Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Amazing the number of people here who don't understand simple logic. All the examples of "proof" listed above are really examples of speculation. There is no proof whatsoever -- the most anyone has posted is merely correlation.
Simple logic? Your logic is that if someone does not show you what you consider "proof" then that means it is not happening. What kind of logic is that?

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Hey guys, have you heard that the Amex Biz Gold 50K signup expires tomorrow?
Thanks a lot. Thats another deal that is going to get killed.

Last edited by mia; Nov 23, 2012 at 4:48 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I disagree strongly. We is all entitled to all these deals. Has the miracle of the coins and miles taught ye nothing? We have tasted of the free lunch and now we of the 47% believe! Gimmee! Gimmee! Tax the rich, feed the poor. Till there are no rich no more.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't believe anyone should say that they are entitled to any of these deals.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by balima
OK, here is another recent one. Month of Miles. Do I need to say more. What a FUBAR that was! Within days of the start of the promo, the T&C's drastically changed. From unlimited to 25K. The demise of miles for gift cards can be directly attributed to this one. One day Gift Cards counted, the next they did not. The blogs described in exacting detail how to double, triple and in some cases quadruple dip for miles. People needed to fight for the miles they had purchased.

Now was this promo well vetted? Obviously not. But, blogging about how to get tens of thousands of miles and then telling California residents how to cash out the gift cards
What's FUBAR?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
OK, here is another recent one. Month of Miles. Do I need to say more. What a FUBAR that was! Within days of the start of the promo, the T&C's drastically changed. From unlimited to 25K. The demise of miles for gift cards can be directly attributed to this one. One day Gift Cards counted, the next they did not. The blogs described in exacting detail how to double, triple and in some cases quadruple dip for miles. People needed to fight for the miles they had purchased.

Now was this promo well vetted? Obviously not. But, blogging about how to get tens of thousands of miles and then telling California residents how to cash out the gift cards
I guess if it will stay in 1 thread on FT it might be surviving. However, when any of UA people open BA and see 10 blogs reposting the same deal how to get unlimited number of miles from UA... The question is how you can "unsay a word". We have few dozen people whose job is to monitor FT daily to expose the deals to the world. I see no way to stop it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:35 pm

An anagram for CARTERA.

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What's FUBAR?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What's FUBAR?
****** up beyond all reason/recognition/repair.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
An anagram for CARTERA.
Calling MM!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Are you kidding???? There was a whole forum dedicated to GS here on FT
Yes an entire forum buried in the US Airways site. With individual threads for each partner. Entirely different than a one page article as your primary blog outlining exactly which items to buy, which partner to use for the least cost. It was all spoonfed on the blog. My problem is with the spoon feeding.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
That's not proof. That's you wanting to believe something. Correlation does not equal causation. You must eliminate all other factors to make that proof. You haven't done that, therefore it's just speculation on your part. And wishful thinking. And an implied selfishness.
Great, you are free to believe whatever you want to believe. I am not trying to force you to believe anything that you don't want to believe. I may have used somewhat of a sensationalistic headline when creating this thread, to get people to read the thread.....................I took that page out of the blogger's book with all their sensationalistic blog post headlines..................................."THE SKY IS FALLING, GET YOUR CHASE SAPPHIRE NOW BEFORE THE SIGNUP BONUS DROPS FROM 50k TO 40K".....................or "Act IMMEDIATELY, SPG bonus is dropping from 30k down to 25k". But back to the topic, I am simply creating a list of deals that have died after bloggers have written about them. Each individual here is free to come to their own conclusion whether or not the blogger killed the deal, I am not forcing people to believe one thing or another. Thanks for your comments though. Often I mostly see comments supporting the bloggers only from:
a) the bloggers themselves (see that link in their signature)
or
b) FTers with fewer than a couple hundred posts who are most likely either blog leeches or else blogger's second FT handles (nope, I can't prove that, so don't ask me to)

Originally Posted by al613
I think all this blogging stuff is a sweet revenge Randy aims at FT. He tried to compete with MP and failed. Nw he decided to share revenue with 50 bloggers and start Boarding area. Bloggers will get nice amount of money and will monitor every single thread on FT for any good deals. Then they will expose it it on BA within minutes. No need to check FT anymore! Internet brands are loosing trafic. I, frankly, check BA before FT, because almost ALL the deals are there within minutes in BIG LETTERS. Randy is very smart
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised. That guy is a genuis. I'm sure he already has the next idea in his head for the day when his cut of the affiliate referral link cash dies out on BA. Very smart businessman he is!!!

LOL, unfortunately I just came from Boreding Area, so I just heard it about 74 times.

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
Pretty sure this is the biggest troll of a thread I've seen yet on FT.

Coming from someone who spent a lot of time on the UA/CO forums during the merger, I tend to think that is saying quite a bit.
As the bloggers often like to tell people who don't agree with certain posts:

You're free to NOT read this thread if it doesn't interest you, so please move along if you have no interest in the topic.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
^
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for another example for my list in the 2nd post of this thread. Do you know which blogger was the first to push it, or was the main pusher of it, or were there many bloggers who posted about it before it died?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:46 pm

The bloggers and blog leeches may have killed Grand Slam, but luckily they have not discovered how we manufacture Coke Rewards by using a microscope to view the numbers inside the caps of Sprite bottles.

Yes an entire forum buried in the US Airways site. With individual threads for each partner. Entirely different than a one page article as your primary blog outlining exactly which items to buy, which partner to use for the least cost. It was all spoonfed on the blog. My problem is with the spoon feeding.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Most of what we accept as proof is really correlation. Take prescription drugs. Testing of said drugs doesn't really prove that the drugs work (see placebos) or won't kill you (see Phen Phen). Most drugs are safe for most people, but... look at the possible side effects. Not proof, correlation. But enough for the FDA to approve.

Much of science is based on repeated correlation not necessarily proof.

So yes, many of our examples are correlations. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quakes like a duck. It's a duck.

Unless it's a witch.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Thank you for another example for my list in the 2nd post of this thread. Do you know which blogger was the first to push it, or was the main pusher of it, or were there many bloggers who posted about it before it died?
You do realize that the programs actively monitor Flyertalk, right?

United is in the United forum here every day. So when threads explode here on Flyertalk, you think that the programs don't notice it? Especially when they have employees whose job it is to monitor Flyertalk?

Look, it's great to want to find a way to keep discussions on the down low. But I don't think that blaming "bloggers" for every deal that goes south is correct either.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
Are you kidding me? How many of these deals have you been involved in? How many deals have you been using for years only to see it pop up on blogs/FT and die in a month or two? If you want to keep your eyes closed that is fine. Were you one of thoses that claimed the "Mint" deal could not be killed?
You believe what you want to believe. You have no proof. Try to understand that you simply have not proved your claim in any way, shape or form. You've only shown one correlation among many possible correlations. You've not even approached causation.

I also dislike the attitude that the deals should only belong to the select few. That's a selfish attitude that is contrary to the reason FT exists, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.