Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I booked two tickets through Orbitz with ticket numbers but AZ flights had disappeared on "my trips" (only AA JFK-YYZ remained).

Called 1-888-656-4546, rep looked at my itin. and was transfered to international....spoke to csr who started with "oh, you booked one of those mis-fares"....."you are so lucky, you have been ticketed".....put on hold for several minutes....she came back with "the script" interjected with "you are so lucky" several times but told me that I had to call Alitalia to reinstate. She did give me a UPS tracking # and told me my tickets had been shipped.

...regardless of the outcome, this has been a wild 36 hours...thanks FTers! I hope to see you in LCA!

....UPS tracking # not valid

Last edited by juanitajh; Apr 6, 2006 at 11:13 pm
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:07 pm

Looks like the story made the Wall Street Journal, but it's restricted to subscribers.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:08 pm

1 post every 5-10 minutes, I feel so..... alone
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:08 pm

Didn't work for me

Called Orbitz --- they are saying that my tickets have been voided & can't be re-instated

Am I out of luck here?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
When I spoke to an Orbitz manager earlier this evening, the news about honoring the fare for people who had been ticketed was just filtering in. She conceded they had several offices, and that info does not get around too well.

If you're having problems, the time honored tradition of hanging up and calling back might be the way to go. Eventually you'll end up with an agent or supervisor that has the right info. Hopefully.

When all else fails, feel free to e-mail Brian Hoyt, Orbitz's director of PR, who made the statements about AZ honoring the fare. His e-mail is [email protected]

Last edited by Peatisback; Apr 6, 2006 at 11:28 pm
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by bacan
Looks like the story made the Wall Street Journal, but it's restricted to subscribers.
might be able to see it with local library's online wsj. *maybe*
edit nope. local library is 1 day behind.
sorry don't see the article either at this pt?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Talking Ditto!

Originally Posted by juanitajh
I booked two tickets through Orbitz with ticket numbers but AZ flights had disappeared on "my trips" (only AA JFK-YYZ remained).

Called 1-888-656-4546, rep looked at my itin. and was transfered to international....spoke to csr who started with "oh, you booked one of those mis-fares"....."you are so lucky, you have been ticketed".....put on hold for several minutes....she came back with "the script" interjected with "you are so lucky" several times but told me that I had to call Alitalia to reinstate. She did give me a UPS tracking # and told me my tickets had been shipped.

...regardless of the outcome, this has been a wild 36 hours...thanks FTers! I hope to see you in LCA!
^ Went to ups.com, and my tickets are on the way! WOO HOO! I KNOW this trip will be even more awesome than Fiji! Thanks once again FT!!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:16 pm

[QUOTE=HepperSchepp]
Originally Posted by PHLDividends

Where do you people come up with these outlandish statements? See following:

MISTAKE AS TO THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT

Where one party is mistaken as to the nature of the contract and the other party is aware of the mistake, or the circumstances are such that he may be taken to be aware of it, the contract is void.

For the mistake to be operative, the mistake by one party must be as to the terms of the contract itself. See:

Hartog v Colin & Shields [1939] 3 All ER 566

The precedent was set by Hartog v Colin and Shields [1939]3 All ER 566 in which there was a pricing error where the seller thought he was pricing per pound, but the cost was actually calculated per item. The Court held that the purchaser could not reasonably have supposed that the offer expressed the real intention of the person making it, and must have been aware it was a mistake. The purchaser therefore did not, by his acceptance of the offer, make a binding contract with the seller. This would give an online retailer a defence if the price of a product was so ludicrously low that the intention to create legal relations could not be formed.

So get off your high horse....
I'm no lawyer, but I think it is possible that some people could think it was a real deal. I recieved a notice from a friend "YYZ to LCA in business for $33 - book now". At that time I just assumed it was a special deal. Later it occured to me that it was a pricing error (I assume decimal misplaced). but most people I've told about the price just assume that it was some special. I've seen flights for $.01 on discount carriers, and Air Asia had 2 000 000 free seats last December, so I think it would be reasonable to assume that some people thought it was a real deal. Not the vast majority of course, but in mounting a defence this could be used.
Of course this is all just talk, I couldn't be hassled of going to court.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
The whole "you have to call Alitalia" thing sounds fishy to me.

...she came back with "the script" interjected with "you are so lucky" several times but told me that I had to call Alitalia to reinstate. She did give me a UPS tracking # and told me my tickets had been shipped...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold

....UPS tracking # not valid

Has anyone been able to actually get orbitz to reinstate their tickets?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:21 pm

News articles

Originally Posted by brokeboy
might be able to see it with local library's online wsj. *maybe*
edit nope. local library is 1 day behind.
sorry don't see the article either at this pt?
I could find at least 2 news artilces about this incident.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNew...523330-cp.html
http://online.wsj.com/google_login.h...googlenews_wsj

"Apparently a worker forgot to enter in the two zeros, an Alitalia spokeswoman...."
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by gaugeguy
yes!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
I have been told that my tickets will be reinstated by an Orbitz CS manager, but have yet to receive confirmation of this....
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by smariner
"Apparently a worker forgot to enter in the two zeros, an Alitalia spokeswoman...."
I sure would feel bad if I was that guy:
Friend of worker-"What did you do today?"
Worker-"Oh lost my company a couple million dollars."
Friend of worker-"Darn."
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by smariner

Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.