Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
But couldn't you, when checking in for the flight, change the FF #? Tell them that they have the incorrect FF number and the one on file is not yours, etc. Or better yet, call the airline and tell them that someone has fraudulently opened up a frequent flier account in your name, and that you were not the one who opened the account?

Also, I am genuinely curious about this, and am not just trying to argue with people.
You could at your own risk; I know people who have lost their job for using their company FF miles.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Interesting thread.

FWIW, I for one would quit my job and find a job with no travel that will keep me at home. I spend 4 days a week away from my family and earn the miles and hotel points to take them on some real nice vacations.

Monday mornings at 4 am is tough enough as it is.
Travel should not be viewed as a benefit by the company (at least for those of us with families). 4am Monday is rough, but I had to travel out on Sundays, which is worse.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Post the company so we can boycott their products!

Originally Posted by bpo26c
You could at your own risk; I know people who have lost their job for using their company FF miles.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Post the company so we can boycott their products!
Won't do that, but thankfully the policy was changed and I received quite a windfall of miles!

There are many companies out there that do keep employee miles.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All about total value of the package. If you were paid $150K/year, but had no access to any ancillary travel benefits (miles, points, etc), and were offered a job at $140K/year, with full access to those benefits -- would you take the lower-salaried job all other factors being equal? What if the new job salary were $130K or $120K?

Put simply, it's the total package, not the individual factor. If you are travelling on Sundays and at 4 AM on Monday's, that's hopefully reflected in your compensation. If it's not, you should be negotiating for compensation or leaving for something better -- if there is something better.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bpo26c
Travel should not be viewed as a benefit by the company (at least for those of us with families). 4am Monday is rough, but I had to travel out on Sundays, which is worse.
I used to fly Sunday as well but not after having my kid. Its important to set expectations right up front with your bosses and clients. Sure there are exceptions, but they should remain exceptions and not start becoming a regular occurance. A good way to sell Mon AM travel is highlighting the savings from a extra night of hotel (and perhaps the rental car)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.