Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A few of my ticketed Travelocity itineraries has disappeared after showing up as "cancelled" when I clicked on it.

Bizarre.

Same here, had a ticket number and everything. Checked yesterday and the itin was still in place, this AM also still in place; but this afternoon - cancelled, then 15 mins later GONE (not even the cancellation notice).

Oh well,.....

RxTravel
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
[QUOTE=PHLDividends]
Originally Posted by myn4
If not, then Orbitz and Alitalia should honor the reserved flights. I'm about ready to let them come to small claims court and explain how they get out of this contract.
Where do you people come up with these outlandish statements? See following:

MISTAKE AS TO THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT

Where one party is mistaken as to the nature of the contract and the other party is aware of the mistake, or the circumstances are such that he may be taken to be aware of it, the contract is void.

For the mistake to be operative, the mistake by one party must be as to the terms of the contract itself. See:

Hartog v Colin & Shields [1939] 3 All ER 566

The precedent was set by Hartog v Colin and Shields [1939]3 All ER 566 in which there was a pricing error where the seller thought he was pricing per pound, but the cost was actually calculated per item. The Court held that the purchaser could not reasonably have supposed that the offer expressed the real intention of the person making it, and must have been aware it was a mistake. The purchaser therefore did not, by his acceptance of the offer, make a binding contract with the seller. This would give an online retailer a defence if the price of a product was so ludicrously low that the intention to create legal relations could not be formed.

So get off your high horse....
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UCSBCHRIS2002
The only thing that Im scared of is that earlier posts talked about how when they looked up their tracking number it showed "return to sender" which would be no good for people who got the 2-3 day shipping

I just wrote an email to CT to obtain the UPS tracking number. I received the UPS numbers, and then 24 minutes later received the cancellation message, attached to the UPS numbers sent.

Checked UPS at that time... and tracking had the request for return to sender. Awe. But, it was after the truck left for delivery. Check again, at work. Delivered, 9:03a. Yea. Get home, no package! BOO! Recheck UPS tracking info, they said "refused" over 5 hours later at 2:20p PT. CRAP! Wish I could have been home.

Waiting further info from the masses. Again, no calls to CT or AZ. Just an email requesting tracking number.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TelevisionTdTina
I just wrote an email to CT to obtain the UPS tracking number. I received the UPS numbers, and then 24 minutes later received the cancellation message, attached to the UPS numbers sent.

Checked UPS at that time... and tracking had the request for return to sender. Awe. But, it was after the truck left for delivery. Check again, at work. Delivered, 9:03a. Yea. Get home, no package! BOO! Recheck UPS tracking info, they said "refused" over 5 hours later at 2:20p PT. CRAP! Wish I could have been home.

Waiting further info from the masses. Again, no calls to CT or AZ. Just an email requesting tracking number.
I guess I will hold off on calling them.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
[QUOTE=HepperSchepp]
Originally Posted by PHLDividends

Where one party is mistaken as to the nature of the contract and the other party is aware of the mistake, or the circumstances are such that he may be taken to be aware of it, the contract is void.

For the mistake to be operative, the mistake by one party must be as to the terms of the contract itself. See:

The precedent was set by Hartog v Colin and Shields [1939]3 All ER 566 in which there was a pricing error where the seller thought he was pricing per pound, but the cost was actually calculated per item. The Court held that the purchaser could not reasonably have supposed that the offer expressed the real intention of the person making it, and must have been aware it was a mistake. The purchaser therefore did not, by his acceptance of the offer, make a binding contract with the seller. This would give an online retailer a defence if the price of a product was so ludicrously low that the intention to create legal relations could not be formed.

We've gone through this before in so many deals.

Alitalia is accepting ticketed itineraries issued via Orbitz. Is Alitalia making a mistake in doing so? That's another issue ..... but this consumer thinks Alitalia is doing right by Orbitz's customers who were ticketed.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
I just hope they don't go after the OP and advise that he had extraordinary access to information that was not available to the public at large and used such information to exploit the vendor.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
I just hope they don't go after the OP and advise that he had extraordinary access to information that was not available to the public at large and used such information to exploit the vendor.
That would be a losing approach on the part of an airline or the major online travel agencies. Unless there is a contractual obligation -- at least in effect -- on the part of the OP and the feeds coming in there and no external obligation to NOT disseminate information, the fact that something is not widely available does not mean it is not public information or that even closely held information cannot be disseminated without breach of contract, fiduciary duty and/or statute.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:43 pm

True, however, it does not take much to go after one and drain one's resources in the process even if they may be recouped.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: Airmiles
[QUOTE=HepperSchepp]
Originally Posted by PHLDividends

You are quite right my law student (I am assuming) friend. The one thing you forget is that if 500 small claims cases are started in who knows hom many jurisdictions around the world, it would cost a hell of a lot more for AZ to hire lawyers to defend them (even if it's just having a lawyer show up to court to have the case dimissed) than what the "cost" to AZ (as opposed to the face value) of the tickets may be.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:47 pm

[QUOTE=azaidi001]
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp

You are quite right my law student (I am assuming) friend. The one thing you forget is that if 500 small claims cases are started in who knows hom many jurisdictions around the world, it would cost a hell of a lot more for AZ to hire lawyers to defend them (even if it's just having a lawyer show up to court to have the case dimissed) than what the "cost" to AZ (as opposed to the face value) of the tickets may be.
Just my 2 cents.
MrZhu is a member of a legal insurance plan that would let him file a case for free. I suppose you could say. What the hey, MrZhu has nothing to lose.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
True, however, it does not take much to go after one and drain one's resources in the process even if they may be recouped.
Harassment lawsuits are not unheard of, but for a large business to pursue that route against a smaller player is asking for trouble more than once.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=azaidi001]
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp

Just my 2 cents.
Not to mention that the attorneys would be sitting up front and taking away additional revenue seats they could have just let go for these fares anyway. Who knows, maybe someone will purchase items from the AZ company store and recoup some lost revenue.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Maybe they'll do something a-la Air Canada and honor only one of the reservations, vs. multiple ones.
Since then they've lost over 40k of paid revenue from myself and my colleages. Many changed their flights to other carriers when reasonable.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This is why I pointed out that it was worth it to pay the extra $5 to Cheaptickets to get next day delivery. In the long run, I don't know that it will help, but they certainly can't say it's a mistake, as I have paper tickets...
Yup. Thanks for the tip. I got one of mine overnighted.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by party_boy
Since then they've lost over 40k of paid revenue from myself and my colleages. Many changed their flights to other carriers when reasonable.
Friends don't let friends fly AC to DEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.