Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
I found it outside ITA, I don't think this trick is ITAable.

And the price posted doesn't include the tip on your bill (unless there's a way to remove fat by opening your mouth)
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tomasdev

And the price posted doesn't include the tip on your bill (unless there's a way to remove fat by opening your mouth)
Hello Tomas and' thanks for your post.

What is your final price ? Any hints for help please.
Trying since 2 hours but didn't figured it out.
Cheers.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tomasdev

Price posted is the total amount payable. No additional charges or special cards used. Can indeed be found on ITA as previously stated.
nutsey and karlot_96 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Flying4less
Price posted is the total amount payable. No additional charges or special cards used. Can indeed be found on ITA as previously stated.
Great work I must say.

I wonder if it is similar to the one I flew in September from a very small airport in Central Europe. I think I paid $ 5-10 more than you indicate but it was with a 7 months stay in NYC ( my home base). My Sep 26, 2017 departure was semi-high season and my return to Europe is in the spring of 2018.
I was more interested in visiting central Europe and I needed to use it effectively as 2 x 1 way.

I can book it on Expedia only but have never figured out how to do it on ITA, even with advanced coding. Strange thing is that ITA priced itineraries can be booked via deeplink to Priceline but I can not get Priceline to price it directly either.

There was a time when I could also get it work from GOT and BLQ for 73-79 Euros.
Any hint as to the structure you use ? PM ?

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Originally Posted by jorun
Let's do this game. I'm assuming and I really hope* that we are talking about the same airline.
Some weeks ago the same carrier sold c2-mle RT** for 170€ AI. No 1x factor.

*I hope because otherwise I'm giving you a new dump on a silver plate.

** Didn't check if the BFs are still available because weeks ago there was few dates for the lowest fare bucket.
i have been following this page for ages and still cannot figure it out, i use ITA matrix etc and cannot get any luck.

If anyone has any tricks please message. Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waz22
i have been following this page for ages and still cannot figure it out, i use ITA matrix etc and cannot get any luck.

If anyone has any tricks please message. Thanks
If you rely on LUCK or FT Generosity then you will never fly anywhere on a dumped itinerary.

Sorry to disappoint you but Relationships-Hard Work - Imagination - and Mutually Sharing Valuable findings is the only way to get airborn.

Judging by the "Quote" you used , you are 101 % certain to go nowhere.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:49 pm

I've been trying to learn about finding dumps. Some things I don't get, I wonder if someone can answer some questions I have. Say someone posts something like this:

C2 - NYC for £55/€63 Round trip.

No 1x needed! Bookable through Expedia. A slight but useful variation enables it to be shown on ITA.
Most the posts I've seen like these, don't have any dates. Does that mean it would work for any dates?
And saying no 1x, means it would need a 2x or a 3x, right?

Should I see the discounted price once I search for it in the OTA, as soon as I search for 3 flights? I've found base fares for pennies in ITA, just not sure at what point I should add a 3rd flight to see the discounted price..

Cheers!

Last edited by MaybeiWillFly; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:58 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:15 pm

NYC-ZNZ

Anyone have any luck with this fare?
Fare 1: KL VH2OR6US NYC to ZNZ $75.00
Fare 2: KL VH2OR6US ZNZ to NYC $75.00
Fare/EoE rules are quite restrictive but it is technically permitted. While I haven't had any luck, I'm far from the most creative around. Perhaps a half rt/OJ/DOJ construction would make it happen. Would be interested to hear if it's possible.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:47 am

Thumbs up

It's indeed impressive that you can price it on ITA. Would you also mind clarifying if ITA would also price it at 63EUR/55GBP, because I think that's what's the key here..

NYC same day turnaround taxes are in a very close margin to all in price quote above, and I have never observed ITA to be forgetful about collecting the total taxes.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by andydd
Would you also mind clarifying if ITA would also price it at 63EUR/55GBP, because I think that's what's the key here.
Indeed, it would be nice to hear it (at least that the YQ is really removed on ITA). Another concern is that BF has changed slightly (or, to be exact, disappeared for the moment) 1-2 days ago... I can get about 79 euro now. Do we speak of the same deal?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Spring Time 2018 in California for Europeans

Fly C2-San Francisco Area - Stop-over - San Francisco Area - Los Angeles Stop-over - Los Angeles - C2

€217,85 All-in.

No 1X.

Waz up ?- Chill out - Surf is up dude ! !
karlot_96 likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA
C2-C3 *A €71
Also C2-C3, but different airports and on a 5* non-alliance carrier €246

I found these when trying to dump the CHF0.50 BFs (also on *A, but different from carrier listed above). I haven't been able to dump these BFs, so a hint via PM would be much appreciated.

Last edited by maxiet; Nov 4, 2017 at 8:44 pm Reason: better price
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:16 am

I just saved about 50% on my flights. wanted to fly from a-b-a, the cost was 4k USD in business. I then realized the carrier had a layover at a city about 4 hours away, so tried selecting the same exact flight a-c-b-c-a, and the price was still 4k USD. so I purchased a return ticket a-c-a, and then another ticket on c-b-c- same flights, same airlines etc etc- cost came in at 2k USD.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by jacklee
I just saved about 50% on my flights. wanted to fly from a-b-a, the cost was 4k USD in business. I then realized the carrier had a layover at a city about 4 hours away, so tried selecting the same exact flight a-c-b-c-a, and the price was still 4k USD. so I purchased a return ticket a-c-a, and then another ticket on c-b-c- same flights, same airlines etc etc- cost came in at 2k USD.
This is a great technique!
However I suspect this comes with a reason... we are risking mis-connection at c as the airline is not going to have liability to relocate us on a later flight to b/ a(when return).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
It’s not really a trick - different fares are filed for different markets (cities).

Originally Posted by jacklee
Deltahater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.