[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: most of them
I think the Visa offer must appear in their computer system first. When I called and asked for the AA Amex card I was first offered the Visa. Then I asked her if there was also an Amex with the same terms. After a few seconds on hold she came back with the Amex offer.

maybe you'll get lucky and receive the 75K bonus for both cards. But I would be prepared to only get one.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I think the Visa offer must appear in their computer system first. When I called and asked for the AA Amex card I was first offered the Visa. Then I asked her if there was also an Amex with the same terms. After a few seconds on hold she came back with the Amex offer.

maybe you'll get lucky and receive the 75K bonus for both cards. But I would be prepared to only get one.
Thanks. I'm guessing they offered her the Visa on the phone and without thinking she took it. How can she find out if she will get both bonuses? Should she call Citi?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by rajj
They can be combined, but you will almost certainly be denied for the Visa as an existing Aadvantage card holder. As stated in the second post of this thread, if you want two cards, you need to apply for them at the same time.
That's bad news. I should clarify that I applied for the AA Citi Visa last Friday and got accepted but I didn't exactly receive the card itself or letter yet. I applied for the AA Citi Visa this Tuesday Morning and instead of an instant approval this time, I got processing seven to ten days. I'll have to wait and see.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Advice?

Basically, I've had the Personal Visa for 4-6 months (never cancelled; might have been a big mistake), and I recently applied for the Personal Amex over the phone and was promised a 75,000 bonus after spending 1.5K within 6 months, if approved for the card. After the application was through, the agent said I'd hear back (no instant approval). Basically, a few weeks later, I got something in the mail with the header "One account. Two cards. Earn faster."

Essentially, they've replaced my personal visa with a new personal visa and added the Amex... gotten 'em both on one account. My guess is that this spells disaster and the chance of getting a 75,000 mile bonus on the new Amex is slim to none. Anyone have any insight as to how to turn this around? I need to call the 800 number to activate; anything I could say to make this work or make it a new account?

I've pasted the (truncated at times) text of the letter that came with the two cards:

Dear Citi Cardmember,

We have enhanced your existing credit card account. You now have two cards, including the Amex, to access your existing account and credit line. These two cards replace the card you are curringly carrying and provide you with more places to earn miles. We value your business, and with these two cards we hope to earn more of it.

It also goes on to mention that I can get 1.2 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent, which is nice, and also how I can have one statement, and all I need to do is call and activate.

Any way to ensure I can somehow get another bonus or is there no hope?

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope my post was informative for those of you who currently have a Visa and are thinking about applying for the Amex.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:05 pm

There's no hope, you got the add-on Amex that many have gotten. The only benefit is the 20% increase in miles per $ spent and that you have an Amex card for use in places that don't take Visa, that's about it.

--wes
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: No preference
It's a no go for you.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Please note that some people have received 50% bonus offers on Amex. You may have some leverage of you let them know that you won't activate Amex unless they give you the better offer.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...28BE27AB654A9A
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
What is you're suggestion for a AA business card seeing how CIti wants documentation now?

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
It's a no go for you.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by euromannn
What is you're suggestion for a AA business card seeing how CIti wants documentation now?
Oh... perhaps provide the documentation they ask for?

Or, if you can't provide said documentation don't apply for the business card?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by thehawk75

COMPLY with the terms??

Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
In retrospect you add no value to the post.

Last edited by euromannn; Mar 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not to be rude, but I've said this in the past about business applications and documentation in this thread: In most states it is not hard or expensive to properly license a business, why not just do it? Also, it simplifies things greatly if you apply with your name as the business name...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

In retrospect you add no value to the post.
Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for the secret password that you have to recite to the Citibank credit department in order to bypass their silly notion of verifying that the business entity for which you applied for credit does in fact exist. Why didn't you say so? Well, in that case the secret password is: rumpelstiltskin

But, be aware that this password only works on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at precisely 9:03 PM EST.

If you call at 9:04 PM, the password changes to 'gerbiltits'. I can't remember what it changes to at 9:05 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:32 pm

And yet another data point.......

Had the Citi Amex card probably about 12-18 months ago and closed it. Just applied today using the "expired but working" 50/50 promo (50k miles after $750 spend, 50k miles after 10k spend w/in 12 months). Got to step 5 and then did a live chat with a Citi rep. Was approved for a nice CL. She confirmed the promo mile terms.

Currently have the Citi Visa, which I've had for about 2-3 years. Also have a Citi Business Visa under the 50/50 promo currently open for about 4 months.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I and my SO applied for Citi cards online yesterday under the 75K offer. Both of us have long standing Citi AA Visa , more than 15 years, and were approved for the new Citi AA Amex card. In my case, they offered me a credit line, and then said, If it is not enough, we can move some of your existing line to the new account. In my SO case, approval was immediate. Waiting for the card to arrive,.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.