Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Oxymore
Thank you for the very detailed response! I'll also be getting there on an award and doing the transit visa, so good to hear it works well.
I've never flown KQ before, so nice to hear a good review, but good to know we should plan ahead for dinner (anyway, the KQ flight to FCO leaves quite late, so having dinner beforehand makes sense).
Earnings on Flying Blue should be pretty much as good as with DL, especially as a FB Platinum.
You're welcome!

One other thing - if an immigration officer suggests you go see if KQ will pay for your transit visa, say something like thanks, I already checked and they won't.

Only because it's a waste of time with KQ - seems they must justify every expense and separate tickets obviously isn't justifiable

the immigration officer seemed quite confident that it would be quick and easy, and my hotel room wasnt quite ready yet, which is why I entertained it. But it is fruitless (as one would expect).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond - Marriott Titanium - Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You're welcome!

One other thing - if an immigration officer suggests you go see if KQ will pay for your transit visa, say something like thanks, I already checked and they won't.

Only because it's a waste of time with KQ - seems they must justify every expense and separate tickets obviously isn't justifiable

the immigration officer seemed quite confident that it would be quick and easy, and my hotel room wasnt quite ready yet, which is why I entertained it. But it is fruitless (as one would expect).
Thank you for the nice and very interesting report. May I ask if you prepaid the visa online or you got it on arrival? Is it possible to pay with cards for the one on arrival?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by andifax
Thank you for the nice and very interesting report. May I ask if you prepaid the visa online or you got it on arrival? Is it possible to pay with cards for the one on arrival?
I paid on arrival. On arrival, I only saw signs for cash only, and it was either 30 GBP, 40 EUR, or 50 USD for a 90 day tourist visa, or 20 GBP/EUR/USD for a transit visa.

I believe if you must pay with a card, its best to do it online prior to arrival.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
There is an ATM dispensing both US Dollars and Kenyan Shillings in the corridor to the immigration hall, in Terminal 1A.

Transit visas generally get issued immediately after paying, online. Tourist visas can take a little longer to approve. I've also found the SkyPriority immigration line aren't happy at issuing transit visas on arrival.

Oh and they are very flexible with transit visas but it DOES have to be a "real" transit - FCO-NBO-FCO will likely get a refusal, if they notice.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by typical
There is an ATM dispensing both US Dollars and Kenyan Shillings in the corridor to the immigration hall, in Terminal 1A.

Transit visas generally get issued immediately after paying, online. Tourist visas can take a little longer to approve. I've also found the SkyPriority immigration line aren't happy at issuing transit visas on arrival.

Oh and they are very flexible with transit visas but it DOES have to be a "real" transit - FCO-NBO-FCO will likely get a refusal, if they notice.
What's not real about transiting CDG to FCO via NBO?

They noticed for mine and it wasnt a problem.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What's not real about transiting CDG to FCO via NBO?
CDG-NBO-FCO isn't FCO-NBO-FCO.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
FYI... On my second NBO trip in Feb 2020, I was booked on AZ7151 NBO-FCO nonstop then FCO-LAX-JFK. AZ7151 got changed to NBO-GVA-FCO as KQ128 and AZ7151 no longer exists on that day (but does on other days). There were 2 problems with rebooking me on KQ128, 1) I don't want to do the GVA stop and 2) As a Delta flyer KQ is Skyteam tier 2 and doesn't get any class of service bonuses, RDM and MQM are only at 100% even in J.

I hunted around on Expert Flyer for an AF or KL routing. One option was to do either NBO-CDG-FCO or NBO-AMS-FCO (both options offer AF or KL codeshare operated by KQ or pure KL and AF operated flights). It would have resulted in more MQM's but I ended up choosing NBO-AMS KL 787-10 to AMS-LAX KL 747-400MIX. I was able to snag seat 1A in the nose of the 747 for the LAX flight. I know the KLM 747's are a bit dated, but I decided I wanted to ride in the 747 one last time before they retire. 1A is also one of the 2 seats that are singles on the KL 747 nose. I'll still get to try out AZ operated FCO-LAX later this month on my first trip.

Called the Delta Platinum line and they were able to reissue the ticket easily. At first they used DL flight numbers but I was watching them online in My Delta account and was able to ask that they use pure KLM flight no's for better earning and they had no problem changing it. Although the AF and KL flights were not valid in the original fare routing, any valid route is acceptable when a schedule change is involved with Delta. I'm so glad I got it issued on 006 DL stock originally! The NBO-GVA-FCO routing adds 4 hours to arrival time in FCO, so its easy to get them to do anything on it.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:35 pm

Thanks btonkid and Utsikat for your reports.

Similar thing has happened to me as well, Alitalia did not update yet the new schedule change from KQ, so it looks like the AZ codeshare is not there on that day and I have been rescheduled on KQ128 via GVA. I will check to be put on the KL or AF coded flights. What is surprising to me (don't know if it happened the same to you), the ticket reissue due to the sched change was made by AF and the ticket has switched from DL 006 ticket stock to AF 057. Still it should not be an issue as a lot of times DL on the phone has done the opposite thing when reissuing an AF ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:09 pm

Thanks btonkid and Utsikat for your reports.

Similar thing has happened to me as well, Alitalia did not update yet the new schedule change from KQ, so it looks like the AZ codeshare is not there on that day and I have been rescheduled on KQ128 via GVA. I will check to be put on the KL or AF coded flights. What is surprising to me (don't know if it happened the same to you), the ticket reissue due to the sched change was made by AF and the ticket has switched from DL 006 ticket stock to AF 057. Still it should not be an issue as a lot of times DL on the phone has done the opposite thing when reissuing an AF ticket.
I forgot to say, the exact same thing happened to me as well it was reissued 057. But when I called Delta and they saw that it was originally 006 they still had no problem touching it. And when they re-issued it it went back to 006!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Utskicat
Great question. Its in the fare rules, but almost always its like this:
1) Change to flights on first fare component = reprice with today's valid fare
2) Change to second fare component = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
3) Change after first segment is flown (travel commenced) = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
My itinerary is NBO-FCO stopover for 5 days then FCO-LAX-JFK and return JFK-MIA-FCO-NBO.
The first segment is in October, if I make a date change on the FCO-LAX-JFK, is it still repriced with historical fare?
Just asking as you mentioned "change to second fare component" and with the stopover I am not sure if my FCO-LAX-JFK becomes a 2nd fare component rather then 2nd segment.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:52 am

My itinerary is NBO-FCO stopover for 5 days then FCO-LAX-JFK and return JFK-MIA-FCO-NBO.
The first segment is in October, if I make a date change on the FCO-LAX-JFK, is it still repriced with historical fare?
Just asking as you mentioned "change to second fare component" and with the stopover I am not sure if my FCO-LAX-JFK becomes a 2nd fare component rather then 2nd segment.
I **think** you would be okay as you are still flying the first segment. Who did you book with, that will be the biggest impact...if its an online travel agency, any change will be frustrating most likely. If you booked with Delta and have any status, the Medallion desk will probably be able to do it without much fuss. Let us know how it works out!

On another note, I'm in Nairobi right now. Took my one-way Z ticket down last week. Had a misconnect and got rerouted. When they rebooked me, the rebooked J instead of Z so I got 200% instead of 150%. Huge win!
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Question-I am flying the AZ coded flight from NBO to FCO with a stopover. Then FCO-LAX on AZ. Is it possible to reroute to FCO-CDG-LAX with AZ coded flights and operated by AF?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by coiaflyer
Question-I am flying the AZ coded flight from NBO to FCO with a stopover. Then FCO-LAX on AZ. Is it possible to reroute to FCO-CDG-LAX with AZ coded flights and operated by AF?
CDG was not in the original legal fare routing, but my experience is that most changes have been manual reissues and agents have mostly ignored the routing table. I think they see it’s J inventory and assume anything is possible. Who issued the ticket? I think you’ll have more mileage if DL issued it, less if an OTA issued it. So basically, it shouldn’t work but you might get lucky.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Utskicat

CDG was not in the original legal fare routing, but my experience is that most changes have been manual reissues and agents have mostly ignored the routing table. I think they see it’s J inventory and assume anything is possible. Who issued the ticket? I think you’ll have more mileage if DL issued it, less if an OTA issued it. So basically, it shouldn’t work but you might get lucky.
Thank you! DL issued it so I will give it a try now that I have taken my first flight.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by coiaflyer
Thank you! DL issued it so I will give it a try now that I have taken my first flight.
Don’t mention anything about fare routings when you call. Just say “I have a J class full fare ticket and I’d like to re-route on these flights...” Hopefully they’ll just do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.