Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian : SIN-YYZ $945 RT (2.1 CPM on A3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian : SIN-YYZ $945 RT (2.1 CPM on A3)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Cancelled 2 tickets (C & D fare) lost C$98.23. Called VISA, explain ET claims it was a mistake fare and cancelled the ticket. Took them a few minutes put me on hold and give me the money back.
Wait, you got the currency exchange loss back in the form of credit/refund?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
I finally found someone who manage to get his C class ticket re-issued.
He booked directly with ET website and his ticket get cancelled like everyone. He called and negotiated with ET office in BKK many times and finally get approved and new ticket issued.

His departure is in Jun, let's see if I could get a report after that time.

Good luck everyone
Attached Images  

Last edited by tiamsanit; May 19, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old May 18, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
yes why not, I also experience the same. some bank ok some bank refused...
Old May 18, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by nli007
Yup. No hassle, just explained to the CSR (took less than 30 seconds, plain and simple), she checked my transactions and put on some elevator music for a few minutes. Come back telling me she credited me back the different.

If it was like some of you only losing a few bucks I wouldn't call...

From what I understand is the rate my VISA uses, baked in something like a 2.5% (or 3%?) "service fee" for foreign transactions. So even if I 'buy' and 'refund' on the same day, even with in minutes, there will be a 5-6% different.

It is like you go to a foreign exchange office, the buy & sell price are always above and below the current exchange rate.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by tiamsanit
I finally talk to someone who manage to get his C class ticket re-issued.
He booked directly with ET website and get his ticket cancelled. He call and negotiated with ET office in BKK many time and finally get approved and new ticket issue.

Good luck everyone
^^

Oh well, too late for me...

Old May 18, 2017, 11:21 pm

He booked directly with ET website and get his ticket cancelled. He call and negotiated with ET office in BKK many time and finally get approved and new ticket issue.

Good luck everyone
wait so what is this?
Old May 19, 2017, 5:16 am

He booked directly with ET website and his ticket get cancelled like everyone. He call and negotiated with ET office in BKK many times and finally get approved and new ticket issued.

Good luck everyone
Congrats!
Old May 19, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
From what I understand is the rate my VISA uses, baked in something like a 2.5% (or 3%?) "service fee" for foreign transactions. So even if I 'buy' and 'refund' on the same day, even with in minutes, there will be a 5-6% different.
No, my experience is that you will not loose additional 2.5-3% when making a refund. On the contrary, VISA will add the same currency conversion fee but in your favour when making a refund, i.e. save for any currency fluctuations between time of purchase and time of refund, you should get the same amount back. The reason why people feel short changed here is unfavourable currency fluctuation since date of purchase.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No, my experience is that you will not loose additional 2.5-3% when making a refund. On the contrary, VISA will add the same currency conversion fee but in your favour when making a refund, i.e. save for any currency fluctuations between time of purchase and time of refund, you should get the same amount back. The reason why people feel short changed here is unfavourable currency fluctuation since date of purchase.
Not in Canada. They charge 2.5% both ways. My experience with Amex is they will refund the lost funds if you call them.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Not in Canada. They charge 2.5% both ways. My experience with Amex is they will refund the lost funds if you call them.
In the USA, if you are short changed, dispute/call. The CC company will make you whole. I did it and it was no problem.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Global321
In the USA, if you are short changed, dispute/call. The CC company will make you whole. I did it and it was no problem.
I was unaware that CCs did that. Thanks! I will give it a try
Old May 20, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Is anyone still hasn't got their money back, got mine cancelled almost a month and ET claim it has been fully refunded but still no sign of my money coming back.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by sydneyguy1234
Is anyone still hasn't got their money back, got mine cancelled almost a month and ET claim it has been fully refunded but still no sign of my money coming back.
me too, I already dispute with my bank and let's see how long it gonna took
Old May 21, 2017, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
I finally found someone who manage to get his C class ticket re-issued.
He booked directly with ET website and his ticket get cancelled like everyone. He called and negotiated with ET office in BKK many times and finally get approved and new ticket issued.

His departure is in Jun, let's see if I could get a report after that time.

Good luck everyone
yipee! great news!
Old May 22, 2017, 4:55 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Matthew from Live and Let's Fly yesterday denied boarding at this fare...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.