Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay your rent online, earn miles!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
Why not use something like Venmo? That is how I pay my rent... and my nanny. Zero fees... I'm sure Venmo is eating those fees for now. You just need your landlord to signup for free and then it goes direct checking to checking...without fees.
Who cares about checking to checking? How do you earn miles that way???

This whole thread is about earning miles while paying your rent, not about any old way to pay your rent without fees.

And you can generally (single step*) only earn miles with a credit card, which Venmo does charge a fee for. Here's their list of payment method fees:
FEES FOR TRANSFERRING MONEY (SENDER PAYS)

Venmo Balance FREE
Bank Transfer FREE
Most Debit Cards FREE
Credit Card 3%
https://venmo.com/info/product

* Yes, you can use Manufactured Spending techniques to turn credit card payments into other types of payments, but you don't Venmo for that. It's much simpler to MS into Bluebird and use Bluebird for free conventional bill pay to your landlord, which doesn't require your landlord to set anything up.

I think you missed the point of this thread: People here were looking for the lowest fees while accepting credit cards for rent payment; they already know of lots of low-to-no-fee ways to pay rent without getting miles for it.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
I read on some blog that williampaid has a $5,000 per month limit on rent payments. Is this true (or still true)?

If I read this thread correctly, no one has had an issue of payments being charged as a cash advance rather than a purchase. FWIW, I'm looking to meet a minimum spend on a Citi AA MC.
Last year I used Williampaid for about 9 months to meet minimum spend. All worked fine. Maximum per single transaction was $2500, but don't know about the monthly max.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:21 am

FYI I was able to go over $5k for a month or two last year (paid my parent's rent along with my own) by emailing them a copy of a rent agreement with > $5k agreement. Took about 2 days to arrange. They were helpful.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
When I used to use it to pay rent, it never asked for any sort of rental agreement papers/confirmation. So can I use it to pay myself, or a family member, and then cash out that way?
Old May 22, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Anyone knows if using Barclay's Arrival card for a rent payment of $2000 will treat as a purchase or a cash advance?
Old May 23, 2014, 6:20 am

Purchase
Old May 23, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by floyd777
Anyone knows if using Barclay's Arrival card for a rent payment of $2000 will treat as a purchase or a cash advance?
Keep in mind that, with the fees, there is really no reason to use the arrival card on William Paid. The 2.95% completely negates the ~2.2% return from the arrival card.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG
I would skip using williampaid, but it's useful for meeting spending on AA 100k
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
AA

With the 3X bonus on the AA card it is not bad at Gas or Drugstores at the moment.

Originally Posted by Shuai Zeng
I would skip using williampaid, but it's useful for meeting spending on AA 100k
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
The best way IMHO to earn miles to pay rent is to load my Bluebird card with my ST DL debit card. I load the card (earning miles) and buy MOs and use said MO's to pay my rent.

Money is money as long as its on time claims my landlord.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:12 pm

3X bonus on the AA card need signup??

Citi treat Bluebird card as a cash advance??
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
The best way IMHO to earn miles to pay rent is to load my Bluebird card with my ST DL debit card. I load the card (earning miles) and buy MOs and use said MO's to pay my rent.

use venmo w/ST DL debit card?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vic2010
With the 3X bonus on the AA card it is not bad at Gas or Drugstores at the moment.
Originally Posted by vickh
3X bonus on the AA card need signup??
The 3x bonus on an AA card is a targeted promo (and yes it does need registration). Different people got different terms (in fact, not everyone got the same categories!), but it's far from limitless. For example, mine is capped at 2500 bonus miles, which is $1250 in spend (it's actually the normal 1x plus a 2x bonus, and thus $1250 will earn the 2500 max). It ends 6/30 (or at least my version does), and in my case covers gas, grocery, drug, restaurants, and commuter transportation expenses.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ing-bonus.html
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by agp423
When I used to use it to pay rent, it never asked for any sort of rental agreement papers/confirmation. So can I use it to pay myself, or a family member, and then cash out that way?
Has this subject been touched upon yet?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by kdinino

How do I get a Bluebird card? Is this a HP by Amex if I get this card?

Trying to think how I can continue to keep paying my landlord my monthly rent at the start of next year via credit card and no to little fees with the extinction of Amazon Payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.