Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
OK, so I have an interesting sub challenge... I forgot to book our annual spring break trip for next spring, and now the flights look tough.

Here are the parameters:
Anywhere in the world, preference to places without huge visa requirements
Can leave from any reasonable airport to DFW (ACT, GGG, SHV, AUS, OKC)
OW EQM earning fare important
Departure after 4pm March 9th or 10 etc
Arrival back before 11pm Sunday March 18th
No specific length requirements, but don't want to fly to Asia for only 1 day.
Preference to ~800 per seat, but open to options.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
OK, so I have an interesting sub challenge... I forgot to book our annual spring break trip for next spring, and now the flights look tough.

Here are the parameters:
Anywhere in the world, preference to places without huge visa requirements
Can leave from any reasonable airport to DFW (ACT, GGG, SHV, AUS, OKC)
OW EQM earning fare important
Departure after 4pm March 9th or 10 etc
Arrival back before 11pm Sunday March 18th
No specific length requirements, but don't want to fly to Asia for only 1 day.
Preference to ~800 per seat, but open to options.
For something this far out, it makes more sense for you to decide where you want to go, then monitor the airfares and buy when the price is right.
TYR-DFW-HKG-DFW-TYR out 3/9 return 3/18 is $785.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...3843;a=AA;eo=e
Old May 26, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jbeckett
For something this far out, it makes more sense for you to decide where you want to go, then monitor the airfares and buy when the price is right.
TYR-DFW-HKG-DFW-TYR out 3/9 return 3/18 is $785.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...3843;a=AA;eo=e
I knew I could count on Flyertalk!
Old May 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evotion
I'm just waiting to find a good CX fare. Got any ideas SAS?
How to proceed depends on your constraints somewhat. Are you flexible on destination or date?

The more expert folks here will probably have better ideas, but my tendency is to use Google Flights. Since I'm usually flexible on date and less so on location, I give GF the end points and then look at their calendar for best dates. I'll try various other starting points (MIA/ORD/DFW/LAX) as well.

I then ask GF to track some itineraries in the hope that the price goes down.

I also check the Premium Fares forum to see if, by some miracle, something pops up that I can build on.

I'm actually looking at PE to SYD/AKL for early next year. My last TPAC was CX PE and I was not impressed.; I may go JL, in the hopes that that is better, even though it will apparently cost a bit more.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: marco polo club
Hey folks ...
I need to get equivalent to 500 club points (mpc) to reach diamond/emerald by end of the year.
Any insights on how I can do this ? I'm very new to mileage run stuff, so not sure how to approach this. I've previously done some routes via AA and MH biz class which I found contributed a lot of points.

I have some trips which I need to do this year. And want to maximize the points. I'm based in HKG

June : TPE,
July: TPE, ADL
Aug: TPE, SYD
Sep~Dec: TPE each month, NRT twice

any expertise on how I can maximize this would be appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:32 am

Hi All,
I need to get to Jordan (Amman) for a wedding on 3rd Sept...im based in the UK but does anyone know the best way getting there either cheap eco or premium air fare (oneworld), I cannot seem to find anything asides from direct out of Heathrow with RJ/BA....
Any tips and advice other local EU airports appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:56 am

Hi all,

With an unexpected jump in travel this year, I'm looking to attain that AA brass ring- EXP. Currently PLT. Thank you in advance for the much needed help...

Departure Airports: PHL/JFK/LGA/EWR (could position if needed)
Miles Needed: 81k
Required Spend or Budget: as little as possible, but of course, flexible with this many miles needed
Available Travel Dates: completely open
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or earning EQM partners
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ritz
Hi all,

With an unexpected jump in travel this year, I'm looking to attain that AA brass ring- EXP. Currently PLT. Thank you in advance for the much needed help...

Departure Airports: PHL/JFK/LGA/EWR (could position if needed)
Miles Needed: 81k
Required Spend or Budget: as little as possible, but of course, flexible with this many miles needed
Available Travel Dates: completely open
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or earning EQM partners
HKG and CGK are usually good values. Consider premium economy on CX and other partners. You can watch sites like theflightdeal on a daily basis for exceptional fares. Don't forget about the EQD requirement.
LGA-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-ORD-LGA out 10/2 return 10/4 is $812, 21242 miles, similar on other days. Make sure all flights have AA flight numbers.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...LGA0AA307;a=AA
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:40 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by capt787
Hi All,
I need to get to Jordan (Amman) for a wedding on 3rd Sept...im based in the UK but does anyone know the best way getting there either cheap eco or premium air fare (oneworld), I cannot seem to find anything asides from direct out of Heathrow with RJ/BA....
Alitalia has a ~ 492 pound fare but it probably involves leaving Amman at about 4:20 AM. matrix.itasoftware.com is what I usually use for searches.

For example:

Itinerary
London (LHR) to Amman (AMM) — Fri, Sep 1

London (LHR) to Rome (FCO) — Fri, Sep 1
Alitalia 207
Dep: 4:55 pm
Arr: 8:30 pm
2h 35m
Airbus A321
Economy (L)
Snack or Brunch
Layover in FCO
2h 15m

Rome (FCO) to Amman (AMM) — Fri, Sep 1
Alitalia 820
Dep: 10:45 pm
Arr: 3:15 am
3h 30m
Airbus A320
Economy (L)
Cold Meal
Sat, Sep 2
Amman (AMM) to London (LHR) — Mon, Sep 4
Long layover

Amman (AMM) to Rome (FCO) — Mon, Sep 4
Alitalia 821
Dep: 4:20 am
Arr: 7:00 am
3h 40m
Airbus A320
Economy (S)
Continental Breakfast
Layover in FCO
10h 20m

Rome (FCO) to London (LHR) — Mon, Sep 4
Alitalia 208
Dep: 5:20 pm
Arr: 7:10 pm
2h 50m
Airbus A320
Economy (S)
Snack or Brunch
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by capt787
Hi All,
Well, there's the bizarre situation that DUB-LHR-TLV is a lot cheaper than LHR-TLV, at least from what I see on flights.google.com. Tack on a cheap hop to DUB, and there you are.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Mileage run from MIA

Any good suggestion on Mileage run from MIA on Thursday evening to Sat

Airport MIA
Mileage : 8000-9000
Budget : 800-900
International : No
Thursday Evening out for 1 day trip with US
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Any good suggestion on Mileage run from MIA on Thursday evening to Sat

Airport MIA
Mileage : 8000-9000
Budget : 800-900
International : No
Thursday Evening out for 1 day trip with US
You could simply do 2 MIA-LAX RTs, over 4500 miles each. On indirect routes they're available for a little over $300 each. Doing it all in a single day without leaving the US is a different matter.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just got an email for AA Platinum status challenge. I've been DL DM, but would like to use this opportunity for status. I need 12.5k EQDs and $2k spend.

Airport: RSW, TPA, MIA, DAY, CVG, CMH
Mileage: 12.5k
Budget: Need $2k EQD.. Ideally I'd like to spread out the spending.
International: Yes
Thursday/Friday preferred. Flexible with rest.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:18 am

Hi All,
I need to get to Montreal on 11th September and return either Friday night or Saturday night. (London based departure point)...I need to book for work travel in business class - real problem with all the "low cost" airlines (icelanadair/wow) being cheaper than BA!! Does anyone have any trick? I would like to fly with oneworld airlines..
thank you in advance
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by greycap7
Just got an email for AA Platinum status challenge. I've been DL DM, but would like to use this opportunity for status. I need 12.5k EQDs and $2k spend.

Airport: RSW, TPA, MIA, DAY, CVG, CMH
Mileage: 12.5k
Budget: Need $2k EQD.. Ideally I'd like to spread out the spending.
International: Yes
Thursday/Friday preferred. Flexible with rest.
I think you mean that you need 12.5k EQM and $2k EQD, is that right?

What have you found so far?
I looked and found some decent BA PE/WT+ fares out of MCO through LHR into Asia for about $2k.
The nice thing about BA (or other partners), especially in PE is that the EQD are determined by miles, 20%. However, it looks like you'd need at least 4-5 days.

I'd spend some time playing around on Google flights. Set the class at Premium or Biz, the airline at oneworld, and just see what you find. That's how I've been finding decent deals lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.