Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by kingkazul400
Just got back from the JFK > JNB run via VS this past weekend that canuck_traveler suggested. Itching for another run to give me a fair amount of padding for next year (or get Platinum), though preferably somewhere in Asia or South America this time. Theoretically could just do another JNB run but I'm not too keen on repeating the same route.

Did a bit of light research and found one from my home (ORF) to BKK for $1330 in PE, but that's contingent on me taking the 24th of November through the 28th off. I'd much rather burn vacation time for a Friday or Monday and do a long weekend run instead of a weekday run.

Departure Airport: ORF, can reposition to JFK, IAD, or ATL
Miles Needed: 24,000 MQM to Platinum
Required Spend or Budget: up to $2000
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend plus Friday or Monday
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes
Some ideas for consideration:

Virgin Atlantic, IAD-JNB, Dec 6 -8, $1743 (Premium), 27,000 MQMs, 12 hours in LHR on outbound, 12 hours in JNB, flight gets back to IAD Dec. 9

China Eastern, JFK-AKL, Dec 6 - Dec 8, $1587, about 26,000 MQMs, 5.5 hours in AKL, flight gets back to JFK the afternoon of Dec. 9

China Eastern, JFK-MLE, Dec 7 - Dec 9, $1297, about 25,000 MQMs, 25 hours in MLE, flights arrives back on Dec. 10
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkitsmiller
Departure Airport: AUS
Mileage Needed: 15,000
Required Spend: $3,500
Available Travel Dates: After 12/9/2019
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: anything netting high MQM/MQD

Will reposition as needed
With the MQD need of $3500, you are probably looking at a partner airline (assuming that you don't really want to spend $3500.) The really good Virgin Atlantic fares end before your travel availability but there are flights to JNB from LAX, IAD, JFK, SFO, BOS on the Dec 13th weekend for about $2000 (Economy Delight) that will earn you the required mileage and mqd

Flying from the West Coast to TLV on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight class will also get you the required MQMs and MQDs for a slightly lower price (around $1817)

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 13, 2019 at 4:25 pm Reason: add TLV option
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:44 pm

Departure Airport: AUS
Mileage Needed: 15,000
Required Spend: $3,500
Available Travel Dates: After 12/9/2019
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: anything netting high MQM/MQD

Will reposition as needed
What I should have probably said is that I need $3,500 MQD too, but want to spend as little as possible of course.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
With the MQD need of $3500, you are probably looking at a partner airline (assuming that you don't really want to spend $3500.) The really good Virgin Atlantic fares end before your travel availability but there are flights to JNB from LAX, IAD, JFK, SFO, BOS on the Dec 13th weekend for about $2000 (Economy Delight) that will earn you the required mileage and mqd

Flying from the West Coast to TLV on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight class will also get you the required MQMs and MQDs for a slightly lower price (around $1817)
Thank you! I think JNB sounds better, I'll check it out.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
End of year run

Looking for a run around Christmas. Don't mind flying on Christmas for a better fare.

Departure airport: LGA, JFK, EWR
Miles Needed: 7300

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler

I really appreciate the help. Curious though, how you calculate the options? Is there some easier way for someone doing a MR to figure it out then ask someone else to do the work?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by xef4
Looking for a run around Christmas. Don't mind flying on Christmas for a better fare.

Departure airport: LGA, JFK, EWR
Miles Needed: 7300

Thanks!
Not exactly the cheapest time to travel unfortunately.

A trip to Anchorage or the Hawaiian islands will get you the needed mileage. Prices around Christmas are in the $1000+ range though may be a bit cheaper after Christmas.

e.g. Dec. 29, JFK-HNL, $714 (BE) / $804 (MC), 9900 MQMs, immediate turn in HNL arriving back in JFK on Dec. 30, similar prices from all New York area airports
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:35 pm

I really appreciate the help. Curious though, how you calculate the options? Is there some easier way for someone doing a MR to figure it out then ask someone else to do the work?
MQDs on partner airlines are calculated based on distance flown. JNB from the East coast is about 18,000 miles and 22,000 from the West Coast on Virgin Atlantic routings (they go through LHR). Economy Delight fares earn 25% of distance flown for the MQD calculation ( Delta partner earning chart.) If you want to earn a few more MQMs then you would probably fly from the West Coast.

The China Eastern flights, while less expensive, also don't earn as much MQD as the cheaper fares usually earn only 5% or 10% of distance flown.

Singapore and Johannesburg are the standard places to look for good fare prices / mileage earned and MQDs (at the present time.) If one doesn't care about MQDs then I would usually say that the best deals would be those cheap China Eastern flights to Asia.

Similarly, the longest domestic US flights are to the Hawaiian islands (roughly 10,000 MQMs) from the East Coast followed by a trip to Alaska (roughly 7500 MQMs). Once you know the basic distances between places, you can figure out the options pretty quickly. Flexible date search is your friend.

I should add that this is for Economy class fares. I don't have a clue about business/first class deals.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 13, 2019 at 5:45 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:25 pm

If I book a flight on KLM, but it is on DL metal, do I earn MQDs as a percentage of miles flown, or $ spent on DL?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:29 pm

If I book a flight on KLM, but it is on DL metal, do I earn MQDs as a percentage of miles flown, or $ spent on DL?
It will depend on who the marketing carrier is, i.e. is the flight number listed as DL or KLM.

Take a look at this recent discussion: KLM or Delta reservation for KLM flights?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Need 15K MQMS on DELTA to keep Diamond Status for next year

Good Afternoon!
Anyone know of any good Mileage Run Deals out of MSP over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I only need 5500 MQMS, but want to carry over some as well so that next year is a tad easier. Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Andre Brewer
Good Afternoon!
Anyone know of any good Mileage Run Deals out of MSP over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I only need 5500 MQMS, but want to carry over some as well so that next year is a tad easier. Thanks for your help!
Do you need any MQDs?

How much money are you willing to spend? Do you want coach, PS, or business class?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:44 pm

Hi! I do not need MQDs as I believe that I will make the 15K needed for that. I am willing to fly whatever is most economical, gets me the MQMS and fits the dates of November 27th to December 2nd.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:46 pm

Probably no more than 2K, but hoping to spend less.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:51 pm

Need 3k in MQDs!!

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.