Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:16 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Making a blog is easy getting traffic is the hard part..
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Heads up

After going through every post here, the editorial board of Travel Blogger Buzz (TBB) has decided to feature a link to it in tomorrow's post. TBB is a new blog reviewing other travel blogs and ranting about them. We add a humorous/sarcastic/vitriolic spin to it and MMS remains our favorite

I even mentioned on twitter that we should start a Ranting Area website and go face to face against Boarding (or Bored as some call it) Area.

sbm12: Have no idea what you are offering but I can use some tech help. But I have no capital to invest as I have no affiliate credit card link money (my favorite topic to rant on by the way). And time is extremely limited now with the blog #whatdidIgetmyselfinto

I am featuring aviator8's comment on page 4 #49. There are others I could add, some are really funny. Maybe over the next days I can add some more.

Thank you guys

One more note: It is ALL about the money. The money is in credit card apps. As I type and as you read there were several new bloggers getting into this to make some money pimping more credit cards. Some have good original content. Most are just Chase Bank's b***hes. THAT is the major development in this hobby...the soul of this addictive hobby is getting eaten up one cc app click at a time

My comments area is always open for rants against bloggers, no censoring as long as you do not take it on a personal level!

Groove on

Last edited by gpapadop; Nov 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reason: edit bad word
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you want a custom domain name or support from someone other than the big company I can offer those things free (assuming you pay the registrar fee). I'm pretty sure that those options are not free from WordPress. Plus I'm willing to help walk you through the process rather than assuming you just understand everything on your own.

I'm sure it isn't for everyone but the offer is there.
Ahhh, OK. That is a very kind offer. I am pretty tech-savvy, I do own several domains, some VBulletin software as I used to have a forum but migrated to Facebook to reach a more international audience so I just keep it to archive my FB posts via an RSS feed. Blogging is about the only thing I haven't done online as my Facebook (which auto-feeds onto Twitter) page pretty well fills that need and my speciality is using miles and points to facilitate eco-tourism and especially birding. The only deal I want to kill is the ones wildlife poachers have with bird/animal traffickers.

Still trying to decide if I should make a blog and if so, whether to use Wordpress, Blogger or what? The one thing I don't want which the Boarding A blogs have is having to link to each other as there are some on there I would never want to link to but I have seen the way they all have the top 10 or so blogs linked down the side.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by gpapadop
One more note: It is ALL about the money.
Could not be more true. Those Chase $$$ are real big. Some day they won't be, and there will be many less blogs again.

By the way ... why is Ann Arbor MI such a hot bed for miles and points junkies!?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Tiki:

Wordpress.

I started mine in Blogger as I have kept a very small family blog for many years there and I am familiar with it. Everything I read says the same thing, use Wordpress & get own domain.

Here is a good article I will finally get to read it all tonight:

http://heidicohen.com/superstar-bloggertricks/

Let me warn you, it is a TIMESUCK. Something that kept me from doing it for years. And my fear was CORRECT!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:26 pm

After going through every post here, the editorial board of Travel Blogger Buzz (TBB) has decided to feature a link to it in tomorrow's post. TBB is a new blog reviewing other travel blogs and ranting about them. We add a humorous/sarcastic/vitriolic spin to it and MMS remains our favorite

I even mentioned on twitter that we should start a Ranting Area website and go face to face against Boarding (or Bored as some call it) Area.

sbm12: Have no idea what you are offering but I can use some tech help. But I have no capital to invest as I have no affiliate credit card link money (my favorite topic to rant on by the way). And time is extremely limited now with the blog #whatdidIgetmyselfinto

I am featuring aviator8's comment on page 4 #49. There are others I could add, some are really funny. Maybe over the next days I can add some more.

Thank you guys

One more note: It is ALL about the money. The money is in credit card apps. As I type and as you read there were several new bloggers getting into this to make some money pimping more credit cards. Some have good original content. Most are just Chase Bank's b***hes. THAT is the major development in this hobby...the soul of this addictive hobby is getting eaten up one cc app click at a time

My comments area is always open for rants against bloggers, no censoring as long as you do not take it on a personal level!

Groove on
George, I do enjoy your blog and find some of the comments hilarious. The one thing is that you are probably driving more traffic to the offending bloggers as it is human nature to gawk at train wrecks. What do you think about my idea of using nicknames or acronyms so we know who you are talking about but you don't increase their traffic?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:29 pm

Tiki:

Well, this will be added tomorrow when I post the thread link:

The TBB editorial board is reviewing the policy of adding links to the other blogs featured daily as, after reviewing the thread above, just realized that doing this only leads to these blogs rating higher on google searches, which leads to more credit card app money, which leads to more cc filler posts, which leads to even more cc app money,which…Rinse and repeat. A decision will be made when the board gets around to it. Feedback is welcome to influence the Board!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly how does OP intend to prove that any particular deal was killed by a particular blogger? No one here can show a cause/effect link unless the company involved tells us why the deal died, and when do they do that?

I've developed a working hypothesis, though -- all deals are killed by the people who complain about the deal being killed. They're just trying to cover up their own culpability. I suggest a test by ordeal.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:58 pm

Tiki:

Wordpress.

I started mine in Blogger as I have kept a very small family blog for many years there and I am familiar with it. Everything I read says the same thing, use Wordpress & get own domain.

Here is a good article I will finally get to read it all tonight:

http://heidicohen.com/superstar-bloggertricks/

Let me warn you, it is a TIMESUCK. Something that kept me from doing it for years. And my fear was CORRECT!
Interesting article! I also read the one about branding. I do have a "brand" so to speak--so I would want to be able to customize it to match my other websites and upload my own banner. You can see it on the link in my siggy, the main site links to everything else. I do have time to spare as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I like the custom background on your blog.

Tiki:

Well, this will be added tomorrow when I post the thread link:

The TBB editorial board is reviewing the policy of adding links to the other blogs featured daily as, after reviewing the thread above, just realized that doing this only leads to these blogs rating higher on google searches, which leads to more credit card app money, which leads to more cc filler posts, which leads to even more cc app money,which…Rinse and repeat. A decision will be made when the board gets around to it. Feedback is welcome to influence the Board!
^^^
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

sbm12: Have no idea what you are offering but I can use some tech help.
My offer is to give you a hosting platform where you can run your WordPress blog from. I'll even get the platform up and configured and running. A pretty simple offer.

One more note: It is ALL about the money.
No, it really isn't. Certainly not for everyone. And the anger espoused is pretty silly most days. So is repeatedly referring to yourself in the third person.
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Making a blog is easy getting traffic is the hard part..
Indeed, it is.
Originally Posted by Tiki
The one thing I don't want which the Boarding A blogs have is having to link to each other as there are some on there I would never want to link to but I have seen the way they all have the top 10 or so blogs linked down the side.
I don't bother with that at all, if you're actually asking. You get to host your own site. Put ads, CC links or whatever else you want. I really don't care.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That said the technical process of creating a blog is hardly difficult.
Yup...it is easy enough that I do it for free for folks interesting in some travel writing. :-:

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:24 pm

>>>>>My offer is to give you a hosting platform where you can run your WordPress blog from. I'll even get the platform up and configured and running. A pretty simple offer.

For free? If not, how much? PM is ok. That means I need to find time to use Wordpress which I don't right now. And then need to worry about porting over everything. So...I just neglect it all and spend time on writing good content

>>>>>>No, it really isn't. Certainly not for everyone. And the anger espoused is pretty silly most days. So is repeatedly referring to yourself in the third person.

Well, what I meant was, that if no aff cc app $$$ was involved I bet that over 90% of blogs in this space would not be in existence within 6 months of such event! (If Elizabeth Warren gets chosen for the Banking Committee it may just happen Or...you know, a black swan event)
Are you doubting the existence of the hard working TBB Board? They are in session as we speak as they review the final draft of tomorrow's post. Oh, they just buzzed for more alcohol (we have plenty of them bottles as we all fly first class all the time obviously).

----Making a blog is easy getting traffic is the hard part..
>>>Indeed, it is.

Yep!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For free?
Yes.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:10 pm

Smile

Thank you guys

Groove on
hah, I am being featured in the best new blog out there. Gonna have to read this one tommorrow. Your rants are always entertaining.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Why are you scapegoating blogs when you haven't made a contribution?
IBTL
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that this sucks. But IMO, only the guys that figured out the deals in the first place have ownership of them. I don't feel like I have the right to complain about a play being burned out if I didn't do the work on it in the first place.

Bottom line, if you find something good, share it within a limited group.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.