Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by danam

For many people it's more of a problem with positioning flights. On this one I will probably book mine next week. If BA bin my ticket then I will visit London or possibly book another destination from LHR. Again, it's entirely a personal choice with a lot of variables.
Just to offer to the community what I did under these circumstances. I already booked positioning flights with miles as I feel this is the best way to do this since you can get miles refunded at just about any time before departure date. At least with AS miles.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Guys, I would advise waiting one week from booking to make hotel reservations, positioning flights, etc.

As long as your trip is at least three weeks away, you should be fine. I've not seen hotels change price considerably 3+ weeks out, and most sale/error fares that are cancelled are cancelled within a week.

Of course YMMV, each person has their own risk tolerance, etc.... but if you want some concrete advice, that's it. Wait a week and then book.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Got a super cheap fare and still complaining? The sense of entitlement for some is quite remarkable.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by benjai
Got a super cheap fare and still complaining? The sense of entitlement for some is quite remarkable.
Whose complaining? I just want to know what one should expect (or lack thereof) in this scenario and what others plan to do.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dordal
Guys, I would advise waiting one week from booking to make hotel reservations, positioning flights, etc.

As long as your trip is at least three weeks away, you should be fine. I've not seen hotels change price considerably 3+ weeks out, and most sale/error fares that are cancelled are cancelled within a week.

Of course YMMV, each person has their own risk tolerance, etc.... but if you want some concrete advice, that's it. Wait a week and then book.
Thanks for sharing your opinion with all of us. I agree and have decided that is how long I will wait.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I agree and have decided that is how long I will wait.
Hallelujah!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just for the record it’s not simply 29.50£. I booked 3 of these tickets. It’s 29.50£ five nights+ 11 nights in Guayaquil. This sum of money could be over $1,000 and if I could know when to book it could potentionally equal hundreds of dollars in savings.
three trips for you ? (greedy! )

or one trip for a party of three?

It always seems rather thoughtless to involve others in the geekiness of MR's where these involve uncertainty, positioning and other faffing about with additional flights and hotels. But you might have more patient friends and family than i have !!

Friends and loved ones have made it perfectly clear to me that flying "the wrong way" for 6 hours before starting the journey proper after a night in an airport hotel is not a good way to begin a holiday
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:00 am

I think that anyone who is able to get a great deal like this should be happy for the savings they are making on the first class ticket.

The price of hotels should not be a priority, Pay the premium of a little bit more to get refundable hotels then if worse happens you will be zero out of pocket. BA is they cancel will issue a full refund

But if you are trying to make non refundable hotel bookings to save money then you have to be prepared to take that loss if they cancel tickets

BA Cancel with refundable Hotel costs - no loss to you
BA Cancel with non refundable Hotel costs - loss to you is the whole value of all your hotel bookings

Saying this I have booked non refundable hotel for my 4 nights in Quito because it was so so cheap but if they Cancel I am happy to bear that loss and move on

I am no expert with the error fares and I guess that we can only guess what they will do, Hopefully they are working on other projects than cancelling error fare tickets
Edgerfly and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:05 am
Suspended

Just to be clear, all I want are other people’s opinions and what they plan to do at this point, given it’s been two full days and no cancellations.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:07 am

Yes I do believe I’m being held hostage because I made a ticket purchase from the airline fair and square, know my dates, and would like to start making hotel arrangements. But since they may pull the rug out from under me, I have no idea if they will honor their end of a business transaction. Hence why I used the term being held “hostage.” You can disagree, but that’s the way I feel about it.
You are not being held hostage. Book the full price $10000 trip and then book cheapest possible non refundable hotel. You will be guaranteed your flights will be in tact and BA will not cancel them.
Saving 90% of the full price of a full fare first class ticket gives up the right for anyone of us to be hostages.
This is a game of win some and lose some. Hopefully your ticket will will be honoured and for peace of mind book refundable rooms. I get the impression that if you book non refundable hotels that you will be upset at your financial loss for the hotels should ba cancel
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peacefultraveller
You are not being held hostage. Book the full price $10000 trip and then book cheapest possible non refundable hotel. You will be guaranteed your flights will be in tact and BA will not cancel them.
Saving 90% of the full price of a full fare first class ticket gives up the right for anyone of us to be hostages.
This is a game of win some and lose some. Hopefully your ticket will will be honoured and for peace of mind book refundable rooms. I get the impression that if you book non refundable hotels that you will be upset at your financial loss for the hotels should ba cancel
We’ll have to agree to disagree. When I booked the ticket, it didn’t come with a disclaimer saying the airline can just cancel the ticket at anytime they want to. In addition for some of us $1050 is a lot of money, so just assuming this is a mistake fare isn’t fair either. Especially given how many cheap F/J fares have been published to obsecure destinations by many different carriers.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:31 am

We’ll have to agree to disagree. When I booked the ticket, it didn’t come with a disclaimer saying the airline can just cancel the ticket at anytime they want to. In addition for some of us $1050 is a lot of money, so just assuming this is a mistake fare isn’t fair either. Especially given how many cheap F/J fares have been published to obsecure destinations by many different carriers.

You know full well this was a mistake fare, you were not searching for first class travel and wow look you found a good deal. You found this through it being advised to you on here or somewhere else. The airlines can cancel error fares and their is no disclaimer because they are not known to be error fares until after the fact
if $1050 is a lot of money then I would insure your money buy purchasing non refundable hotels.

This error fare game is about luck and risk but in no way is it about entitlement.

If this doesn't work out don't worry, tomorrow or next week or next month there will be another one and some will not be cancelled

BA is not lucky to have our business in this case we are lucky they made a mistake

Are you prepared to risk losing the $1050? You have 2 answers YES or NO. The answer that you provide should determine what hotel you book Refundable or non refundable
cedejah and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peacefultraveller
You know full well this was a mistake fare, you were not searching for first class travel and wow look you found a good deal. You found this through it being advised to you on here or somewhere else. The airlines can cancel error fares and their is no disclaimer because they are not known to be error fares until after the fact
if $1050 is a lot of money then I would insure your money buy purchasing non refundable hotels.

This error fare game is about luck and risk but in no way is it about entitlement.

If this doesn't work out don't worry, tomorrow or next week or next month there will be another one and some will not be cancelled

BA is not lucky to have our business in this case we are lucky they made a mistake

Are you prepared to risk losing the $1050? You have 2 answers YES or NO. The answer that you provide should determine what hotel you book Refundable or non refundable
The ticket is not $1. It is not known “full well” this is a mistake fare. This is around the time BA offers sales and given no cancellations have occurred, and many airlines offering deeply discounted premium fares, I’d argue that at this point we have no idea. Also so what if I read about this fare somewhere? What does reading about a good deal somewhere, and then booking it have to do with anything?

Your arguement is based solely on what you think a mistake fare looks like. That qualifies as your opinion, not a matter of fact.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:48 am

The ticket is not $1. It is not known “full well” this is a mistake fare. This is around the time BA offers sales and given no cancellations have occurred, and many airlines offering deeply discounted premium fares, I’d argue that at this point we have no idea. Also so what if I read about this fare somewhere? What does reading about a good deal somewhere, and then booking it have to do with anything?

Your arguement is based solely on what you think a mistake fare looks like. That qualifies as your opinion, not a matter of fact.
This is not a court of law where we are arguing if this is a valid fare. This is a forum where we discuss the error fare, everybody here knows its an error fare. You know its an error fare and I do

IF BA cancel.....suck it up buttercup and move on

If you want to take some legal action against BA if they cancel to prove your point that maybe this was a genuine fare then good luck but I have a feeling your legal costs may be non refundable unlike hotels that are available to you
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically not gone if you wanna fork over $10,050 now.
It's gone. That's a different fare (in fact it's three different fares added together).

Personally I would wait a couple of weeks before booking non-refundable hotels. By that time a few people will have flown this fare, and BA has had enough time to come to a proper conclusion.

The £30 hotel at Heathrow I might buy now, simply because it seems like an excellent deal and £30 is neither here nor there.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.