FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34356214)
You got a very narrow defintion of gatekeeping.

And you have a very wide definition of gatekeeping. In my opinion just because there are no silver spoons and there isn’t much hand holding doesn’t mean there is strict gatekeeping.

belfordrocks Jun 21, 2022 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gongoozler (Post 34355958)
Hell, I just graduated high school the other week.

Well that explains it.

Having been there myself, I suggest a different hobby :D

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 34356233)
Well that explains it.

Having been there myself, I suggest a different hobby :D

That was the exact time I was most active in this community. Little money, all the time in the world, probably no rent, certainly very little responsibility. Now I have a wife, mortgage, job, and soon a kid, there is no time, and very little flexibility for these tricks.

Have fun gongoozler. See the world!

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 34356229)
And you have a very wide definition of gatekeeping. In my opinion just because there are no silver spoons and there isn’t much hand holding doesn’t mean there is strict gatekeeping.

The posts of intimidation toward newcomers above mustn't be true then.

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34356258)
The posts of intimidation toward newcomers above mustn't be true then.

There has been some strong posts against people who spell out deals or who share tricks that aren’t their own. I haven’t seen any intimidation towards people who work hard and find stuff on their own except for the outrage yesterday which WWE apologized for.

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 34356363)
There has been some strong posts against people who spell out deals or who share tricks that aren’t their own. I haven’t seen any intimidation towards people who work hard and find stuff on their own except for the outrage yesterday which WWE apologized for.

Do you think the following sentences is true or not?

We coded all tricks so that only people already in the circle who have been proven as hardworking can understand. All newcomers should be reaching that bar (proficient in reading and making tricks) as evidence of dedication to become qualified.

Deckter Jun 21, 2022 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34356429)

We coded all tricks so that only people already in the circle who have been proven as hardworking can understand. All newcomers should be reaching that bar (proficient in reading and making tricks) as evidence of dedication to become qualified.

You don‘t really need to be in any circle to understand what C1-C3 with 1x means. If you can‘t be bothered learning, there‘s blogs.

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34356429)

No, I think you missed the mark entirely. Tricks are coded so that people (including airline employees) can’t walk in off the street and instantly decode the trick. A trick that is too easy to decode would result in thousands of bookings which would not only kill the fare but also likely the combinability of the 1x or 3x.

There is no secret handshake to get in to the circle. Hard work and determination is all that’s required.

beyounged Jun 21, 2022 1:53 pm

I do not think it is a gate that is being kept. The barrier of entrance is high, that is it. 20 min each day on FT to join cheap "emergency sales". 5 seconds to check SF on their "deals". 5 hours to learn everything about a FFP. 200 hours to learn the ways to combine 3x.

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Deckter (Post 34356448)
You don‘t really need to be in any circle to understand what C1-C3 with 1x means. If you can‘t be bothered learning, there‘s blogs.

Oh surely I don't bother learning or checking out the glossary.

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged (Post 34356624)
I do not think it is a gate that is being kept. The barrier of entrance is high, that is it. 20 min each day on FT to join cheap "emergency sales". 5 seconds to check SF on their "deals". 5 hours to learn everything about a FFP. 200 hours to learn the ways to combine 3x.

There are differences in the barriers of entrance that whether they are set up on purpose.

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 34356583)
No, I think you missed the mark entirely. Tricks are coded so that people (including airline employees) can’t walk in off the street and instantly decode the trick. A trick that is too easy to decode would result in thousands of bookings which would not only kill the fare but also likely the combinability of the 1x or 3x.

There is no secret handshake to get in to the circle. Hard work and determination is all that’s required.

Originally Posted by Deckter (Post 34356448)

Originally Posted by beyounged (Post 34356624)

I can't help wonder if it's part of trick it culture to assume others don't work and just ask?

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34356911)
I can't help wonder if it's part of trick it culture to assume others don't work and just ask?

If you ever find a trick I encourage you to post something like "C1-C2, enjoy pizza in the piazza and stop in the city of love, $128, no 1x" and I can assure you that your inbox will be flooded by people who have clearly done absolutely no work and want the trick handed to them. The rare folks who think they have done some hard work will ask "Is this based on the $250 base fare to Lisbon?"
Maybe 1 out of the 100 DMs will be someone saying "I found the $2 basefare to Venice with a stopover in Paris, I think this is the correct fare for your trick? XXX-YYY cut the fat in half, I have spent a few hours searching and the best I have found is $175, do you mind sharing some hints?"

So yeh, when 99% of the people just want it all handed to them after they put in little to no effort, it does unfortunately kind of become part of the culture.

SourSweetTea Jun 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 34356939)
If you ever find a trick I encourage you to post something like "C1-C2, enjoy pizza in the piazza and stop in the city of love, $128, no 1x" and I can assure you that your inbox will be flooded by people who have clearly done absolutely no work and want the trick handed to them. The rare folks who think they have done some hard work will ask "Is this based on the $250 base fare to Lisbon?"
Maybe 1 out of the 100 DMs will be someone saying "I found the $2 basefare to Venice with a stopover in Paris, I think this is the correct fare for your trick? XXX-YYY cut the fat in half, I have spent a few hours searching and the best I have found is $175, do you mind sharing some hints?"

So yeh, when 99% of the people just want it all handed to them after they put in little to no effort, it does unfortunately kind of become part of the culture.

Ok that's understandable. Certainly disappointing.

How on earth is that possible to shrink $250 base fare plus mandatory taxes and fees into less than $250 without changing that fare basis?

PbodyPhoto Jun 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea (Post 34357070)
Ok that's understandable. Certainly disappointing.

How on earth is that possible to shrink $250 base fare plus mandatory taxes and fees into less than $250 without changing that fare basis?

It isn't. That is my point. A lot of people think they have done research but send utter garbage.