Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thegurusteve
I am new to the mileage run game and trying to learn from the vet's on the best options. Someone had shared on another post that non AA metal generates better EQM and EQD for flights to Dubai and Asia. So I was looking at options via GF, but wasn't sure of how the flights calculated EQD and EQM's on partners. Did some searching and found the tables and then found the booking codes via ITA Matrix. So learning as I go..

Appreciate the information and time you put in to both looking and responding SpammersAreScum.
"non AA metal generates better EQM and EQD for flights to Dubai and Asia"

Two things:

First, it's not the "metal" ("operating airline") that counts; it's what airline is in the flight number on your ticket ("marketing airline").

Second, flying a partner airline never gets you better EQM than flying in the same fare class on AA, but for some higher classes it is just as good. EQD, on the other hand, is often (but not always*) better. So if you fly a QR-marketed flight from US to Dubai in a premium fare class (as hiima noted) you will earn the same EQM and probably* more EQD. But as hiima also noted, you need to make sure your specific challenge allows you to count QR EQM and EQD, as the standard Gold and Platinum challenges do not (as previously noted).

* Since AA's EQD is fare minus taxes, you would need to look at that to see which is higher.

In any event, this is all moot for now, because flying BOS/MHT/NYC-Doha/Asia for less then the $992 on that specific weekend is extremely unlikely. And definitely not in a premium class.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:58 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by thegurusteve
I am new to the mileage run game and trying to learn from the vet's on the best options. Someone had shared on another post that non AA metal generates better EQM and EQD for flights to Dubai and Asia. So I was looking at options via GF, but wasn't sure of how the flights calculated EQD and EQM's on partners. Did some searching and found the tables and then found the booking codes via ITA Matrix. So learning as I go..

Appreciate the information and time you put in to both looking and responding SpammersAreScum.
Actually, it was RDM's not EQM's that are better on OW partners. And, as SRS mentioned above, flight number is the important factor, so no AA codeshares. Stay away from booking on aa.com also as there can be some issues on AA ticket stock.

Looking for the BIS mileage, use Great Circle Mapper:
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=sfo-jfk&...DM=&SG=&SU=mph

Make sure it's set for "statute miles" rather than "nautical miles/."
Old May 14, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get BA Silver (600TP) out of SEA preferably (though I can position to other West Coast airports provided the deal is interesting). If I can stay within the US it'd also be better.

Budget <$1500, my dates are June 9th-20th, hopefully someone can come up with a short trip.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by redadeco
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get BA Silver (600TP) out of SEA preferably (though I can position to other West Coast airports provided the deal is interesting). If I can stay within the US it'd also be better.

Budget <$1500, my dates are June 9th-20th, hopefully someone can come up with a short trip.

Thanks
You'll probably find the BA TP Run thread an excellent resource for that question.

But I'm not sure your goal is practical. A single trans-continental round trip is only going to get you 280 in Business, even. Right now, just 1 LAX-JFK in Business costs $1500.

Or maybe a 5-segment loop in Business, earning 140 per segment? That might be doable for under $1500, but it'll take a lot of fiddling to find, I suspect.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You'll probably find the BA TP Run thread an excellent resource for that question.

But I'm not sure your goal is practical. A single trans-continental round trip is only going to get you 280 in Business, even. Right now, just 1 LAX-JFK in Business costs $1500.

Or maybe a 5-segment loop in Business, earning 140 per segment? That might be doable for under $1500, but it'll take a lot of fiddling to find, I suspect.
All good deals on AA domestic F exclude Premium transcons, usually I had no problem getting BA Silver in one run either purely domestic or with a short hop (PiTY that PTY is no longer as attractive as it used to be).

This year is different since AA decided to downgrade its F class to I and J classes (except on premium transcons) which earn only 140TPs instead of 210.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:06 pm

AA Challenges

Is there a specific site or link I can peruse to learn more about "Challenges" -- their requirements and benefits. I am a basic AA member planning to fly in J from TPA-DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-AUK-LAX-DFW-TPA in 6 months. The accumulated miles is around 21K. Will fulfilling a challenge get me to the next level for next year? Again, I'm just not familiar with what a Challenge is all about but eager to find out. Thanks for any input from all of you.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by XFed2001
Is there a specific site or link I can peruse to learn more about "Challenges" -- their requirements and benefits. I am a basic AA member planning to fly in J from TPA-DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-AUK-LAX-DFW-TPA in 6 months. The accumulated miles is around 21K. Will fulfilling a challenge get me to the next level for next year? Again, I'm just not familiar with what a Challenge is all about but eager to find out. Thanks for any input from all of you.
Your best resource for the details on Challenges would be the "HELP DESK & FAQ: NEW 2017 Gold and Platinum status Challenge" thread.

I suspect you meant AKL (Aukland), not AUK (in Alaska). With that correction, the total real mileage appears to be over 20k. If you're flying in Business class, that means you're earning over 30k EQM, which is enough to earn Gold without a Challenge, and certainly way more than needed for a Platinum Challenge. But keep in mind that only EQM earned on AA/BA/IB counts toward a Challenge, so make sure your flights are not CX/JL/QF-marketed. There is also an EQD requirement for a Challenge, but business class to AKL should top the $2k required.

In fact, depending on what other travel you have planned, 30k EQM and 5-6k EQMEQD may be enough that your other trips get you to Plat without the Challenge.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; May 21, 2017 at 8:58 pm Reason: typo
Old May 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Your best resource for the details on Challenges would be the "HELP DESK & FAQ: NEW 2017 Gold and Platinum status Challenge" thread.

I suspect you meant AKL (Aukland), not AUK (in Alaska). With that correction, the total real mileage appears to be over 20k. If you're flying in Business class, that means you're earning over 30k EQM, which is enough to earn Gold without a Challenge, and certainly way more than needed for a Platinum Challenge. But keep in mind that only EQM earned on AA/BA/IB counts toward a Challenge, so make sure your flights are not CX/JL/QF-marketed. There is also an EQD requirement for a Challenge, but business class to AKL should top the $2k required

In fact, depending on what other travel you have planned, 30k EQM and 5-6k EQM may be enough that your other trips get you to Plat without the Challenge.
SpammersAreScum: Thank you for taking the time to help me with understanding what will help me in attaining either Gold/Plat levels as I have no status right now. My travels will occur in Oct-Dec 2017. The routings re AUS/NZ are all booked in discount J (Booking I/D class) which I presume to mean that I get 2.0 the actual miles for EQM purposes; my EQD is over $6000. Actual AA BIS miles this year will not get me to Gold via the normal way. I think that going the Plat challenge route, I will be able to be able to secure Plat benefits during 2018 and if correct, drop to Gold in 2019 when I fail to maintain Plat level with the required mileage. Does this sound right to you? Again, thank you so much for helping me understand ....
Old May 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

SpammersAreScum: Thank you for taking the time to help me with understanding what will help me in attaining either Gold/Plat levels as I have no status right now. My travels will occur in Oct-Dec 2017. The routings re AUS/NZ are all booked in discount J (Booking I/D class) which I presume to mean that I get 2.0 the actual miles for EQM purposes; my EQD is over $6000. Actual AA BIS miles this year will not get me to Gold via the normal way. I think that going the Plat challenge route, I will be able to be able to secure Plat benefits during 2018 and if correct, drop to Gold in 2019 when I fail to maintain Plat level with the required mileage. Does this sound right to you? Again, thank you so much for helping me understand ....
For flights that are AA-marketed ("AA" is what appears in the flight number on your ticket), discount business is indeed 2x EQM. TPA-DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-AKL-LAX-DFW-TPA is 20,536 BiS miles. So that would be over 41k EQM if all AA.

Since EQM, not BiS miles, is what counts for status, that is well over what you need for Gold and 9k short of Platinum. And it appears your EQD will also be more than enough for Gold and close to the Platinum requirement. (But don't forget that the taxes included in your total payment don't count toward EQD.)

And, yes, those numbers will be well over what's required for a Platinum Challenge.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:40 am

For flights that are AA-marketed ("AA" is what appears in the flight number on your ticket), discount business is indeed 2x EQM. TPA-DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD-AKL-LAX-DFW-TPA is 20,536 BiS miles. So that would be over 41k EQM if all AA.

Since EQM, not BiS miles, is what counts for status, that is well over what you need for Gold and 9k short of Platinum. And it appears your EQD will also be more than enough for Gold and close to the Platinum requirement. (But don't forget that the taxes included in your total payment don't count toward EQD.)

And, yes, those numbers will be well over what's required for a Platinum Challenge.
I just checked my travel itinerary. I used CheapoAir and see that they are all Qantas flights operated by AA. I suspect that consequently my EQMs will now be a whole lot less, right? Therefore, the best I can do is go for the Gold challenge. As an aside, I was thinking of paying for the bump to the Gold while on the challenge to take advantage of the long haul miles. Your thoughts on this straegy please. Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:39 am

I just checked my travel itinerary. I used CheapoAir and see that they are all Qantas flights operated by AA. I suspect that consequently my EQMs will now be a whole lot less, right? Therefore, the best I can do is go for the Gold challenge. As an aside, I was thinking of paying for the bump to the Gold while on the challenge to take advantage of the long haul miles. Your thoughts on this straegy please. Thanks again.
Then we're back to my original response: QF in Business (discount or full) earns 1.5x EQM and 25% EQD; for that route that means 30k and 5k, which is plenty for a Platinum Challenge.

Please avail yourself of the Challenge thread I linked to earlier, and the partner earning tables such as the one I linked to here.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:47 pm

Then we're back to my original response: QF in Business (discount or full) earns 1.5x EQM and 25% EQD; for that route that means 30k and 5k, which is plenty for a Platinum Challenge.

Please avail yourself of the Challenge thread I linked to earlier, and the partner earning tables such as the one I linked to here.
Thanks you for assistance. I shall register for the Plat challenger sometime after June 16 but definitely prior to commencing my trip in mid-Oct. Have a great summer in Tampa. Btw, I spend about 6 months of the year in Clearwater and the other half in Ontario, Canada. Stay cool and thanks again!
Old May 24, 2017, 11:39 am

Just curious: does anyone know how to use Citi TY points to book CX PE seats?
Old May 24, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by evotion
Just curious: does anyone know how to use Citi TY points to book CX PE seats?
Interesting. It doesn't look like you can specify PE on the website. I guess you'll have to call.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Interesting. It doesn't look like you can specify PE on the website. I guess you'll have to call.
I'm just waiting to find a good CX fare. Got any ideas SAS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.