Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Chrysler had this policy in the 90s.

I believe all employees had to use a Chrysler FF number.

I remember a story about one guy always switching to his number right before boarding.

Went away in 98 or 99.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Same policy at my large company (company keeps miles). In addition, we don't get miles for rental cars (our travel office says they can negotiate a cheaper rate for no-miles rentals).

A couple years ago they even went to 'ALL reimbursable travel expenses must be on the company credit card'. That did cause a ruckus, but the company didn't back down.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:16 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The programs might not exist at all if they no longer influenced individual travel decisions. Remember, they aren't a merely a reward, they exist to influence your future travel spending.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes

Sure, I know constant business travel is a difficult way to earn a living, but all jobs suck one way or another.
Someone just a bit unhappy?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Since it's for the good of the company, I'm sure those responsible for the 2MM cost savings will voluntarily forego their bonus for thinking of it
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Since it's for the good of the company, I'm sure those responsible for the 2MM cost savings will voluntarily forego their bonus for thinking of it
Nah, those that are responsible will be the ones using our hard earned miles for their annual "golf trips" in Florida or Cabo, or government officials using them for "fact finding missions" to China

Why should you (the company/the gov't) use large sums of company money/taxpayer money for "golf trips" or "fact finding missions" when you (the company/the gov't) can use "free" miles collected by the peons of workers/gov't workers?

But seriously, giving a thought from the corporate side, there shouldn't be any reason for say ACME Corp to create its own AAdvantage number like ACMECORP, with travel industry IT reservations to be made under that company name and ACMECORP AAdvantage number, even though the person flying is Regional Sales Manager John Doe.

Right now the reservation systems are simple:
Name: John Doe
Miles/Points: [number of John Doe's account]

Corporations are people too now so IT systems can easily change to:
Name: John Doe
flying on the behalf of: Acme Corp.
Miles/Points: ACMECORP account number
[IF 'flying on the behalf of field' = entry, THEN Miles/Points cannot be changed]

I don't see anything difficult about that. Really, I think it's just that easy.

If corporate America as a whole can figure things out like shipping manufacturing jobs to China our outsourcing customer service centers to India, I'm sure they can figure "synergies" with the travel industry for a win-win on their end over the individual. grrr...

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 8, 2010 at 6:50 pm
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes
Government employees should not get any of those perks. THAT'S MY MONEY! I paid for those perks, and non-wage inducements are already significant for government workers.
And how, precisely, would you propose to get "your" value back for the miles that you paid for? A pro-rata government refund of miles to every taxpayer and purchaser of government bonds, etc? The miles did no good for anyone, ever. It was impossible to practically make use of them for the amorphous "public good", hence the change in policy.

It has an absolute zero dollar impact to the government or to the taxpayer to allow employees to keep their miles... so in what way is a taxpayer harmed or shortchanged?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:21 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
This makes a very easily answered SAT test question response: If company-paid travel = company miles, then youreadyfreddie will not squander her valuable talent, skills, and experience working for lame-o company.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
This makes a very easily answered SAT test question response: If company-paid travel = company miles, then youreadyfreddie will not squander her valuable talent, skills, and experience working for lame-o company.
And what if one by one, all the companies that you try to apply to have gone to make the switch to this new lame-o policy and you have no choice but to take what's offered?

Face it, in 21st century corporate America, we're just peons; they have no obligation and they can say "go ahead, quit and good luck finding a new job in these tough times. we have millions more people looking for a job who'll take your place."

From a corporate perspective, they can also say "fifty years ago, people travelled for business without these miles/points perks, why should we let you collect them when it's bought with our money?"

Don't get me wrong, I personally think this idea sucks, but from a corporate perspective, it makes darn good sense as a measure to lower travel expenses in these times.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
And how, precisely, would you propose to get "your" value back for the miles that you paid for? A pro-rata government refund of miles to every taxpayer and purchaser of government bonds, etc? The miles did no good for anyone, ever. It was impossible to practically make use of them for the amorphous "public good", hence the change in policy.

It has an absolute zero dollar impact to the government or to the taxpayer to allow employees to keep their miles... so in what way is a taxpayer harmed or shortchanged?
IRS refunds in frequent flyer miles, of course
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Don't get me wrong, I personally think this idea sucks, but from a corporate perspective, it makes darn good sense as a measure to lower travel expenses in these times.
I think it would actually increase expenses in practice instead of lowering them. I for one would be less willing to take the cheaper O'dark flights, travel on my days off, return the rental car full of gas (instead of prepaying,) etc. I'd probably even submit reimbursement for laundry expenses on some trips.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:05 pm

No award seats will left to frequent flyer if big companies use their miles.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by chollie
Same policy at my large company (company keeps miles). In addition, we don't get miles for rental cars (our travel office says they can negotiate a cheaper rate for no-miles rentals).

A couple years ago they even went to 'ALL reimbursable travel expenses must be on the company credit card'. That did cause a ruckus, but the company didn't back down.
Mind sharing which company you work for?

Also, by chance does anyone know what the travel policy is at Booz Allen Hamilton?

I have a job offer on the table there that will require extensive travel so I'd love to know what their policy is ahead of hand. Haha I knew I was addicted to miles when one of the first things I thought of when I received the offer was 'man I am gonna rack up miles like nobody's business if i take this!'
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: United: 1K
So if corporations can put frequent flier miles in a corporate bucket because the corporation paid for the ticket then I assume the same privilege is available to me?

Can I put my spouses miles in my name because I paid for her ticket? How about my kids miles?

Seriously, how do corporations manage this? Do they really get the airline to put the miles in a corporate account or do they expect employees to hold miles in the employees account and use them on demand of the corporation?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i don't think this would work....if they expect me to be away from my wife, my dogs & my house for 20 days in a month then they should expect me to keep the miles as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.