Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by largeeyes
The Hong Kong booking trick? It's been around for quite a while. I flew it back in May.
Correct. And those idiots will kill also another useful glitch.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
The Hong Kong booking trick? It's been around for quite a while. I flew it back in May.
There are many HKG tricks depending on how you find fares. This particular case pretty easy...

Last edited by Timidocvl; Jun 29, 2015 at 6:46 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by tymoon25
This one has been around for such a long time and in my opinion it's a 100% legit fare due to whatever HK rule.
You're perfectly right !!
Same as the CDG-HKG-KUL two or three months ago for just a few more € but much more miles :-)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Correct. And those idiots will kill also another useful glitch.
I'm not a fan of this particular blog for several reasons but I don't agree with your comment !
Those "idiots", as you qualify them, give to lots of people the opportunity to travel and I think it's much better than having a handful of people whose only game is to show off here with very cheap constructions they will never fly :-)))
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlyerCDG
I'm not a fan of this particular blog for several reasons but I don't agree with your comment !
Those "idiots", as you qualify them, give to lots of people the opportunity to travel and I think it's much better than having a handful of people whose only game is to show off here with very cheap constructions they will never fly :-)))
+1
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:52 am

Maybe idiots is too strong a word but let's not try to describe the guys as those bringing benefits to society. They are making money with it and in ~90% (my subjective estimate, YMMV) of published deals they didn't put any significant effort into finding them, but just stolen info from different sources without giving any credits (not to mention a share of profits) to those people who did find them. And those, who do take advantage of them, the readers of their blogs, how do they deserve to travel that cheap more than my grandma, who doesn't know how to use internet and therefore cannot discover it? After all, it's my grandma paying for those glitches with her regularly bought ticket.
Sorry for OT, back to business. The latest BA fail, I was able to price it for 38.00 usd, but it won't book. Any ideas how to make it bookable even if it's twice as much?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
I partially agree about your last assumption regarding un-flyable itineraries. We discussed for a long time about the "my d*** is longer than yours" syndrome.

I strongly disagree about the other assumption: firstly, they are not doing this for glory, mercifulness, generousity, to make people fly for few bucks..at the contrary their first and only aim is to have revenues from their ads.
Secondly everytime they post "deals" they're basically going to destroy glitches/EF etc not discovered by themselves, so that basically they behave only like lurkers here. Sorry if I abhor these behaviors.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by maxvor
...let's not try to describe the guys as those bringing benefits to society. They are making money with it...
so anybody that has ever provided the world with a product/service should not be acknowledged as such because they are making money with it??

shame on steve jobs for making money
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:27 am

for sure, this blogger is arround ... I want to say ".... you !"
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by tarman
so anybody that has ever provided the world with a product/service should not be acknowledged as such because they are making money with it??

shame on steve jobs for making money
There is clearly difference (at least to me) to Steve Jobs who had an idea (although some people say he stole it as well, and this is a starting premise for haters of his achievements) and EXECUTED (read, put a lot of work) it. Setting up a hosting and a blog is 30mins work for any internet user.
And it's funny how you take a part of a phrase from context and try to make it sound as if that what I meant.

Last edited by maxvor; Jun 29, 2015 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Does anyone know (or willing to share...PM OK) WHY this works the way it does? Looking at the fare breakdown, it doesn't appear that it's a dump and it doesn't seem to work ex-C1 on the same carrier with the same OTA.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by JB5150
Does anyone know (or willing to share...PM OK) WHY this works the way it does? Looking at the fare breakdown, it doesn't appear that it's a dump and it doesn't seem to work ex-C1 on the same carrier with the same OTA.

Glad to see you ask intelligent questions.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:15 pm

Time for not-so-intelligent question
If I understand it correctly, when you combine fares, the most restrictive rules apply. So, I have been thinking lately, let's imagine I combine a fare that allows EoE "to certain extent" with another one that also allows it "to certain extent". How is the final restriction determined in that case? ........too many details about what I think......
Thanks for any explanation in advance!

Last edited by maxvor; Jun 29, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
Originally Posted by JB5150
I was trying to figure out the same thing. I'm gonna keep messing around with it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Hi I'm flying to India from the US on an EK fare... the fat is ~$750

Is it possible to trim the fat on EK flights?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.