Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, BA Silver, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by David7
This is something I have not encountered before and is infuriating as it contradicts the 3rd point of the aforementioned EU rule.
I'm afraid it is not. By offering its own flights on dates of your choice instead of code-share ones Delta perfectly follows the EU rules.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:05 pm

Was able to move KLM stock ticket to Sept out / Dec in without any additional costs. Probably got lucky. Will check in a few days to make sure the ticket remains fully refundable.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:59 am

Just called AF to change my LAX>BUD return leg from Oct to Dec and was done in less than 5 minutes with no fare difference. Can't believe how easy that was.

This was my 2nd change as my original flights had some cancelations.
katstarr and haroon145 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:06 am

Just got one of my intra-Hawaiian flights moved with just over 2 hours (travel in May). Would this be enough to move the whole trip towards a later date?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:55 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Hi can someone please confirm this sequence of events makes sense - particularly now being told dates cannot be changed, only use of e-credit allowed?

March 2020: Booked for travel in August 2020
July 2020: Received cancellation notice - checking now and it was automatic e-credit (neglected to notice until now frankly)
February 2021: Calling in to change date and being told can only use e-credit. No option to rebook without reprice.

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by hsk
Hi can someone please confirm this sequence of events makes sense - particularly now being told dates cannot be changed, only use of e-credit allowed?

March 2020: Booked for travel in August 2020
July 2020: Received cancellation notice - checking now and it was automatic e-credit (neglected to notice until now frankly)
February 2021: Calling in to change date and being told can only use e-credit. No option to rebook without reprice.

Thanks
Assuming DL ticket: try again and have them check International Bulletin 6.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:46 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Yes DL - sorry, neglected to say so and thank you.

"It does state that when re-booked travel occurs after December 31, 2020 the change fee will be waived; however the difference in fare may apply " - DL CSAgent

Seems I should have gotten in touch with the team back in December?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by hsk
Yes DL - sorry, neglected to say so and thank you.

"It does state that when re-booked travel occurs after December 31, 2020 the change fee will be waived; however the difference in fare may apply " - DL CSAgent

Seems I should have gotten in touch with the team back in December?
No - that's from the public page, it's vague enough to cover the more specific language of the bulletin but not very helpful. It wouldn't have helped to contact them then because you'd still have been travelling after December. The Bulletin they need to read [here] is clear that after 2020 you need to rebook class-to-class to avoid the fare difference - which in our case means finding I class availability. If you just give them random dates and go off timing of flights, there's a fair chance you pick something that's in a different fare bucket and thus reprices. You either need to find the availability yourself [and stopovers may complicate things] or - as reported by others upthread - make sure the agent knows to search for I class. Personally, I would try to check their understanding of the class-to-class rebooking before starting, as I'd be wary of trying to correct an agent's understanding of the bulletin. Even if I think I'm clearly right, it might not help - better to have someone who is cooperative from the start.
kyushuman, Keter and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:18 am

I should report back, as I rebooked two trips [one mine, one my parents - broadly the same Hawai'i route]. While I'm fantastically happy with the result, I'm not sure it provides a lot of guidance for others as there was almost no push-back to establish any limits.

It was done over iMessage - it took a long time, but I'm pretty sure the set-up has agents dealing with more than one customer so I've no issue on that front. Both agents were very helpful, I didn't name-check Bulletin 6 but made sure to mention I was looking for a class-to-class rebooking and neither questioned what I was on about. Nor was there any pushback over eligibility - even though one ticket had been modified after April 17th. The front-line agent couldn't get the revised trips through the system to check if the waiver was eligible, so passed me to Global Ticketing Support who eventually got the job done.

As I've mentioned a few times, I had no idea what Point of Sale to use in ExpertFlyer, so I was entirely prepared to have a back-and-forth with the agents trying to find I availability. However, in the end only one flight wasn't available - and one alternative offered was a date I thought had no space - so I'm afraid I can't provide any insight to help the rest of you on that front! There was no objection to changing an LHR/BHX open jaw stopover to an LHR connection. I didn't try to create any new stopovers though [I was liberal with that originally, so had no need]. No issue on VS metal - I merely supplied the DL flight number. I thought I might have an issue connecting to a KL flight which doesn't have a DL codeshare [and for which I had no idea about married segment availability] - but again no issues. It basically seemed like I was at liberty to create an entirely new ticket under the original rules.

One more I've yet to reinstate - let's hope it's as easy an experience as the first two! Good luck to the rest of you.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Hi all,

I have a 006 stock BUD-HNL ticket. Originally booked in class I for july 2020. In july 2020 my ticket disappeared, I rebooked easily with travel in march 2021 (next week) in C class. The ticket has since incurred some major (8 hr) schedule changes and as an EU citizen I am unable to fly next week, but the ticket is still alive.

According to https://delta-kgpzv.formstack.com/fo..._policy_finder , code B3Z8F from bulletin 6 applies to my case, which is class to class rebooking.

Should I look for availability in class I or class C to rebook my flights? And should I try to rebook using the schedule change as the reason or me being unable to fly?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Would parking the ticket also be an option in this case? Anything I should consider in order to not get scr*w*d later down the line?

Last edited by tobitronics; Mar 11, 2021 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by tobitronics
Hi all,

I have a 006 stock BUD-HNL ticket. Originally booked in class I for july 2020. In july 2020 my ticket disappeared, I rebooked easily with travel in march 2021 (next week) in C class. The ticket has since incurred some major (8 hr) schedule changes and as an EU citizen I am unable to fly next week, but the ticket is still alive.

According to https://delta-kgpzv.formstack.com/fo..._policy_finder , code B3Z8F from bulletin 6 applies to my case, which is class to class rebooking.

Should I look for availability in class I or class C to rebook my flights? And should I try to rebook using the schedule change as the reason or me being unable to fly?

Thanks in advance!
Expect to have to rebook in I, but you may get lucky (depends on the agent)! Mentioning a schedule change did the trick for me.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Data point:

006 ticket for BUD-HNL with travel in march 2021. Wanted to rebook to end of jan 2022. Before contacting DL I checked each individual flight of my desired itinerary for availability in class I on Expertflyer. Rebooking due to schedule change wasn't possible (only same day changes allowed) according to the agent, but I was allowed to rebook under bulletin 6. I was explicitly asked if I wanted a voluntary change under the bulletin rules. The whole process took a fair amount of waiting (including a redirect to another agent) but I got all flights that I wanted without any issue. The last leg (AMS-BUD) was even booked in D despite I being available. Great service by DL staff on iMessage, but expect to wait a fair amount before an agent responds to your query.

Noticed the ATL-HNL/HNL-ATL flights are very popular in class I, almost no availability anymore in jan/feb 2022
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:01 am

Flew half of this round trip in October 2020 and had my return from SFO to AMS scheduled in the next few days. Flight got cancelled and moved 2 days later so I was eligible to change my flight but they (KLM/AF) only allowed me to change my flight within 30 days after my cancelled flight date. I ended up moving this flight to next month because they were sticking hard to this rule. I’ve managed to move around my flights several times before last year but looks like they’ve gotten a lot more strict these days. Hoping for another cancellation but worst case scenario, I just take the return trip of the RT next month since I’m allowed to enter my end destination. If it came down to having to get a refund, not sure what they’d allow given I’ve flown half of this itinerary already.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by kodawg9
Flew half of this round trip in October 2020 and had my return from SFO to AMS scheduled in the next few days. Flight got cancelled and moved 2 days later so I was eligible to change my flight but they (KLM/AF) only allowed me to change my flight within 30 days after my cancelled flight date. I ended up moving this flight to next month because they were sticking hard to this rule. I’ve managed to move around my flights several times before last year but looks like they’ve gotten a lot more strict these days. Hoping for another cancellation but worst case scenario, I just take the return trip of the RT next month since I’m allowed to enter my end destination. If it came down to having to get a refund, not sure what they’d allow given I’ve flown half of this itinerary already.
Surely you can fly in October 2021 per ticket validity and fare rules. You have to fly within a year of first sector, fare was flexible so as long as I class is present, you can fly any time until October.
kyushuman and etiene like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kodawg9
im curious to know how much they’d refund as well. The ticket is refundable even if you have flown the outbound sector. If you plan on speaking to them and bring that up I’d be curious to know what their answer/ the result would be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.