Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:20 pm

Yum! Delicious European delicacies and dim sum right after. Of course the best meals need the best appetizers.
If you are feeling rough and tumble, you can take a turn for a safari as well, but the mode of transportation thereby differs. All under 250 USD.

I'm just getting back into the fun of these little puzzles.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by Kushluk
Yum! Delicious European delicacies and dim sum right after. Of course the best meals need the best appetizers.
If you are feeling rough and tumble, you can take a turn for a safari as well, but the mode of transportation thereby differs. All under 250 USD.

I'm just getting back into the fun of these little puzzles.
These are usually more helpful than the Cx-Cx ones. Also available in J with (I think different? - unless I got a clue wrongly) appetizer.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by tomasdev
These are usually more helpful than the Cx-Cx ones. Also available in J with (I think different? - unless I got a clue wrongly) appetizer.
How can those riddles be better than C6-NYC OW fully dumpable - pay just 2 X Base fare + Tax + cost of X factor ?
March-May.

Easy calculation from ITA.

Cx-Cx is Intra-Continent which almost by definition does not carry YQ.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jan 8, 2018 at 7:37 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
How can those riddles be better than C6-NYC OW fully dumpable - pay just 2 X Base fare + Tax + cost of X factor ?
March-May.

You own this thread, and pretty much 90% of what I learnt was from you. Forever thankful.

Some people don't put it that way, my cx-cx was referring to cases like hard-to-guess itineraries such as C1-C3 $50 r/t... that aren't even itaable without the X.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended

Understood. I was just pulling your chain a bit for good fun.
Sisyphus1carus and karlot_96 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

March-May.

I think everyone appreciates what you do, me included. I phrased mine as a Zen teaching because multiple possibilities exist.

That said, in all seriousness your mojo at this is well-known and respected.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by Kushluk

That said, in all seriousness your mojo at this is well-known and respected.
I agree totally. Most everything I've learned on this thread is a result of WWE's posts and hints.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:58 am

Earlier this week I returned from only my second ever dumped round trip. Both were on the same route (C2 – C3) transiting the busiest airport in the world for international passengers. Both were flown in J with the 1X flights in Y.

I was nervous on the first round trip a few months ago – hand baggage only and interacting with as few airline staff as possible, but thanks to advice on here, much more relaxed on the second one.

I’d flown both my 1X flights last summer on another trip. I took boarding passes for these with me along with other evidence, but didn’t need anything. No-one as much as blinked an eye on my dumped flights.

One of the 1X flights required no ID to be shown and I wondered if anyone had used a third party to fly a 1X, or if there was a market for this?

Now of course I’m hungry for more and would be willing to share experiences with others who have done something similar.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador
I dont know it i still trick it or just flightdiary ?

BTW.
I Have flown IT-AUH-IT for 2€ in past

BTW2.
For now c3 is reachable for less than 100€ RT
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

pretty much 90% of what I learnt was from you. Forever thankful.
Originally Posted by mcdevit
I agree totally. Most everything I've learned on this thread is a result of WWE's posts and hints.
Both of your comments are much appreciated.

But guess what !

FD-ing is still alive and well. Fact is that the number of people actually booking is relatively small and the relatively low loss of revenue is not worth the $ Billions to have ALL carriers make comprehensive, coordinated and very very expensive system corrections simultaneously.

Many people focus on deals gone but should instead focus on new deals coming up. Like it or not, except for few tricks, FD-ing is a never-ending process of innovations and/or resurrections. It hardly ever stays the same for long.

Here is an excellent example of positive thinking and innovation.

Though it is a LCC deal, this is still a fantastic and great deal.^
Originally Posted by wntl
I dont know it i still trick it or just flightdiary ?
BTW.I Have flown IT-AUH-IT for 2€ in pastBTW2.For now c3 is reachable for less than 100€ RT
When you can safely fly from New York to one of the tallest mountains in the world Round Trip and make free stop-over in an interesting city on return for ~ $ 250 ,then life in FD-land is not so bad after all.

Let us all welcome 2018 with hope and confidence.
Xyzzy, brizone, beyounged and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jan 14, 2018 at 12:22 am Reason: Edit to conform to rules of posting for this thread.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:15 am

C2-C1

C2-C1 €156 RT (not an American carrier and not LCC)

Last edited by Redshun; Jan 14, 2018 at 10:45 am Reason: Price
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

See 4 Exotic Places for $ 394.55 All-in R/T

C1- Mandalay Burma with 3 FREE 4-7 day Stop-overs in Chiang Mai and Bangkok + 1 City more $ 394.55 All-in R/T.

Several carriers involved.

Very ITA friendly if you know how to code your search parameters for multi-carrier

Stop-overs can be on the Outbound or Return portion of itinerary .

Bookable on almost all major OTAs, which can accommodate 6 segment or more including Priceline.com.

For those who want to make ChiangMai their final destination price is just $ 274.82

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
C1- Mandalay Burma with 3 FREE 4-7 day Stop-overs in Chiang Mai and Bangkok + 1 City more $ 394.55 All-in R/T.

Several carriers involved.

Very ITA friendly if you know how to code your search parameters for multi-carrier

Stop-overs can be on the Outbound or Return portion of itinerary .

Bookable on almost all major OTAs, which can accommodate 6 segment or more including Priceline.com.

For those who want to make ChiangMai their final destination price is just $ 274.82
I feel like I'm frustratingly close. I've managed to suck out as much as $219 of fat trying a few 3x in my (limited) repertoire but it doesn't bring it down to your fares. I'm guessing your find has nothing to do with a 3x and it's simply the combination of certain carriers which does the job and every segment would be flown?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by ft101
. Both were flown in J with the 1X flights in Y.

I’d flown both my 1X flights last summer on another trip. I took boarding passes for these with me along with other evidence, but didn’t need anything. No-one as much as blinked an eye on my dumped flights.

Now of course I’m hungry for more and would be willing to share experiences with others who have done something similar.
Now that's the way to do it.
I have managed a couple of 'tricked' trips in J for great prices but they only seemed to be one-offs, neither repeatable at other times or routes.
Been a while now :-(
I keep my eyes peeled but am not good enough with the tools find them often.
Need to get better at using EF etc...and understanding how the rules can give me hints at what to look for for tricks or 1Xs etc... and which airlines work best with which other airlines at creating FDs etc...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by FLA77
Has anyone been able to dump TK lately?
Not at all the same obviously but they have a 15% off promo at the moment in eco & bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.