Pay your rent online, earn miles!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay your rent online, earn miles!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:31 pm

Question Question about WilliamPaid

In order to use your credit card to pay rent on WilliamPaid, are there incremental fees that apply beyond the initial $5/month that they charge? Is it difficult to cancel the account?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:50 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayes
i don't seeit the same way. its $29 a year to have rent paid and reported to my credit if i use a check....
Originally Posted by hejustlaughs
This sounds so much like a shill post (albeit a bad one). First post?
I'd agree, still a first post.

FYI, the credit bureaus are looking into ways to obtain rent payment history/data from landlords to assist in building one's credit. No bureau to date is actually using it IIRC.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
FYI, if anyone is remotly interested, William Paid is a "small business" based in IL, so you will get a $10 AMEX credit for your July rent payment if made by 7/4 and if you sign up for Small Business credit. It was unexpected, I was happy to get my $10 credit
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:22 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jakekopp
In order to use your credit card to pay rent on WilliamPaid, are there incremental fees that apply beyond the initial $5/month that they charge? Is it difficult to cancel the account?
Welcome to FlyerTalk. The information you need is here:

http://www.williampaid.com/pricing

How much does it cost to pay my rent?
To pay your rent with any bank account is FREE. However, should you choose to pay by credit card, or use multiple accounts, a 2.95% fee will apply.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
FYI, if anyone is remotly interested, William Paid is a "small business" based in IL, so you will get a $10 AMEX credit for your July rent payment if made by 7/4 and if you sign up for Small Business credit. It was unexpected, I was happy to get my $10 credit
nice one, thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:25 pm

Btw - This month I met by SPG card minimum using Williampaid. I just cancelled the service (rent payment) a few weeks ago. I used it for 3 months. Everything went smooth.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to FlyerTalk. The information you need is here:
Thanks for the reply!

I was just wondering if any users have experienced any hidden fees or anything. Otherwise, I'm not sure how they make money on this product. If the consumer is paying $5/mo. to pay rent (1 transaction per month) and say avg rent is $500-1000 and WilliamPaid has to pay the cc fee of around 3% = $15-30 per rent payment. Fairly negative profit margin...unless FICO is using this as a loss leader to try to build this alternative FICO score that they're talking about, which they can resell or they've established special rates w/ the card companies/can somehow pool transactions in a profitable way.

Seems fairly straightforward w/ respect to pricing/cancellation, I just have seen a number of predatory businesses (e.g. Stamps.com, eFax) where cancellation is impossible/there are hidden fees or something like that. Any thoughts?

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:15 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jakekopp
... If the consumer is paying $5/mo. to pay rent (1 transaction per month)
The consumer is paying $5 per month plus 2.95% of the payment amount. This suggests that their credit card transaction fee expenses are lower than your estimate.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The consumer is paying $5 per month plus 2.95% of the payment amount. This suggests that their credit card transaction fee expenses are lower than your estimate.
Ah thanks, that's the part I was pretty sure I was missing...for some reason it wasn't immediately apparent to me on the page. Makes a lot more sense now...Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:14 pm

Tell me what I am missing:

BoA Virgin Atlantic gives 1.5 miles for each dollar spent and 15,000 anniversary bonus after spending $25,000

Say you spend exactly $25,000 within a year = 37,500 + 15,000 = 52,500

Virgin Atlantic miles transfer 1:2 to Hilton = 105,000 points

WP 2.95% fee on $25,000 is $737.5, which is effectively buying HH points at 0.7c. If I recall correctly those are usually valued at 1c per point.

If you include card's $90 annual fee, you get 0.78c per point.

Sounds like a good deal?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by BigRedBears

BoA Virgin Atlantic gives 1.5 miles for each dollar spent and 15,000 anniversary bonus after spending $25,000

WP 2.95% fee on $25,000 is $737.5, which is effectively buying HH points at 0.7c. If I recall correctly those are usually valued at 1c per point.

Sounds like a good deal?

Been doing similar math in my head as well and can't seem to figure out why anyone would do this
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold

Sounds like a good deal?
You are probably overvaluing Hilton points..
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kyunbit
You are probably overvaluing Hilton points..
Hilton points vary quite a bit depending on the redemption level, but I'd say .7 is fairly close to a fair value. Keeping in mind, fair is very subjective.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs

Sounds like a good deal?
Unlike Chase/Citi, BOA's IT systems are pretty screwed up. People had difficulty getting the anniversary bonus and had to follow up with multiple phone calls to get it corrected. If u love HH, just churn BOA HA and VA card and pretty soon, u will be running some serious HH . Good luck!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
This is very creative, if you value points that high, go for it.
As a reference, you can buy directly from Hilton at $.01 per point.
I value at half of that.
You can also apply for a couple credit cards that are fee free and and get the same 100K for no out of pocket expense (just credit pulls)

Or if you spend that $737.50 on actual stays at Hiltons on relaxing vacations, pay using the surpass and having gold status plus the current 3x Weekend promo plus my way, Amex booking bonus, GG 40% sale, Gold bonus, etc, you will end up with around 50K and have plenty of nice memories of your stays. (plus th current Surpass 50K sign up promo if you dont have it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.