[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Blake IV, thanks for sharing your experience. I also have a current Citi AA MC which I got Sept. 2009, have churned only once in the last 4 years, and would prefer to keep my current card and add another.
Could you please share which phone number you called at Citi?
Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onthego15
Blake IV, thanks for sharing your experience. I also have a current Citi AA MC which I got Sept. 2009, have churned only once in the last 4 years, and would prefer to keep my current card and add another.
Could you please share which phone number you called at Citi?
Thanks.
1-866-606-2787

That isn't customer service or anything. Just the # provided to call for approval after your internet app.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My story

Already have AA business card. Never had AA personal card.

8/5: Applied for personal Visa, 75K miles. Application went to step 5, "further processing is required."

8/7: Call number listed at step 5; can't tell me anything.

8/11: Get evening phone call on business line. Rep asks lots of questions about my business (I'm self-employed)--type of business, years in business, income, total money in bank & money market accounts, etc.--and my personal finances--income, amount in bank, how much pay monthly on credit cards, if I use a credit card at ATM for cash advance. I've never had to answer most of these questions to get a personal credit card before. Rep says I'll have an answer in 7-10 business days.

8/12: Get email that credit card statement is now available online. The last 4 digits don't match either of the Citi cards I have, so I'm wondering if my application was approved.

8/13: Call the number listed at step 5 and find out it has been approved and confirm it's for 75K miles.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 am

They only gave me a $1,000 credit line! Here's my story:

I have 3 cards with ~$50k worth of total credit and a citi savings and checking account with ~$80k in them and they first turned my personal $75k mile app down saying that I was at their limit for open credit. I pay off my balance every months and have charged ~$50k per year for several years. Never missed a payment.

So I applied for a business card and they approved me for $1,000 credit line. How the heck do I charge $10k in 12 months having to watch over a $1k credit line? Its freaking absurd? The customer service people at credit card customer service are powerless to do anything, I got nowhere. i just got off the phone with a customer service person after calling to speak with the Chairman of Citibank. She promised to put it through again and have a credit person personally look over my account. I offered to cancel one of my cards to make room under the cap....we'll see what happens.

This makes no sense at all. FYI, the number I called to elevate the issue is:

NY Tel. 212-559-1000

I asked for "William Rhodes", Chairman of Citigroup and Citibank.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by chillg8r
Deal with this calmly. If they don't increase your credit, call back and ask to move some of your credit line from another card to this one. For example make this one 5000 and reduce the remaining ones by a total of 4000.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:24 am
Suspended

after calling to speak with the Chairman of Citibank.
That's effective
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I applied for a business card and they approved me for $1,000 credit line. How the heck do I charge $10k in 12 months having to watch over a $1k credit line?
I had this problem with an SPG Amex - I needed to get to $15K within 6 months, and I had a $2K line.

No big deal. I just paid $5K immediately, worked it down, and sent more. Assuming you have the cash, just reverse the cycle. Pay ahead, and use it as you would a debit card effectively. Works just fine.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I had this problem with an SPG Amex - I needed to get to $15K within 6 months, and I had a $2K line.

No big deal. I just paid $5K immediately, worked it down, and sent more. Assuming you have the cash, just reverse the cycle. Pay ahead, and use it as you would a debit card effectively. Works just fine.

Yea, I thought of that too and will do that as a last resort. Its just such a SUPREMELY stupid way of doing business on Citi's side.

aktchi- I tried that, they said thre was a law against it....
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by onthego15
It's good she has NOT activated it. Someone else was able to cancel their 35K card and receive one of the higher bonuses. But I don't remember which post it was.......... Hopefully someone else will remember or that person will respond.
I was able to cancel my 35k card for the 75k card. I did NOT activate the card, which seems to be key although the CSR said that did not make a difference - according to her the account is created once approved and the card is issued, activating the card doesn't "activate" the account, it's already a live account.

See post #425 for more detail on my experience. If the first rep says no you can always call back and try again.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Data point

A new Data point -

1. I have never had Citi/AA card.
Applied for personal Visa. Approval and card came in mail.
Applied Business Visa. Rejection came in mail.

2. SO has had a Citi/AA MC for several years.
Applied for personal visa. Approval and card came in mail.
Did NOT apply for Business Visa. Should she?

I am thinking of applying for Business Visa again in October before the promo ends.

Neither of us applied for Citi/Amex. Is that a better bet?

Will all this activity give us trouble with a car loan? For how long?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
chillg8r, you might try asking for a credit line increase via the web site when you log into your account, perhaps after the first month of using the card up to its limit and fully paying it off. I haven't done this since my line is high enough.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I have 3 cards with ~$50k worth of total credit and a citi savings and checking account with ~$80k in them and they first turned my personal $75k mile app down saying that I was at their limit for open credit. I pay off my balance every months and have charged ~$50k per year for several years. Never missed a payment.

So I applied for a business card and they approved me for $1,000 credit line. How the heck do I charge $10k in 12 months having to watch over a $1k credit line? Its freaking absurd? The customer service people at credit card customer service are powerless to do anything, I got nowhere. i just got off the phone with a customer service person after calling to speak with the Chairman of Citibank. She promised to put it through again and have a credit person personally look over my account. I offered to cancel one of my cards to make room under the cap....we'll see what happens.

This makes no sense at all. FYI, the number I called to elevate the issue is:

NY Tel. 212-559-1000

I asked for "William Rhodes", Chairman of Citigroup and Citibank.
FYI you can go over your limit as long as you paid in full each month (I have AA MC and AA Amx, I did this in the past with Citi AA Amx without any problem).
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Ruh roh.

I applied for the 100k Citi AA card. They needed to verify some info.

After second thoughts, I decided to go for the 75k Citi AA card with more practical spend requirements. Instantly approved.

Unexpectedly, both came in the mail. Both with different credit limits.

Now what? Would I be eligible for both offers? I'm thinking that I'll go for the 75k first, wait for miles to post, then go for 100k. Any thoughts??
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:31 pm

Greetings, all.

I read about the AAAdvantage offer last weekend on this board. Applied for my bride and myself immediately using the links provided posting 201 by JCMitchell21.

The cards showed up today - 50K/50K option for me, 75K option for her. Woo hoo! 186,500 miles when we hit the spending targets - that will take us places.

FT and its habituees rock!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tripaddict
I applied for the 100k Citi AA card. They needed to verify some info.

After second thoughts, I decided to go for the 75k Citi AA card with more practical spend requirements. Instantly approved.

Unexpectedly, both came in the mail. Both with different credit limits.

Now what? Would I be eligible for both offers? I'm thinking that I'll go for the 75k first, wait for miles to post, then go for 100k. Any thoughts??
Both are personal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.