Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay your rent online, earn miles!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by thumby
You could always go the Bluebird route and send a check.
But, OP can pay rent with CC directly. Using BB negates benefit.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by planetrain
I am moving to a new apartment, and discovered they allow me to use a credit card for rent payments. This is great news, because it'll allow me to increase my credit card spend quite easily.

If anyone else lives in an apartment that accepts a service like RentPayment, this is something worth looking into.

My question is, what credit card would be best to use? The obvious answer would be "any requiring meeting spend", but let's move beyond that.

The cards I currently have are:

Chase Mileage Explorer Plus
Chase Marriott
Chase Southwest
Chase Priority Club
Chase Sapphire
Chase Ink Bold
American Express Platinum
Bank of America Hawaiian Miles
Citi Hilton

My current thought is the Mileage Explorer, because you get 10k extra miles after spending $25k in a calendar year. Any other cards I have a better choice and why, or is there a card out there I don't have that would be recommended for such high spending?

I thought about the AMEX Business with 75k sign-up, but they do not accept AMEX.
I use RentPayment to ay my rent. $39 for a $3000 monthly payment is certainly worth it to me. I use it to complete min spending on Visa cards and switch to my Freedom if I don't have a min spend to complete.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by mtftw
I use RentPayment to ay my rent. $39 for a $3000 monthly payment is certainly worth it to me. I use it to complete min spending on Visa cards and switch to my Freedom if I don't have a min spend to complete.
I still don't see why Bluebird isn't a better value to do this.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:28 am

Opportunity cost. You are limited on how much you can load and pay with Bluebird. Until you are limited, you can pay X or pay your rent. But once you are limited you may not be able to pay X with a CC, but you can pay the rent. So if you will be limited, it may be better to pay X with bluebird and pay the rent with a CC.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I still don't see why Bluebird isn't a better value to do this.
Well, I would have to go to CVS 3 times a month in order to buy 6 VRs. I figure it takes me 5 minutes to walk to CVS, 5-10 minutes to checkout depending on if there is a line or the clerk takes a while, then 5 minutes to walk back. So that's conservatively 15 minutes of work plus * 3 = 45 minutes + 3.95 * 6.

3.95 * 6 = 23.70. 39.00 (cost of paying via RentPayment) - 23.70 = 15.30.

So really it's only most cost-effective if you value the $15 you save more than the 45 minutes it takes you to get the VRs. I don't. I can pay rent from my computer while at work without taking my hand off my coffee mug.

Not to mention, this never raises flags from issuers or CVS clerks.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Well, I would have to go to CVS 3 times a month in order to buy 6 VRs. I figure it takes me 5 minutes to walk to CVS, 5-10 minutes to checkout depending on if there is a line or the clerk takes a while, then 5 minutes to walk back. So that's conservatively 15 minutes of work plus * 3 = 45 minutes + 3.95 * 6.

3.95 * 6 = 23.70. 39.00 (cost of paying via RentPayment) - 23.70 = 15.30.

So really it's only most cost-effective if you value the $15 you save more than the 45 minutes it takes you to get the VRs. I don't. I can pay rent from my computer while at work without taking my hand off my coffee mug.

Not to mention, this never raises flags from issuers or CVS clerks.
OK, your logic makes sense here. Especially since I can place a *tremendous* value on my personal time! (I can hear my wife's eyes rolling at me even now...)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:39 pm

OK, your logic makes sense here. Especially since I can place a *tremendous* value on my personal time! (I can hear my wife's eyes rolling at me even now...)
Obviously, it's hugely subjective based on your personal situation. I work 80+ hours a week and value any spare shred of time away from the office very highly. Might not be the same story as someone who is un/underemployed and values money over their time.

Different strokes for different folks. If I couldn't use RentPayment, I would consider using BlueBird much more than I currently do.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
OK, your logic makes sense here. Especially since I can place a *tremendous* value on my personal time!
We all highly value our time and it is limited...but we do spend a lot of time here on flyertalk, somtimes hours on end. Some see it as an "investment".

Anyways, I agree, this method, though expensive, is easy and saves time. I only use it to meet minimum spend, and as a true Flyertalker, I am always trying to meet minimum spend.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:23 pm

Obviously, it's hugely subjective based on your personal situation. I work 80+ hours a week and value any spare shred of time away from the office very highly. Might not be the same story as someone who is un/underemployed and values money over their time.

Different strokes for different folks. If I couldn't use RentPayment, I would consider using BlueBird much more than I currently do.
agreed!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:52 am

OK about this Rentpayment... Their website is awful to get info from. Can a renter pay through this service without their landlord being signed up for it? I'm a bit confused how it works.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Has anyone used this site recently to pay their rent? I have to meet my minimum spend next couple of months and I just signed up for WilliamPaid. I just don't know if this is something that will be treated as a cash advance which will kill this for me. Anyone have any data points on this recently?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by floyd777
Has anyone used this site recently to pay their rent? I have to meet my minimum spend next couple of months and I just signed up for WilliamPaid. I just don't know if this is something that will be treated as a cash advance which will kill this for me. Anyone have any data points on this recently?
No issues using an Amex Delta Platinum card last year.

What card are you planning to use?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ballinONaBUDGET
OK about this Rentpayment... Their website is awful to get info from. Can a renter pay through this service without their landlord being signed up for it? I'm a bit confused how it works.
I'm wondering the same thing. Apparently they charge to the tune of 1%, while WilliamPaid charges 2.95%. But you can't just sign up and go, it seems your landlord must be signed up for this too. Do they charge a landlord? Does anyone have a first-hand experience with Rentpayment?
------------
Forget it. They charge landlords $10 a month PLUS 2.95% for using a credit card. No go.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Identity Platnium (Cosmopolitan), Palladium Card, Hilton Diamond

Sounds like a lifestyle of someone getting crushed in IB, haha. Hopefully it won't continue for too long!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by floyd777
william paid works fine, i have used all branded CC chase, amex, citi etc even biz cards to pay rent. though for last 2 months I have been using BB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.