Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by wormburg3315
Departure Airport: DTW (preferable), but can do FNT, LAN, GRR
MQM Needed: 7,000
Budget: Preferably $1,200 or less
Available travel dates: 12/2 (evening or later) - 12/5, 12/12-12/13, 12/16-17
Metal / codeshare: Any to maximize MQM

Can do quick turnarounds, or layovers within timeframes specified. Definitely last minute! Had great advice on this site from my first post a month ago, but couldn't pull the trigger, so looking to do it again! Thanks!
Dec 12, DTW-PHX (via MSP), $300 (BE), about 3500 MQMs, immediate turn
Dec 16, DTW-PHX (via MSP), $311 (BE) about 3500 MQMs, immediate turn

You could do a trip to the Hawaiian Islands and get the mileage in one trip

e.g. DTW-OGG, Dec 12, $756, about 9800 MQMs, arrives back in DTW on Dec 13
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:06 pm

Fantastic, all doable options. Thank you!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Dec 12, DTW-PHX (via MSP), $300 (BE), about 3500 MQMs, immediate turn
Dec 16, DTW-PHX (via MSP), $311 (BE) about 3500 MQMs, immediate turn

You could do a trip to the Hawaiian Islands and get the mileage in one trip

e.g. DTW-OGG, Dec 12, $756, about 9800 MQMs, arrives back in DTW on Dec 13

Fantastic!! All doable options!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Google flights, ITA Matrix, Kayak...several options.

Originally Posted by DoormatMike
Loads of great info on this site - thanks all!

Quick question.... Is there a good site/URL where I can search for Delta flight sales in Nov/Dec? I need about 10K MQM to re qualify for Platinum.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by motoridersd
For those needing around 10,000 MQMs, have you considered getting the Amex Delta Reserve card for its 10k MQM bonus after spending $3000? This has been in the back of my mind since I have upcoming expenses that would meet the $3k threshold. I see some requests for this number of MQMs with a budget of more than the $450 annual fee of the card. Just throwing it out there as an option to consider, it might work for you if you have expenses that would cover this minimum.

Definitely was a possibility! I made a strategic decision to use transferrable points and gift cards rather than the Reserve route, but it definitely sounds like a viable strategy!!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:19 pm

Thanks to an MQD run to Johannesburg in December suggested here, I'll make Diamond in 2019. In 2020, I expect my flying pattern will be much the same as this year -- I'll be MOM heavy and MQD light. I have some time available for an MQD mileage run January 2-12 -- does anyone have any suggestions? I'll depart PIT, but could easily reposition to ATL. DTW, NYC, or elsewhere.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Plat qualification

Departure Airport: WAS (any)
MQM Needed: 5,600
MQD Needed: None
Budget: <$500
Available travel dates: Any time through 12/23
Any metal is fine

To qual for platinum. After next biz trip, I am fine on dollars and will be only about 5,600 short on MQMs. Seems just a little far for a transcon unless I route through multiple stops. Am thinking to just do a long weekend to Europe and I see a couple of WAS-AMS routing options on DL/KL for ~$600 (cheaper than any domestic fares with 150%/200% MQM). But...I'm certain someone here will have a vastly superior idea. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Departure Airport: WAS (any)
MQM Needed: 5,600
MQD Needed: None
Budget: <$500
Available travel dates: Any time through 12/23
Any metal is fine

To qual for platinum. After next biz trip, I am fine on dollars and will be only about 5,600 short on MQMs. Seems just a little far for a transcon unless I route through multiple stops. Am thinking to just do a long weekend to Europe and I see a couple of WAS-AMS routing options on DL/KL for ~$600 (cheaper than any domestic fares with 150%/200% MQM). But...I'm certain someone here will have a vastly superior idea. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
A consideration:

Dec 10, BWI-YVR (via DTW, SEA on both outbound and inbound), $338 (BE), about 5800 MQMs
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Thanks to an MQD run to Johannesburg in December suggested here, I'll make Diamond in 2019. In 2020, I expect my flying pattern will be much the same as this year -- I'll be MOM heavy and MQD light. I have some time available for an MQD mileage run January 2-12 -- does anyone have any suggestions? I'll depart PIT, but could easily reposition to ATL. DTW, NYC, or elsewhere.
Currently, Virgin Atlantic has the better MQD mileage runs. Unfortunately, the lower prices don't start until January 17th.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
A consideration:

Dec 10, BWI-YVR (via DTW, SEA on both outbound and inbound), $338 (BE), about 5800 MQMs
And I'd get to go to Vancouver! Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless a mistake is made, you earn MQMs and MQDs based on the ticket that was (originally) purchased. So on DL flights, it's 150% for B Y G A P as well as Z I D and C (with full J and full F earning 200%). All other paid coach fares (M H Q K L U T X V E) get 100% assuming that no partners are involved.

Using a GUC should never change the MQDs even if there's some additional collection for taxes and fees, including the infamous luxury tax exLHR (and certain other UK airports) because government imposed taxes and fees don't earn MQDs.
Thanks. This information totally makes sense. Especially when flying all Delta.

I've never had a GUC and thus I have never used a GUC. I am expecting to gain Diamond in a few weeks with a trip from FlyerTalk I booked from Las Vegas to Brussels.

Just to confirm... can I use a GUC on a KLM flight to upgrade to business and gain anything for nothing? Is there any difference if I apply a GUC on a KLM flight with earnings set at 40% of distance for MQDs and 150% of distance for MQMs? Or is there some Delta rule that doesn't allow me to apply the GUC to KLM in a way that would be super beneficial?

The Delta GUC thread (with a link posted earlier) does not address this issue.

Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
On Delta, doing a flexible date search on departures from DPS - there are $1200+ flights to Los Angeles (Jan 22) and New York (January 23.)

Most China Eastern flights should earn 100% MQM. Same with Korean.
$1,200 just seems so expensive. Wondering if there's cheaper ways to do it - perhaps flying out of any nearby airports Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, HK, etc.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Newb here for MR...

I work near IAD/DCA and will be travel home SFO/SNJ and thinking about start some MR and get some status, anything
Beside multiple US weekend trip home (6-8 RT) , I have 2 planned (IAD-ETH) and IAD-SIN trip next year

What is your Experts recommend for a decent MR planning next year? I am hope for Gold but any status is fine for now.

TIA,

Tan
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ccna101
Newb here for MR...

I work near IAD/DCA and will be travel home SFO/SNJ and thinking about start some MR and get some status, anything
Beside multiple US weekend trip home (6-8 RT) , I have 2 planned (IAD-ETH) and IAD-SIN trip next year

What is your Experts recommend for a decent MR planning next year? I am hope for Gold but any status is fine for now.

TIA,

Tan
To achieve Gold status, you will need 50,000 MQMs and $6000 MQDs.

For those 6-8 weekend trips home, IAD-ETH and IAD-SIN are you planning to fly Skyteam? If so, that should be enough for Gold by itself (6 trips to SFO = about 25,000, SIN = 20,000, ETH=10,000)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Got the Delta Platinum Amex from Gold for the 5000MQMs. Currently in Mexico leaving on the 29th back home. 4k MQMs coming from this trip which I imagine the 4k mqms will be credited after the trip is completed, correct?

I have already earned gold, so now close to Platinum - never made it there before. According to my calcualations about 15,778 MQMS away .

Home Airport MSP
Flexible dates December 7 onward
Cost as cheap as possible, but willing to do a Biz class or shoot for a D1 if it works to do one run instead of multiples.

Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.