Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

Newly Obsessed w/ Medallion Status

Hello all! First-time poster w/ a request. Currently have Platinum status.

Departure Airport: BWI (would also consider DCA)
Miles Needed: 22,000 (don't judge me! LOL)
Required Spend or Budget: MQD for Diamond have been met. Prefer to spend under $2K
Available Travel Dates: Dec 6-10 (meaning must be home by 11:59 on Dec 10) or Dec 15-21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Whatever gets me to Diamond

Additional wrinkle: Must be Premium Select (or above). I can't do a 14 hour flight in the Main Cabin

Currently looking at a BWI - PEK roundtrip flight Dec 5-7 for $1200 in Premium Select, but would love to see what you find. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AprilR; Nov 22, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by AprilR
Hello all! First-time poster w/ a request. Currently have Platinum status.

Departure Airport: BWI (would also consider DCA)
Miles Needed: 22,000 (don't judge me! LOL)
Required Spend or Budget: MQD for Diamond have been met. Prefer to spend under $2K
Available Travel Dates: Dec 6-10 (meaning must be home by 11:59 on Dec 10) or Dec 15-21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Whatever gets me to Diamond

Additional wrinkle: Must be Premium Select (or above). I can't do a 14 hour flight in the Main Cabin

Currently looking at a BWI - PEK roundtrip flight Dec 5-7 for $1200 in Premium Select, but would love to see what you find. Thanks in advance!
From your above flight, I am thinking you have a Chinese visa?

If you don't have a Chinese visa, you may want to consider Virgin Atlantic to JNB

Virgin Atlantic, Dec 6 - 8, IAD-JNB, $909 (Economy Delight), 23,000 MQMs, 15 hour layover in London on outbound, 12 hours in JNB, flight gets back to IAD at 4pm on Dec 9

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm Reason: add Virgin Atlantic option
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjt123
Hi all!

I was traveling a ton for work earlier this year (was easily going to make it to Diamond), and unfortunately budgets got cut in Sept and my end of year travel has dropped off.
I have quite far to go (need around 20k miles) but wondering if there is still a way I can make it work out!

Departure Airport: LAX (or any LA area airports)
Miles Needed: 20k
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Last two weeks of December (i know prices get crazy then!)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: codeshare ok (as long as mqms would post in time for cutoff?)
There are some China Eastern flights to KUL that will get you about 19900 MQMs. There may be more dates but below are two possibilities:

Dec 17 - 19, LAX-KUL, $1292 (booking classes: N-B-B-N), about 19900 MQMs, 12 hours in KUL, gets back to LAX at 9am on 19th
Dec 29 - 31, LAX-KUL, $1294 (booking classes: S-B-B-L), about 19900 MQMs, 12 hours in KUL, gets back to LAX at 5pm on 31st

Bookable on Expedia
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Need help with year end MR on Delta/PDX

Hey all,

Anyone willing to help out on finding a MR on Delta from PDX or SEA -- I'm still learning and would welcome any help.

Have had Diamond for a few years and would love to keep it. Just have had a low year (work and honestly a little tired from all of the travel), but should catch back up shortly.

I've tried doing this before but just don't know how to do it. Any advice or even flight suggestions/pairings would be very much welcome

thanks in advance

-J

Last edited by Joe Gerkman; Nov 23, 2019 at 2:42 am
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, United
Great idea

Joe:

I don’t have an answer for you, but I support your ask. Last week I thought I had a sure thing with MH to get to AA Executive Platinum and did not figure out the EQD, so I failed.

I was awarded 20% points and miles for an Economy Plus seat. I called AA after the award, they said there is nothing they can do. I reached out to MH but no response so far.

Good Luck Joe.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:14 am

Wife to Platinum [me to Silver]

Departure Airport: SLC
Miles Needed: 4,373 MQM / 2,167 MQD for wife to reach Platinum [I need 6,057 MQM / 0 MQD for Silver]
Required Spend or Budget: least expensive way of getting her MQDs
Available Travel Dates: now through end of 2019, weekends best but will take anything
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: given the high MQD need for the the MQMs, I think we're in need of partner marketed and flown, correct? (never done this before)

I know she can gift me Silver if she hits Platinum, but maybe she'd take a different benefit if I hit Silver myself. And, I'll probably travel with her anyway. So, we're probably looking for 6,100+ MQM / 2,167+ MQD on partner marketed and flown...right? Everything needs to post by Dec 31st.

We'd be willing to spend a little more if we could get to GSO (to visit family), otherwise willing to go anywhere.

Last edited by bearshaw; Nov 23, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler

If you don't have a Chinese visa, you may want to consider Virgin Atlantic to JNB

Virgin Atlantic, Dec 6 - 8, IAD-JNB, $909 (Economy Delight), 23,000 MQMs, 15 hour layover in London on outbound, 12 hours in JNB, flight gets back to IAD at 4pm on Dec 9

Thanks for asking this! I don't have a Chinese Visa. I wasn't planning on leaving the airport so I was hoping a Visa wasn't required. I'll look into the JNB flight.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by bearshaw
Departure Airport: SLC
Miles Needed: 4,373 MQM / 2,167 MQD for wife to reach Platinum [I need 6,057 MQM / 0 MQD for Silver]
Required Spend or Budget: least expensive way of getting her MQDs
Available Travel Dates: now through end of 2019, weekends best but will take anything
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: given the high MQD need for the the MQMs, I think we're in need of partner marketed and flown, correct? (never done this before)

I know she can gift me Silver if she hits Platinum, but maybe she'd take a different benefit if I hit Silver myself. And, I'll probably travel with her anyway. So, we're probably looking for 6,100+ MQM / 2,167+ MQD on partner marketed and flown...right? Everything needs to post by Dec 31st.

We'd be willing to spend a little more if we could get to GSO (to visit family), otherwise willing to go anywhere.
With the high MQD need, yes, a partner airline would be most inexpensive way.

She could a Virgin Atlantic run from SFO to TLV or JNB but you would need positioning flights to SFO.

SFO-JNB, Dec 6 - 8, $1046 (Economy Delight), earn about 27,000 MQMs and about $5400 MQDs. You would get back to SFO the evening of Dec 9. Also depart SFO in the evening on the Dec.6

SFO-TLV, Dec 7 - 9, $1182 (Economy Delight), earn 18,000 MQMs, $3700 MQDS. The flight leaves SFO late afternoon on Dec. 7. The return flight gets back to SFO the afternoon of Dec. 9

For your MQMs needs, a run to Hawaii should get you the needed miles. e.g. Dec 9, SLC-LAX-OGG-LAX-SLC, $539 (BE), about 6100 MQMs, about 3.5 hours in OGG, flight gets back to SLC early afternoon Dec 10

To travel shorter distance and get the required MQMs and MQDS then you would need to fly in Business class the distance you indicated (e.g. Panama City, Quito, etc.) Business class on AeroMexico earns 40% MQD on distance flown.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 23, 2019 at 9:29 am Reason: add Aeromexico business class
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by AprilR
Thanks for asking this! I don't have a Chinese Visa. I wasn't planning on leaving the airport so I was hoping a Visa wasn't required. I'll look into the JNB flight.
If you went from PEK to a destination in another country (other than the one you came from) then you could get away without a visa.

The rules for "no visa" for China can be found at: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Joe Gerkman
Hey all,

Anyone willing to help out on finding a MR on Delta from PDX or SEA -- I'm still learning and would welcome any help.

Have had Diamond for a few years and would love to keep it. Just have had a low year (work and honestly a little tired from all of the travel), but should catch back up shortly.

I've tried doing this before but just don't know how to do it. Any advice or even flight suggestions/pairings would be very much welcome

thanks in advance

-J
How many MQMS/MQDs do you need? What is your budget? What is your travel availability?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Joe Gerkman
Hey all,

-J
It all depends on how many MQM (and MQD) you need - in addition to available dates ?
BTW ... PDX is notoriously difficult. Better focus on SEA or even YVR

Last edited by Travelomania; Nov 23, 2019 at 10:56 am Reason: to add info
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Last minute push to DM - 30k MQMs and 3k MQDs needed!

Hi all, just hit Platinum and realized I have some travel coming up so will get close to Diamond. Definitely think the GUCs and other CB are worth the approx 3k spend needed but wondered if anyone could help me find a MR that's inexpensive but hits the needs to achieve DM?

Departure Airport: several at different times, see below
Miles Needed: ~30k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $~3k MQDs
Available Travel Dates: last few weeks of December see below
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: codeshare ok (as long as MQDs/MQMs would post in time?)
Exact dates depend upon my itinerary but here's where I'll be able to fly out of:
December 6-8: OGG (although I'd need to make up lost miles to LAX-JFK from OGG)
December 11: LAX (making up lost miles to JFK in Economy)
December 15-31: JFK

I currently have a plan to go to the Bahamas over Xmas so could potentially add additional legs into that to build up MQMs/MQDs. My guess is a partner flight to Europe or Asia but would love to hear your ideas. If it gets me to a country I've never been before (Italy, South America, Russia, half of Asia, Africa etc) that would be an added bonus.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler

Thanks AprilR for the question and canuck_traveler for the great suggestion!

Can you suggest anything that's DL-marketed whereby a DL Global Upgrade Certificate can be applied to make the long-haul MR more tolerable? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by nirave
Hi all, just hit Platinum and realized I have some travel coming up so will get close to Diamond. Definitely think the GUCs and other CB are worth the approx 3k spend needed but wondered if anyone could help me find a MR that's inexpensive but hits the needs to achieve DM?

Departure Airport: several at different times, see below
Miles Needed: ~30k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $~3k MQDs
Available Travel Dates: last few weeks of December see below
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: codeshare ok (as long as MQDs/MQMs would post in time?)
Exact dates depend upon my itinerary but here's where I'll be able to fly out of:
December 6-8: OGG (although I'd need to make up lost miles to LAX-JFK from OGG)
December 11: LAX (making up lost miles to JFK in Economy)
December 15-31: JFK

I currently have a plan to go to the Bahamas over Xmas so could potentially add additional legs into that to build up MQMs/MQDs. My guess is a partner flight to Europe or Asia but would love to hear your ideas. If it gets me to a country I've never been before (Italy, South America, Russia, half of Asia, Africa etc) that would be an added bonus.

Thanks!!
Dec 6 - 7, Delta, OGG-JFK (routing: OGG-LAX-JFK-SFO-SEA-OGG), $1053, 10,600 MQMs, $956 MQD

Dec 11 - 13, China Eastern, LAX-KUL, $1292 (booking classes: N-B-B-S), about 19,900 MQMs, $2200 MQDs, 12 hours in KUL, bookable on Expedia
nirave likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by drunkmoose
Thanks AprilR for the question and canuck_traveler for the great suggestion!

Can you suggest anything that's DL-marketed whereby a DL Global Upgrade Certificate can be applied to make the long-haul MR more tolerable? Your thoughts are appreciated.
You could look at IAD-JNB on Delta/KLM (via AMS is about 20,500 MQMs; via ATL is about 17,800 MQMs)

IAD-SIN, about 21,000 MQMs but only the cross Pacific portion is eligible for GUC if the flight is operated by Delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.