Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mp31rdc
I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread, but I'm not going through 400+ pages to find out! LOL
If you use the forum's default settings, the answer is exactly TWO pages before your post.

HTH.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Used the $4K spend link for AMEX - Approved for $1500

So I used the $1500 in 6 months link for the Visa and the $4000 in 6 months link for AMEX found in Post #2 of this thread. Applied Monday night and was instantly approved for both.

I received separate emails today today confirming they were both approved and the emails had separate phone numbers listed.

I called both numbers to confirm the bonus and spending requirements. They both said $1500 in 6 months for 75,000 miles bonus!

So even though I used the $4000 AMEX link, they gave me the $1500 deal.

Has anyone else run into this?

I called 800-950-5114 for the AMEX and 888-766-2484 for the Visa.

Evidently, the $1500 AMEX deal is not dead!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ia9561
So I used the $1500 in 6 months link for the Visa and the $4000 in 6 months link for AMEX found in Post #2 of this thread. Applied Monday night and was instantly approved for both.

I received separate emails today today confirming they were both approved and the emails had separate phone numbers listed.

I called both numbers to confirm the bonus and spending requirements. They both said $1500 in 6 months for 75,000 miles bonus!

Wish I had your luck. I did the same as you but unfortunately both links were exactly as posted, so for me, it was Visa $1500 and Amex $4000 spent. Rather have Amex $1500 but still better than not having the Amex deal working at all.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Rejected for one 75K & one 100K personal AA Card

Applied on 16 May '11. It's been 18 1/2 months since I had applied for the personal AA card before. Reason for rejection? "not a 1st time card user". It seems that most who apply after a 18 months wait get approved. So why wasn't I approved? My possible reasons:

1. Blacklisted as a heavy churner? Even though I have had 15 Citi AA cards in 2008 and 2009, I don't think that is the reason. I didn't draw attention to myself and it seems many have churned these cards for a couple of years.

2. Have churned 5 business cards over the past 18 months. I don't think it matters. It is pretty well documented that the business card and personal card approval processors don't compare records.

3. My best guess. On 9 Apr '10 I had a fraud alert on one of my Personal cards. It was cancelled and replaced by Citi with a new card and new card number. I think that event my have reset my waiting period back to 13 months which just wasn't enough time between applications.

I will probably wait 5 -6 more months and try again. Just thought I'd pass along my experience.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I just applied for the Amex and Visa personal cards. Was asked to call and got approved over the phone. I currently have an AA personal card that was opened two years ago.

Has anyone got approved and then received a letter regarding ineligibility?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
Look up at the top of the page for the dark blue line. See the work "Search"?

Click it and see what happens....

Originally Posted by mp31rdc
I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread, but I'm not going through 400+ pages to find out! LOL
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Happy
the 90 days are from previous BUSINESS card application.

You are fine to use the 65 days as your previous apps were not business cards.
A variation of the question.

I completed the trifecta with a business card app I made on May 18 which was approved around a week later. My most recent AA personal card app was in Feb.

I am assuming that the 'wait rules' also apply when thinking about applying for other Citi cards (e.g. the 50K Hilton is next on my shopping list).

Do I need to wait 60+ days from the date of the business app, or does the 60 days count from my last personal app (way past that timeframe already)?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I got a Citi AA Personal Visa in Dec 2010. After 65 days (in Feb 2011), I applied for a Citi AA Personal Amex and was rejected for having a Citi AA already. Can I now apply for a Citi AA Business since it has been 90 days pass last application or will I be rejected again for having a personal one?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
I got a Citi AA Personal Visa in Dec 2010. After 65 days (in Feb 2011), I applied for a Citi AA Personal Amex and was rejected for having a Citi AA already. Can I now apply for a Citi AA Business since it has been 90 days pass last application or will I be rejected again for having a personal one?
You should be able to get the business one now, especially if you've never had one.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ia9561

A variation of this just happened to me. I applied Monday evening for both VISA 15.k and Amex 4k. Was approved on the VISA, but Amex "needed further processing". I called today about the Amex, was told that I was approved and that it was for the 1.5k in 6 months spend. I used the link in post #2, so I was very surprised! And, I verified the spend amount with the csr at least 3 times during our conversation. He kept telling me that the requirement was the same for both the visa and the amex. Didn't seem to care about my having both personal cards and getting the bonus miles on each card. I did get his name, but don't know if that would help at all down the road if needed.
This will be MUCH easier for me!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User Name
A variation of the question.

I completed the trifecta with a business card app I made on May 18 which was approved around a week later. My most recent AA personal card app was in Feb.

I am assuming that the 'wait rules' also apply when thinking about applying for other Citi cards (e.g. the 50K Hilton is next on my shopping list).

Do I need to wait 60+ days from the date of the business app, or does the 60 days count from my last personal app (way past that timeframe already)?
The clock starts to count from the last application of any kind - regardless personal or business, genre, as well as whether a success or denial.

The most often mistakes newbies make is to forget denial also reset the clock to count from the application date of the denial. Therefore count your days carefully and better yet, give it a 5 - 10 days cushion. After all this is not like in the old days one can have 2 AA cards every 2 months... Now the interval is much longer but then the bonus is 3 to 4 times bigger so it is actually better because the ding to your reports is now less.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The clock starts to count from the last application of any kind - regardless personal or business, genre, as well as whether a success or denial.

The most often mistakes newbies make is to forget denial also reset the clock to count from the application date of the denial. Therefore count your days carefully and better yet, give it a 5 - 10 days cushion.
So what is the recommended wait time between last application and new application in order to be considered a new customer again?

Does the length of time you have had the cards before cancelling them matter at all? Meaning, should we cancel the cards right after we get the bonus or right before 1 year when annual fee hits?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:52 pm

I applied for 2 personal cards yesterday using the $1500 Visa link and $4000 Amex link since the $1500 Amex link was broken. After being approved for both cards, I called to confirm the spending requirements. Both cards only need $1500 spent within 6months!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:09 pm

sigh

I signed up for two personal cards earlier today and both were approved. As many have noted, I rec'd no detail of the 75k miles or the $ that needed to be spent. Tried to call and they told me I would have to wait 3-4 business days to check those items. I clicked the links that everyone is talking about on here (the $1500 Visa and $4000 Amex very early in this forum), so surely I will get the 75k??!! I called the #'s shown in the post from the person that got $1500 for both yesterday. I want to recommend the deal to a friend, but now I am nervous that the 75k didn't work!! Any suggestions?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by amcvick
I signed up for two personal cards earlier today and both were approved. As many have noted, I rec'd no detail of the 75k miles or the $ that needed to be spent. Tried to call and they told me I would have to wait 3-4 business days to check those items. I clicked the links that everyone is talking about on here (the $1500 Visa and $4000 Amex very early in this forum), so surely I will get the 75k??!! I called the #'s shown in the post from the person that got $1500 for both yesterday. I want to recommend the deal to a friend, but now I am nervous that the 75k didn't work!! Any suggestions?
If the links work, you'll get the 75K miles. No idea what the CSR was talking about with waiting 3-4 business days to check deal, you should be able to do it right away if you have the application number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.