Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
is that so far only got VA stock ticket being cancelled? mine was under DL stock and looks pretty intact.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Lesson learned. Only ticket with original carrier issuing the fare. This was a Delta loaded fare. The other airlines will never swallow the "hit" if they can blame another carrier.

Virgin Australia is also sneaky on how they play customers. My Virgin coded flights to China on SQ should haveearned me 100% mileage only got me 10%
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:07 pm

Virgin Australia Changed My Biz to Economy on this

I just checked my booking and Virgin changed my booking from Business to Economy
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by davistev
Lesson learned. Only ticket with original carrier issuing the fare. This was a Delta loaded fare. The other airlines will never swallow the "hit" if they can blame another carrier.

Virgin Australia is also sneaky on how they play customers. My Virgin coded flights to China on SQ should haveearned me 100% mileage only got me 10%
How do you know that Delta issued this fare?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyguy1234
is that so far only got VA stock ticket being cancelled? mine was under DL stock and looks pretty intact.
FWIW I booked thru Delta.com and my flights still seemed confirmed. Just checked a few mins ago and still have my seat assignments in BUsiness.

I also have my TransPacific flights on Virgin Australia so seems booking thru Delta is being honored?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiHighFlyer
Definitely going to lodge a case with the Dispute Tribunal. I actually have a firm date I need to be in the US for (which is next week), and I've just booked UA at over $5.5k. They can pay me the cost of the UA fare.

I spent over an hour on the phone with the Plat team before. The supervisors' hands were tied by revenue management.

To quote them: "Completely understand where you are coming from, and how the situation is handled is not favourable to you, but we have been told firmly that the only two options available are a) cancel for a full refund or b) downgrade to economy. There is literally nothing else I can offer. Our head office is closely monitoring this."
I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but what typically happens in a case similar to this where one books nonrefundable positioning flights, it's outside the 24-hour window, then the airline cancels?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Ours was a virgin fare
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but what typically happens in a case similar to this where one books nonrefundable positioning flights, it's outside the 24-hour window, then the airline cancels?
Here's what the US DOT rules say about mistaken fares. Airlines are now not required to honour them providing they can prove that it was a mistake. You will also note from the following that the airline is however required to refund reasonable out-of-pocket expenses in addition to the airfare (see the highlighted section).

DOT Rules re mistaken fares:
As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, the Enforcement Office will not enforce the requirement of section 399.88 with regard to mistaken fares occurring on or after the date of this notice so long as the airline or seller of air transportation: (1) demonstrates that the fare was a mistake fare; and (2) reimburses all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket. These expenses include, but are not limited to, non-refundable hotel reservations, destination tour packages or activities, cancellation fees for non-refundable connecting air travel and visa or other international travel fees. The airline may ask the consumer requesting out-of-pocket expenses to provide evidence (i.e. receipts or proof of cancellations) of actual costs incurred by the consumer. In essence, the airline or seller of air transportation is required to make the consumer “whole” by restoring the consumer to the position he or she was in prior to the purchase of the mistaken fare.
END

So you can claim out-of-pocket expenses as stated above. But note that these DOT regulations only apply if the flights include a US port (which this fare does).

Now, actually getting any money out of an airline for out-of-pocket expenses is a completely different matter!!

Last edited by minz56; Nov 8, 2017 at 10:02 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Mcmatto
FWIW I booked thru Delta.com and my flights still seemed confirmed. Just checked a few mins ago and still have my seat assignments in BUsiness.

I also have my TransPacific flights on Virgin Australia so seems booking thru Delta is being honored?
Did you check on the Virgin Australia website with their record locator?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Did you check on the Virgin Australia website with their record locator?
I wished to do that but I don't know how to get VA record locator without calling Delta?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:15 am

So after making the dreaded call to get the refund, I've worked out I'll be about $100 out of pocket which is pretty 5hit to be honest...now I have to try to work out how to get that out of them......
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by jazza1971
So after making the dreaded call to get the refund, I've worked out I'll be about $100 out of pocket which is pretty 5hit to be honest...now I have to try to work out how to get that out of them......
You should assuredly file a DOT complaint. https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm

Keep it short and to the point. I would emphasize that Delta is apparently honoring this fare and that you relied in good faith on VA to do the same in making your other out-of-pocket expenses.

At minimum they are required to reimburse those expenses, and at maximum, there's always this outcome (from the Emirates Maldives fare earlier this year):
Originally Posted by sgan317
I had a reservation on hold booked directly with emirates that was cancelled, DOT complaint filed and then 3 weeks later they called me to reinstate the reservation.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: NZ
Cool

Originally Posted by jazza1971
You need to provide clear documentary evidence to VA as to why you are out-of-pocket by $100, citing the DOT rules for mistaken fares that I posted above, and asking them to reimburse you.

You may also want to register a complaint to the DOT as peregrinus suggests - with a bit of luck your flights will be reinstated

Good luck
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
I wished to do that but I don't know how to get VA record locator without calling Delta?
managed to get VA PNR with my DL ticketed reservation, all sectors seem to be still normal and showing all in Business.

p.s. all my sectors are with DL-coded flight nos.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by sydneyguy1234
managed to get VA PNR with my DL ticketed reservation, all sectors seem to be still normal and showing all in Business.

p.s. all my sectors are with DL-coded flight nos.
How did you pull VA PNR? I guess, called DL? None of the tricks I know (CheckMyTrip, TripCase, MyFlightsApp, Saudia) helped me, since Delta uses in-house reservation system, and its PNRs are hardly used to any web-site but DL itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.