals on purpose. No one claims this. Bloggers, in the process of their work to get more clicks, expose deals to much wider group of people then forums. Again, its a reality now and I doubt anyone can change it at this point.
+1. Well said.

Originally Posted by PresskittJon
1. Bluebird killed Vanilla at OD. Call WalMart complain.

2. No Grand Slam this year? Maybe USAir is looking short term (AA merger) vs. investing in future with dividend miles.

3. Small Biz Saturday getting shutdown because of bloggers? They have over 3 MILLION likes on Facebook. How many of those came from travel hacking blogs?
You do realize that SBS has banners in Staples and other stores promoting it correct? Also, keep in mind most bloggers only talk about SBS once, but VR's only once....per day.

Edit to add: Blaming WM on shutting VR's down is like saying guns kill people, but people that pull the trigger don't kill people. WM/BB is the gun. Bloggers are the trigger pullers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by al613
Exactly. And more exposure = faster demise of deals.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I find the defendant guilty of murder in the first degree.
Lol
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:48 pm

So you don't care for the tables being turned I see? my position has been and continues to me, you have no more proof or evidence than I do. But you guys sure seem awful mad that we earned affiliate commissions on a deal that we all lost out on. So what's the issue? The commissions or the deal dying? You lost out on one count. We lost out twice.
What tables?

I showed you the proper courtesy and answered the questions you put to me. Why won’t you go on the record stating in your professional opinion why this deal was killed?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
Is there a way to add a poll to this thread. I would be willing to put my money were my mouth is. What you all say?
That makes lots of sense A poll in a hostile community by a group that is solely out to list bloggers that supposedly killed deals. Id be willing to put my money on your chosen results with this crowd.

Glad we all got to have this conversation tonight. Are you 100% sure it wasn't one of your gang? 100%? You know as well as I do, you can't be.

And as for my opinion on what factor killed the deal. I have no conclusive evidence one way or the other. Question answered. And all you have is a witch hunt.

ps: Don't forget to vote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:54 pm

I bet most of you won't be half as upset losing a loved one vs VR being phased out from OD.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:56 pm

Are you 100% sure it wasn't one of your gang? 100%? You know as well as I do, you can't be.
As I said before, 1 random person calling Chase, doesn't convince Chase to call OD (on a weekend no less), and have them pull all the VR's. The only way something like that happens on a national scale is when there's pictures with circles and arrows plastered all over the internet inside of OD's, with hundreds of blog posts telling people how to raid OD's.

Last edited by mia; Nov 23, 2012 at 5:04 am Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of multi-paragraph posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.