Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by etiene
Thanks for the detailed reports.

Did anyone who managed to get DL to rebook end up on non-DL codes for the TATL or US-domestic segments? Just wondering if these agents are limited to [or are limiting themselves to] DL inventory as the JV doesn't seem to keep things in sync all that often.
I was told that it needs to be under a DL code.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I was told that it needs to be under a DL code.
Thanks. Total conjecture: I wonder if this could be another reason people managed to get I inventory released - if the AF/KL codeshares on DL metal are showing I but the DL code is not Revenue Management may be more inclined to create some.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Holy heck, that's amazing. When did you fly these? Do you have both (US or CA) and EU entry rights?
I flew them throughout last year; sadly a lot of the prestige about flying these tickets (lounge offerings, catering, drinks) were cut back but it was still a really comfortable and cheap way to make the trips I had to make. On my last trip I flew AF metal instead of DL and actually had a great flight with awesome catering both onboard and in the CDG lounge.

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'm also amazed that you were able to complete 4 of these! You will be Delta Diamond ASAP this year!
Without asking too many personal details, how were you able to navigate all of these restrictions? Are you a Hungarian/USA citizen, therefore allowing travel? I'm just jealous And would love to travel again soon!
Congratulations!
Thankfully I was not restricted from entering both USA and EU, but testing and quarantine requirements still apply which especially makes timing difficult. And yes, I made Delta Diamond! Hope you get to travel very soon.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Exp
Thanks for the detailed reports.

Did anyone who managed to get DL to rebook end up on non-DL codes for the TATL or US-domestic segments? Just wondering if these agents are limited to [or are limiting themselves to] DL inventory as the JV doesn't seem to keep things in sync all that often.
The first time I rebooked a very helpful booked my flight from CDG to LAX with AF-codes and also in a higher booking class. Second rebooking, the agent insisted on DL-codes (and I-class). As always, it all depends on the agent.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by gnargel
The first time I rebooked a very helpful booked my flight from CDG to LAX with AF-codes and also in a higher booking class. Second rebooking, the agent insisted on DL-codes (and I-class). As always, it all depends on the agent.
Thanks - how recently were these?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:17 am

Guys I need your help again as KLM refuse to rebook with historical fares. (KL ticket stock)
Actually I have flown the first segment from BUD to AMS.
Now my flight is scheduled pretty soon which is impossible to do so I asked KLM a couple of times to rebook me to a later date which they would only do with an extreme high fare difference.
As far as I understood and the way its written in the wiki I should be able to rebook this ticket with historical fares once the ticket is partially used.
I found the following fare rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1veP...pD4v-2kiT/view
Can anyone underline again which exact section is the one where its written that in my case I can rebook with historical fares?
and: I think these are the rules downloaded somewhere from DL, is there a specific KLM document with these rules as well?
I also would highly appreciate any recommendations or tips on what to do best.

Thank you guys!
kyushuman likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:55 am

Thanks - how recently were these?
Rebooking with AF-code and booking class higher than I: July 2020
Rebooking only with DL-code and booking class had to be I: December 2020
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:10 am

I take it you had none of the shenanigans reported above trying to claim that the July rebooking meant your ticket wasn't eligible for Bulletin 6?
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
In the ticket i tried to rebook a few days back, the agent was trying to get : DL code, I class and say she has to reticket so that she can find a I-fare allowing the itinerary (which does not exist anymore in my case (stopover etc...). So i took the è ticket/park it option and hopefully I will try again and succeed in a few weeks when we know exactly when we can travel.

I have currently: 3 -ticket parked with DL (LAX, YVR and YUL —> I will probably keep them for 2022 as Flying blue announced that elite status are renewed for 2021 ) and 1 booked for next summer (HNL/KOA) with AF (could be nice to make our family holidays this year !)
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by canadavid
In the ticket i tried to rebook a few days back, the agent was trying to get : DL code, I class and say she has to reticket so that she can find a I-fare allowing the itinerary (which does not exist anymore in my case (stopover etc...). So i took the è ticket/park it option and hopefully I will try again and succeed in a few weeks when we know exactly when we can travel.

I have currently: 3 -ticket parked with DL (LAX, YVR and YUL —> I will probably keep them for 2022 as Flying blue announced that elite status are renewed for 2021 ) and 1 booked for next summer (HNL/KOA) with AF (could be nice to make our family holidays this year !)
The current fares I've seen seem to allow stopovers in Amsterdam, Paris [maybe Rome] and the US* - but this would cause an issue for me as I have some stopovers in the UK [though I'd gladly give one of those stopovers up now]. I don't think there's any language about this limitation in Bulletin 6 though? It sounds to me like an agent who doesn't know how to get the system to issue the ticket without having a current fare to override. Still won't be trying to rebook for a month or so, but appreciate the reports.

*€75 for the EU ones, €600 for the US - not that it matters here.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
The current fares I've seen seem to allow stopovers in Amsterdam, Paris [maybe Rome] and the US* - but this would cause an issue for me as I have some stopovers in the UK [though I'd gladly give one of those stopovers up now]. I don't think there's any language about this limitation in Bulletin 6 though? It sounds to me like an agent who doesn't know how to get the system to issue the ticket without having a current fare to override. Still won't be trying to rebook for a month or so, but appreciate the reports.

*€75 for the EU ones, €600 for the US - not that it matters here.
Yes, mine stopover is in NTE....anyway, i did not want to make too many
phone/chat call to rebook at a random date.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:11 am

Yes, mine stopover is in NTE....anyway, i did not want to make too many
phone/chat call to rebook at a random date.
Yeah, fair enough. I looked at the Bulletin, there is nothing that obviously requires a valid current fare to base things off [although I leave open the remote possibility that the language is just obscure]. I suspect that is just an agent not knowing how to do it otherwise. Also noticed that the Bulletin specifies where one might be reaccomodated - basically DL marketed or operated. It only mentions AF/KL though - for the purposes of these tickets silent on the matter of VS/HA/AZ. I believe previous reports suggest that won't be an issue where the original ticket had segments on one of those, presumably as long as there is a DL code to book under.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:35 am

I take it you had none of the shenanigans reported above trying to claim that the July rebooking meant your ticket wasn't eligible for Bulletin 6?
There was a bit, but after I pushed back a bit the agent agreed that the Bulletin should apply and she was very very helpful and nice (she even complimented me for finding a route via LHR with I-class availability :-))
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:39 am

Please carefully check that the tickets are actually properly parked. I called KLM - so not a Delta-ticket - last November to park a ticket. When I called last week to rebook I was told that my ticket had not been parked at all and that I was a no-show... Agent was helpful and remedied the issue, but still...
kyushuman likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:47 am

Please carefully check that the tickets are actually properly parked. I called KLM - so not a Delta-ticket - last November to park a ticket. When I called last week to rebook I was told that my ticket had not been parked at all and that I was a no-show... Agent was helpful and remedied the issue, but still...
so KLM reissued your "no show ticket" to your favourite date? where did you call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.