FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

nufnuf77 Jul 2, 22 10:44 am

Any good dumps for QR - looking C3C2, tried a bunch of 1x and 3x but nothing seems to get rid of the awful amount showing as YQ...I have a beauty base fare D ticket at 1500usd but yq is another 1300usd...

Czaroo Jul 8, 22 1:13 pm

Any possible C2-C1 FD in September?

ChanduFD Jul 10, 22 3:40 am

AxelJF Jul 11, 22 12:53 pm

Do you guys even dare to book and fly anything right now? All the chaos, cancellations and re-bookings that occur universally look to me like a big deterrence. Doesn't that increase the risk of exposure significantly? Not everything can be rescheduled and addressed automatically - or worse: is cancelled without re-booking ... you may simply be forced to call an airline these days. That a risk you are willing to take?

skunker Jul 11, 22 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by AxelJF (Post 34416236)
Do you guys even dare to book and fly anything right now? All the chaos, cancellations and re-bookings that occur universally look to me like a big deterrence. Doesn't that increase the risk of exposure significantly? Not everything can be rescheduled and addressed automatically - or worse: is cancelled without re-booking ... you may simply be forced to call an airline these days. That a risk you are willing to take?

I booked something from this thread back in January that was affected by the "special operation." Airline cancelled/refunded my entire ticket without letting me try to fix it and I was left scrambling to purchase a ticket a couple weeks before I needed to travel.
I knew it had risks when I bought it, but most of these tickets are that way. Don't play the game if you can't accept the risk. For me it worked out since my new ticket was also cancelled and rebooked by the new carrier, but due to IT issues they gave me a flight credit for the cancelled ticket, so essentially I flew for free. :D

Gongoozler Jul 16, 22 9:46 am

Is the general consensus that OJs and DOJs can be booked directly with the airline when possible? Is there any reason to still book with an OTA?

WingedWorldExplorer Jul 16, 22 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Gongoozler (Post 34431268)
Is the general consensus that OJs and DOJs can be booked directly with the airline when possible? Is there any reason to still book with an OTA?

If you want to pay full price - yes.
If you want to combine 2 especially cheap one way Business Class fares, especially when in different alliances and avoiding YQ, then OTA is a must. Here I am thinking OJs that begin or end in TLV and / or SIN and / or BCN.
I doubt that General Consensus exists anywhere.

Gongoozler Jul 16, 22 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer (Post 34432206)
If you want to pay full price - yes.
If you want to combine 2 especially cheap one way Business Class fares, especially when in different alliances and avoiding YQ, then OTA is a must. Here I am thinking OJs that begin or end in TLV and / or SIN and / or BCN.
I doubt that General Consensus exists anywhere.

Sure, but I was more asking with regards to OJs on the same alliance that CAN be booked on an alliance member's website with YQ completely forgotten.

Is it still better to book with an OTA even if the price is the same?

EmailKid Jul 16, 22 9:01 pm

If memory serves, way back when I used to read this thread regularly the consensus was to avoid booking directly with airlines. IIRC there were several instances an agent looking at the ticket at the airport and ...... things going sideways (even with online booking and online checkin). Again, it's been years and I am going strictly by my memory from several years ago.

littledoggie747 Jul 16, 22 10:24 pm

That is if you're able to book the ticket. I put together an itinerary on ITA and I still can't figure out how to buy this dumped fare. I'm a newbie.

Gongoozler Jul 16, 22 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 34432557)
If memory serves, way back when I used to read this thread regularly the consensus was to avoid booking directly with airlines. IIRC there were several instances an agent looking at the ticket at the airport and ...... things going sideways (even with online booking and online checkin). Again, it's been years and I am going strictly by my memory from several years ago.

Thank you Emailkid. I was reading some of the way way back of this thread and saw lots of folks talking about booking OJs and even 3Xs directly with the airline. (Anyone remember .bomb?)

Not only that, but I am currently staring down the barrel of a sub $150 C1-C2 DOJ which can be booked directly with the airline or almost any OTA for the same price. I feel like in some ways, booking a fare like this directly with the airline could be less suspicious because your ticket looks exactly like everyone else's (who also booked directly). And if the airline changes your itinerary, you'll be automatically rebooked, just like everyone else.

Of course, the vast majority of tricks can only be booked through OTAs but without a doubt, there's a certain percentage that can also be booked directly with the airline and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it.

EmailKid Jul 17, 22 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Gongoozler (Post 34432705)
(.bomb anyone?)

Is that a question or a hint?

Gongoozler Jul 17, 22 8:51 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 34433155)
Is that a question or a hint?

Haha it's a reference

Gongoozler Jul 18, 22 8:28 pm

C1 to Natbag Airport RT $488

Safe and simple construction.

Any dates, any OTA, and OJs possible.

Certainly nothing spectacular, but could be useful for some.

WingedWorldExplorer Jul 18, 22 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gongoozler (Post 34437922)
C1 to Natbag Airport RT $488

Safe and simple construction.

Any dates, any OTA, and OJs possible.

Certainly nothing spectacular, but could be useful for some.

You can get it for half the price if you check specific dates and corresponding base fares .
Even with no throw away X factor