Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:40 am

Found a double decker C2-C3-C2 + 1x on ITA. While I have no troubles booking the 1x + one r/t C2-C3 (different OTAs) and also no troubles booking twice r/t C2-C3 itinerary without the 1x (website of the main airline), I didn't manage to pull up the complete 1x + twice r/t C2-C3 itinerary anywhere.

Any tips on where to book this? The number of OTAs allowing to specify at least 5 flights is obviously very limited and I am not aware of any of them which allows limiting the search to at least two different airlines.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:07 pm

I am looking at C1-C3 on QR with a 3X. I am able to reduce some fat but not all. I just want to know if I can remove the fat completely or not, so that I can continue hunting for a better 3X.
Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by rbaustin
I am looking at C1-C3 on QR with a 3X. I am able to reduce some fat but not all. I just want to know if I can remove the fat completely or not, so that I can continue hunting for a better 3X.
Thanks!
100% not possible with 3x presently.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:19 am

I have been able to dump all the fat with unflyable 1x on both c1c2.5 and c1c3 itineraries on QR, but like you with only negligible trimming using 3x.

Originally Posted by rbaustin
Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: OW
The same happens to me when I want to dump EK from C4-Cx.

AC now apparently eliminates the YQ from C4-C1,C2 and C3. Hope this is temporary and not definitive. It was an error , now YQ it's back.

Last edited by Argenboy; Aug 27, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Looking to get some advice on a trick.

Without being too specific, I'm looking at a PY fare (on airline A) for around $1,800. Adding a 3x reduces the YQ, bringing the fare to around $1,500. Not a huge savings, but decent. The 3x is unflyable (5k-10k miles away on airline B), so it'd be a throwaway.

How much risk is there with this? It's not a MR, but I'd want to earn miles from it (FF program with airline C). I wouldn't try to get a refund on the unflown segment, of course.

Just trying to figure out if the risk is worth the modest savings.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Argenboy
The same happens to me when I want to dump EK from C4-Cx.

AC now apparently eliminates the YQ from C4-C1,C2 and C3. Hope this is temporary and not definitive. It was an error , now YQ it's back.
Hay un 3x dando vueltas para forzar esos precios... ojalá se repita lo de AC.
About EK, I'm not being able to dump more than 50% from C4.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Looking to get some advice on a trick.

Without being too specific, I'm looking at a PY fare (on airline A) for around $1,800. Adding a 3x reduces the YQ, bringing the fare to around $1,500. Not a huge savings, but decent. The 3x is unflyable (5k-10k miles away on airline B), so it'd be a throwaway.

How much risk is there with this? It's not a MR, but I'd want to earn miles from it (FF program with airline C). I wouldn't try to get a refund on the unflown segment, of course.

Just trying to figure out if the risk is worth the modest savings.
The risk is having your FF acct shutdown and losing your miles. How important are those to you?

And keep in mind that people have had success (and not) when associating their FF #s to their tricked itins...

"How much risk is there with this?"...best answer is ymmv...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by briancw80
The risk is having your FF acct shutdown and losing your miles. How important are those to you?

And keep in mind that people have had success (and not) when associating their FF #s to their tricked itins...

"How much risk is there with this?"...best answer is ymmv...
Ok, fair enough. Is there much risk if I find a flyable 3x and I do in fact fly it? Or does that not really change things?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Ok, fair enough. Is there much risk if I find a flyable 3x and I do in fact fly it? Or does that not really change things?
Know that intentionally manipulating the price of a ticket is prohibited. So, anytime someone does, regardless of flying the leg or not, there is risk.

In the context of your situation and flying all segments, risk, IMO, is low.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Alitam
Hay un 3x dando vueltas para forzar esos precios... ojalá se repita lo de AC.
About EK, I'm not being able to dump more than 50% from C4.

Probablemente sea x newbie pero se me hace imposible FD a EK o QR para un C4-C3 ... algo de grasa se va con OJ pero sigue por las nubes...
Sleeping while AC episode occured ... still crying
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:16 am

QR c1-c3se with $488 fat. eoe within us. possible to trim 100% with 3x? any hints?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ffly45
QR c1-c3se with $488 fat. eoe within us. possible to trim 100% with 3x? any hints?
Not possible to trim all fat.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
JFK to India/Pakistan/Iran/Saudi Arabia / Bangladesh/Sri Lanka or Oman from 189.05 Euros
all-in R/T with an X factor starting in Amsterdam or Zurich. Appears to be bookable on Expedia.com only.
Calgary88 likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Aug 31, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
JFK to India/Pakistan/Iran/Saudi/ Bangladesh or Oman from $ 239.75 all-in R/T with an X factor starting in Amsterdam or Zurich
It should be quite obvious. c2.5 airline that only serves JFK in the United States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.