Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Per new law, companies are "individuals" too. As such, companies can now influence the travel industry by attaching "flying/staying on behalf of" field into the reservation so that the company earns the miles/points over the individual.
The definition of individuals in that sense is up to the airlines, not the legal definition used in electoral-speech laws (it's far from clear whether that even extends to running for office, for example.) The airlines will do it if and when it's in their interest, and would have probably done so anyway had they seen an interest in doing so.

Remember, if they can cut costs by shipping manufacturing jobs to China, the company can go after white collar workers next. Union manufacturing laborers once said "if you don't give me the perks, I'll quit my job and go elsewhere." Reality: they're out of a job because they didn't make amends and industry wide, manufacturing went to China. And lately, companies are beginning to look at white collar perks these days now to cut costs in the office space.
No amount cheaper where an American could still EAT (for one, forget support a family) is going to be able to compete with below-minimum-wage unskilled manufacturing jobs overseas. It's a bunk comparison; the move of some lower-skilled white collar jobs like call centers or some SW development and tech support jobs to places like India is a better one, although even there we've seen mixed results and announcements of the death of the American IT industry seems premature (indeed, most of the layoffs Isaw blamed on "we're being outsourced" complaints in the dot-com failure days seem in retrospect to mainly be a sign of the general collapse of the bubble.)

They're no obligation to hire you just because of collecting miles/points, from a company perspective, they'd rather collect those miles/points on their own as they're the ones paying for them, and use miles/points for their own benefit rather than yours. If the person doesn't like it, they're free to leave, there's millions of unemployed Americans out there willing to take that person's job who'd be willing not to earn miles/points perks for the sake of feeding their families right now.
How many of those are qualified, and young enough? Companies are going to continue to avoid hiring older workers as far as they can evade the relevant laws, and companies are going to be reluctant to train people, especially non-college grads and to a lesser extent new grads. From what I can see, given the very narrow corporate definition of "qualified" in many fields there is a shortage of qualified people.

The miles flown by all of the road-warriors of a company can be put together for redemption (at full anytime mileage award rate) for many people on a tradeshow overseas instead of shelling out tens of thousands of dollars.
If it was that good of a deal, why don't companies already negotiate for it? Meanwhile, what's in it for the airline?

Many of the roadwarriors are also top level elites in their programs, earning 25%~100% bonus miles. Say if three people in ACME Corp makes LAX-JFK roundtrip on AA every month and they all are PLT or EXP elites in the AAdvantage program, they're earning 356,400 RDM (2475 mi x 2 x 2 x 3 x 12) combined; that's enough to send 7 people to an annual tradeshow in Japan or Korea in economy at saver value or 3 people at the anytime redemption rate, for practically nill instead of spending thousands of dollars per person. AA would probably love to see ACME Corp burning through their miles at full anytime rate as well. It's a win-win for both the ACME Corp and AA; there's a synergy there that can be made where AA can just add a "flying on behalf of" field in their reservation system so that miles go to ACME Corp.
If they're willing to book it far enough to get saver fares, they'd also be able to schedule it such that they could use discount Y at around a single thousand per person.

Meanwhile, the airline loses the loyalty-value of the individual miles earning, and if the company either is willing to send a guaranteed amount of its business (or all of it) to AA, it can get already better fares by agreement with AA while if it isn't, AA doesn't see any advantage of the companies getting the miles.

So I don't see what's in it for AA in your scenario - remember, these programs aren't an entitlement, they're a marketing tool.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:46 pm

Let's also not forget that not everyone is or wants to be in a company or industry that requires constant travel. Plenty of people go to the office from 9-5 and never see the inside of an airplane. If one job requires heavy travel with no personal rewards accrual, it might be time to evaluate other career options.

Also, think about the voluntary denied boarding compensation issues that would arise. Today, that flight voucher could be used to make the expensive impossible possible for leisure travel. So if you can, it could be worth the inconvenience to volunteer. However, if the company controls the FF credits, you'd be volunteering to spend the night in another city...to feed the company. Fewer people would think it worthwhile to bother volunteering, leaving the airline to forcibly bump people and pay more.

Another point: What about those business rewards credit cards being advertised? Ex Chase Ink, with an introductory 40,000 points, good for a $400 travel voucher, intended for a business trip? Theoretically, as a sort of compromise, if the company pays the employees' airfare with that card, the company can still earn business travel rewards, while the employee could still get their personal miles. But the company could still decide to go after those as well. And the business award trip would earn the employee no miles.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Oct 11, 2010 at 10:39 am
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Let's also not forget that not everyone is or wants to be in a company or industry that requires constant travel. Plenty of people go to the office from 9-5 and never see the inside of an airplane. If one job requires heavy travel with no personal rewards accrual, it might be time to evaluate other career options.
There's a lot of truth to what you say. Several years ago, I was an airline ramp rat, and had the opportunity to do some temporary work at another base. Truth be told, after a couple of weeks, living out of a hotel really started to suck. Unfortunately, I didn't accrue any miles or hotel points. There really was nothing "extra" in it for me for helping the company out.

Two years ago, I talked to US Airways about two different employment opportunities. The pay was lousy, and neither position was at a European gateway. (Mandatory connections on standby travel don't make for good trips.)

I ended up with a job that pays pretty well, doesn't require travel, and gives me 4 weeks vacation + federal holidays (I get 5 weeks vacation after three years of service.)

I like traveling when I want to and the ability to afford the really nice vacation every once in awhile. Does it suck to be the average joe when I travel? Yeah, but my situation also means I can outright pay for the nicer things when I want to.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Corporations are people too now
It is a long-standing point of corporate law that corporations have the rights and responsibilities of an individual person. I don't think the recent court decisions are as sweeping or meaningful as you posit.

If you imagine that this single court decision suddenly gives corporate travel departments a huge power over airlines that they were previously lacking, I think you are mistaken.

so IT systems can easily change to:
Name: John Doe
flying on the behalf of: Acme Corp.
Miles/Points: ACMECORP account number
[IF 'flying on the behalf of field' = entry, THEN Miles/Points cannot be changed]
Yeah, why don't they just whip that up - I'm sure they could do it in HTML in a few minutes - and push out the changes? I think you are seriously underestimating the difficulty of adding a database field to an enterprise mainframe system that was probably written in COBOL more than thirty years ago. As an example, AA can't even set up the accounting to separate BIS miles from credit card miles for the purposes of lifetime status - and the data necessary to enable that logic already exist in their systems.

Further, if they do make that change, then I'm going to start an internet corporation that pays you a salary of $.005 per mile when you let me make the reservation "on behalf of JanetDoe LLC". Sort of a reverse travel agency for the millions of people who will never have enough miles to do anything themselves, but would love to save a couple of bucks on their flight to visit Aunt Millie. @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I see that the main reason this doesn't happen more often is that it is bad business for the airlines:

First, it eliminates the whole point of FF programs -- encourage customer loyalty. I'm more willing to take an extra stop to fly with my preferred airline or drive an extra mile to stay at my preferred hotel chain because of the points and status.

Second, since many travelers don't ever redeem their points, this likely would substantially increase the % of miles that get redeemed.

Third, since businesses would presumably have sophisticated software and experienced staff to control the use of the miles, the redemptions would be likely be used for better value than most people would use them.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The high-mileage employees also tend to be high-value and are going to scream bloody murder.

The low-mileage employees won't care, but also won't have enough miles in a single account to claim a meaningful award. Remember, no pooling under current rules.

I could see this working at a small company informally but not at a large one. The small companies aren't going to be getting rock-bottom contract rates anyway.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:25 pm

I work for a large gov contractor company - 80 000 employees plus in the US, and 6 months ago we moved to the cheapest carrier, and cheapest hotel(based on rank within the company), and of course no miles/points for either. That was a big hit, a lot complained, some left, but no changes. It looks like it will be adopted everywhere pretty soon.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Great seeing good and valid points from both sides in this matter. But overall, we can all see that one thing that benefits the individual does not necessarily mean it benefits the company. Some have noted that they are willing to add an extra leg or drive a bit more to get miles/points, but from the company perspective these are all unnecessary costs that just add up to wasted time and money; costs which companies would like to be dampened in these tough times.

Now it seems some have mentioned that they know of companies or have even worked for a company that already made the switch. Judging by this, it seems like this is the way things are going these days, yet another reality that corporate cost cutting is hurting more and more people for what they took for granted in the past decades or so. Seems like one person even mentioned working for a huge government contractor, hinting signs that these are what corporate America is seriously looking at, and might entice the travel industry to see what synergies can be developed; I mean face it, the travel industry of today is more heavily dependent upon business travelers these days over the common travelling individual.

Originally Posted by nkedel
How many of those are qualified, and young enough? Companies are going to continue to avoid hiring older workers as far as they can evade the relevant laws, and companies are going to be reluctant to train people, especially non-college grads and to a lesser extent new grads. From what I can see, given the very narrow corporate definition of "qualified" in many fields there is a shortage of qualified people.
I think this is diverging from the topic, but c’mon, get realistic. There’s only as far as much as companies can go to be selective in their hiring process. The “experience” factor is, let’s face it, utter BS as you and I both know it; we’re just lucky to be hired when the process of today wasn’t the norm back then, when companies actually took the time to train people. In fact, I think it’s akin to underestimating the intelligence and the can-do will power of most Americans.

The truth is, there is no shortage of qualified applicants, it’s just that the hiring process of America of today is stuck in this vicious cycle of “need experience to get a job, but you can’t get a job because you have no experience, and no company is willing to train you to help you gain that experience.” And even though you said to a lesser extend newly grads, but for the past few years, many new grads fresh out of college are still stuck at being baristas at Starbucks.

And is this helping America at all? How on earth are we supposed to start becoming productive again by making Made in USA TV and electronics here when companies won’t hire Americans because they have no prior experience in making consumer electronics? Gee, maybe because the people who know how to make consumer electronics in the US are already in retirement age and there haven’t been any younger generations having the know-how how to make them ever since we became dependent on Sonys, Sharps, Toshibas and Panasonics?

Of course there’s going to be shortage of qualified people; because even people who are perfectly qualified if they get a chance to prove themselves that they can do it are shunned off without giving them a try. One company that I know of has begun to re-think their hiring strategy by implementing a two month “minimum wage policy” for prospective applicants. People are willing to take that two month white collar job at minimum wage, and surprisingly the applicants who took that job were able to grasp the job quickly within those two months even without prior experience in the field.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:41 pm

Why don't I see many customers in business suits when I stop at a Motel 6 on a roadtrip? Cheapest area rate most of the time, and no rewards. Out of all the 6s I stayed at, I think I saw one guy in a suit with a rollaboard, in San Diego.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Why don't I see many customers in business suits when I stop at a Motel 6 on a roadtrip? Cheapest area rate most of the time, and no rewards. Out of all the 6s I stayed at, I think I saw one guy in a suit with a rollaboard, in San Diego.
Be glad companies haven't heard of youth hostels yet!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes
This I don't get. It seems pretty clear.

These travel-related perks cost money, so the payer keeps the perks.

If the company finds it necessary to let employees use the perks in order to attract talent, great, but they're under no obligation to do so otherwise.

Government employees should not get any of those perks. THAT'S MY MONEY! I paid for those perks, and non-wage inducements are already significant for government workers.

Sure, I know constant business travel is a difficult way to earn a living, but all jobs suck one way or another.
Not so fast. Virtually all programs award perks to the people whose butts are in the seat or on the mattress. The payer never has the perks, so they cannot "keep" them.

As for government employees, I counsel a more practical approach. (1) you don't know that non-wage inducments are significant enough for government employees. But more importantly, the government would have to create a Department of Frequent Flyer Miles with a bloated bureaucratic staff to regulate whether employees are using miles for federal travel. Someone would have to monitor everyone's accounts, search or awards seats, get clearance from the account holder for miles deductions, all for the benefit of avoiding government fares, which the GSA has done an effective job negotiating. I promise you, the cure is far worse than the problem.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfhscott
Not so fast. Virtually all programs award perks to the people whose butts are in the seat or on the mattress. The payer never has the perks, so they cannot "keep" them.

As for government employees, I counsel a more practical approach. (1) you don't know that non-wage inducments are significant enough for government employees. But more importantly, the government would have to create a Department of Frequent Flyer Miles with a bloated bureaucratic staff to regulate whether employees are using miles for federal travel. Someone would have to monitor everyone's accounts, search or awards seats, get clearance from the account holder for miles deductions, all for the benefit of avoiding government fares, which the GSA has done an effective job negotiating. I promise you, the cure is far worse than the problem.
Great point, and to be fair, it's not just frequent flyer miles or hotel points, but pretty much the majority of all point-based rewards programs are individual based whether it be earning miles on [any airline] to recycling inks and toners and getting cash back at Staples, or earning BestBuy RewardZone points for purchases on BestBuy.com and BestBuy retail stores.

However, corporate America is always on the look out to save a buck or two whenever they can. I mean, what's stopping from say, United Airlines at LAX from buying five large 40" LCD screens from the local BestBuy for their gate information displays, and earning enough BestBuy RewardZone points from that purchase to buy a new beer fridge for the Red Carpet lounge? Or say, Fedex Kinkos to recycle all their used toner cartridges to a local Staples or buy inks and toners in bulk from them to earn cash back rebates?

Not to be sarcastic, but with more and more cash-back/miles/points/etc. rewards these days targeted towards consumers (and corporations are consumers too), you may not be far off that someday we'll actually see "Rewards Departments" in corporations all across America

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:34 pm

Theoretically companies could require employees to pay for their own company-related travel. I hear some companies already make their employees pay for home office Internet connections, some colleges make their faculty pay for research-related travel, and I think long-haul truckers have to pay for their own lodging, meals, showers, etc.

What's best for the company is frequently not what's best for the individual. And it's not just the above example. The company can fire 1,000 people, for instance. Some of these people may have been within 2 years of retirement, and may have been a loyal employee for 35 years. So, many people increasingly argue that employee loyalty has limited merit, and employees should base decisions primarily on their own interests.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:31 pm

I mean, what's stopping from say, United Airlines at LAX from buying five large 40" LCD screens from the local BestBuy for their gate information displays, and earning enough BestBuy RewardZone points from that purchase to buy a new beer fridge for the Red Carpet lounge? Or say, Fedex Kinkos to recycle all their used toner cartridges to a local Staples or buy inks and toners in bulk from them to earn cash back rebates?

I'm pretty sure this is already being done, especially things like ink and toner. But recycling or purchasing things like that on a company charge account involve a few computerized order forms and/or telephone calls. It does not require someone to personally sacrifice days and weeks at home with family, often for a salary competitive with easier, non-travel positions.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I hear some companies already make their employees pay for home office Internet connections.
I work at home three days a week, and I have to pay for my connection, but it's a good deal considering the money I save on commuting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.