Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Another update on my 006 ticket AMS-HNL-OGG-LIH-LAX-AMS (managed to add intra-Hawaii flights in the beginning and change departure city to AMS when
Hungary closed their borders)

I’ve been trying to postpone my outbound to HNL (scheduled May 15) for the last few weeks with no success. Yesterday I chatted with a DL rep who took a long time to read the fare rules. He told me it was impossible to change my outbound without flying a segment first and that I should wait and see if DL extends the flexible change waiver.

He then said the fare allowed unlimited stopovers and he could change the other flights, as long as we didn’t touch the AMS-HNL portion. So I asked if he could add a stopover in NYC as well when flying LAX-AMS and he agreed.

I now have a great ticket with a few days in 3 different Hawaiian islands, a couple weeks in LA and the week before Christmas in NYC, but chances are slim I’ll be able to fly it if they don’t extend the waiver :-(.

Time will tell.

Edit: A question just came to mind. If I route my outbound through CDG or LHR (so AMS-CDG-LAX-HNL for example), will they let me board the AMS-CDG flight as a EU citizen if I’m not allowed into the US? That would give me the option to move the rest of the outbound to the future then.
Kudos on your success! And great luck in connecting with that agent.

To echo what etiene said above, I too don't think you'll be able to count on boarding @ AMS (at least not reliably) if CDG is merely considered a connection. If CDG was a stopover, that might be a different story?

Lastly, a question: how did you drop the initial leg (presumably BUD-AMS)?
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have tickets for BUD-SEA-SEA for Aug 2021/Nov 2021, and was optimistic when I rebooked these in December that we might be able to fly. Now I think only my wife and I will be fully vaccinated by then, as our 3 kids are all under 16 and that combined with the slow progress in Europe has be wondering if we will be able to use these as ticketed. I think we have changed only once now, most recently in Dec 2021 when we had to really work DL to get them to rebook for no fair difference. I wouldnt mind using them rather than taking a refund, so I am going to wait and hope for schedule change but curious what people think my odds are for getting DL to rebook (yet again) to Nov or Dec 2021?
kyushuman likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Kudos on your success! And great luck in connecting with that agent.

To echo what etiene said above, I too don't think you'll be able to count on boarding @ AMS (at least not reliably) if CDG is merely considered a connection. If CDG was a stopover, that might be a different story?

Lastly, a question: how did you drop the initial leg (presumably BUD-AMS)?
I just managed to rebook over the phone when Hungary closed their borders last year. I guess I just got lucky.

In the end it doesn’t change much, as chances are very slim I actually get to fly this ticket :-(
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp
I just managed to rebook over the phone when Hungary closed their borders last year. I guess I just got lucky.

In the end it doesn’t change much, as chances are very slim I actually get to fly this ticket :-(
Don't give up hope, you can always marry an American and that will get you in
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I have tickets for BUD-SEA-SEA for Aug 2021/Nov 2021, and was optimistic when I rebooked these in December that we might be able to fly. Now I think only my wife and I will be fully vaccinated by then, as our 3 kids are all under 16 and that combined with the slow progress in Europe has be wondering if we will be able to use these as ticketed. I think we have changed only once now, most recently in Dec 2021 when we had to really work DL to get them to rebook for no fair difference. I wouldnt mind using them rather than taking a refund, so I am going to wait and hope for schedule change but curious what people think my odds are for getting DL to rebook (yet again) to Nov or Dec 2021?
Last week, I rebooked my June/September trip for October/January. I called Delta and got the call back 5 hours later. Before you call, reread the wiki page. Research the dates and find when I class is available. Have the desired dates and flights written and ready to recite. Know and refer to the fare rules (12FFHU). I was nervous to rebook, but the experts in this thread made it all easy.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:54 pm

Ah that makes sense, they were able to lop-off the first segment when Hungary was closed. (I should've tried that ha)

As ​​​gnargel said, keep the hope! You might still be able to fly it. If you're coming from Belgium, doesn't the AMS departure point make the trip more possible than the BUD departure point? I'm suggesting that NL might be more open (and accessible to land-neighbors) than HU would (HU seems to be very independent). These are also guesses; can't say I'm terribly apprised of EU border dynamics.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ah that makes sense, they were able to lop-off the first segment when Hungary was closed. (I should've tried that ha)

As ​​​gnargel said, keep the hope! You might still be able to fly it. If you're coming from Belgium, doesn't the AMS departure point make the trip more possible than the BUD departure point? I'm suggesting that NL might be more open (and accessible to land-neighbors) than HU would (HU seems to be very independent). These are also guesses; can't say I'm terribly apprised of EU border dynamics.
The problem isn't getting into the NL, it's getting into the US :-).
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:27 pm

The problem isn't getting into the NL, it's getting into the US :-).
Ah, I see!

I think my thought was, it sounded like both BUD and the US would be problems, but since BUD isn't an issue on your ticket, now you only have one problem. (Albeit, a roadblock nonetheless.)
Passportinonehand likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Alaska MP, Hyatt, AA
Originally Posted by gnargel
Don't give up hope, you can always marry an American and that will get you in
Speaking of, and this is a little off topic, but does anyone know if an EU citizen-resident, who is also the spouse of a U.S. citizen, can travel to the U.S., without the U.S. citizen spouse, right now? I'm looking at this WH policy (section 2 entitled Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry) https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...virus-disease/. In theory, it should be possible. But in practice?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:15 pm

Another update on my 006 ticket AMS-HNL-OGG-LIH-LAX-AMS (managed to add intra-Hawaii flights in the beginning and change departure city to AMS when
Hungary closed their borders)

I’ve been trying to postpone my outbound to HNL (scheduled May 15) for the last few weeks with no success. Yesterday I chatted with a DL rep who took a long time to read the fare rules. He told me it was impossible to change my outbound without flying a segment first and that I should wait and see if DL extends the flexible change waiver.

He then said the fare allowed unlimited stopovers and he could change the other flights, as long as we didn’t touch the AMS-HNL portion. So I asked if he could add a stopover in NYC as well when flying LAX-AMS and he agreed.

I now have a great ticket with a few days in 3 different Hawaiian islands, a couple weeks in LA and the week before Christmas in NYC, but chances are slim I’ll be able to fly it if they don’t extend the waiver :-(.

Time will tell.

Edit: A question just came to mind. If I route my outbound through CDG or LHR (so AMS-CDG-LAX-HNL for example), will they let me board the AMS-CDG flight as a EU citizen if I’m not allowed into the US? That would give me the option to move the rest of the outbound to the future then.
Yet another update. I had a misconnection (flight arrived later than my next departure) and tried one more time to change my flights to a later date over iMessage. Got an incredibly rude DL agent who told me he was well aware of the cheap BUD fare I booked and said most Europeans tried the iMessage function to rebook their flights because it was cheaper than calling in. He also told me I already chatted 12 times with Delta and that I was lucky one of his colleagues rebooked me from AMS instead of BUD. He disconnected our chat because he was going on a 15 minute break, so the next day I tried the iMessage function once again and got an incredibly helpful agent who rebooked me free of charge to mid-September (instead of mid-May). HUCA really works apparently...
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:44 pm

Yet another update. I had a misconnection (flight arrived later than my next departure) and tried one more time to change my flights to a later date over iMessage. Got an incredibly rude DL agent who told me he was well aware of the cheap BUD fare I booked and said most Europeans tried the iMessage function to rebook their flights because it was cheaper than calling in. He also told me I already chatted 12 times with Delta and that I was lucky one of his colleagues rebooked me from AMS instead of BUD. He disconnected our chat because he was going on a 15 minute break, so the next day I tried the iMessage function once again and got an incredibly helpful agent who rebooked me free of charge to mid-September (instead of mid-May). HUCA really works apparently...
This is amazing, and frankly, kinda funny. Thanks for sharing.
aeroman380 and katstarr like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by stephem
I wouldn't give up hope on vaccines for under-16s, based on what I saw today in the news (Pfizer is already working on getting age 12 to 15 approval).
I guess I will leave my tickets for August 1st as is, but it's unlikely it will work for my dates as of now. Unless I somehow get there and am able to just fly BUD-NYC and then push back the rest of the ticket once I've flown the first segment.
Didn't someone upthread actually fly the first segment and then was NOT allowed to make unlimited changes as we'd expected on this fare? Or am I imagining that?
Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Didn't someone upthread actually fly the first segment and then was NOT allowed to make unlimited changes as we'd expected on this fare? Or am I imagining that?
Thanks
Pretty sure that's right, not sure who. Pretty sure the original fare rules apply, but you need an agent who is chuffed that you got a great fare rather than one of the ones who take offence to it...
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:14 am

That’s correct. I flew the first segment and KL doesn’t allow me to do any changes.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by alpha21
That’s correct. I flew the first segment and KL doesn’t allow me to do any changes.
What do they say when you quote them the fare rules?
kyushuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.