Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by aztimm
I think you mean that you need 12.5k EQM and $2k EQD, is that right?

What have you found so far?
I looked and found some decent BA PE/WT+ fares out of MCO through LHR into Asia for about $2k.
The nice thing about BA (or other partners), especially in PE is that the EQD are determined by miles, 20%. However, it looks like you'd need at least 4-5 days.

I'd spend some time playing around on Google flights. Set the class at Premium or Biz, the airline at oneworld, and just see what you find. That's how I've been finding decent deals lately.
That's correct - 12.5k EQM and $2k EQD. So wait let me get this straight... (and bear with me, I'm a Delta person).

I found a cheap fare from YYZ to AUH via LHR in PE on BA for $1782 USD. I calculated that this is 13940 miles round trip. So 20% of that is 2788? Does that mean I would get $2788 in EQDs? And could this deal be sweetened with the AARP discounts?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by greycap7
That's correct - 12.5k EQM and $2k EQD. So wait let me get this straight... (and bear with me, I'm a Delta person).

I found a cheap fare from YYZ to AUH via LHR in PE on BA for $1782 USD. I calculated that this is 13940 miles round trip. So 20% of that is 2788? Does that mean I would get $2788 in EQDs? And could this deal be sweetened with the AARP discounts?
You're exactly right. Check out the chart on this page:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

It could be 22%, if you bought a full-fare BA PE, but that is doubtful. I'm sure that you have one that will give you 20%.

I'm doing a mini-vacation to AUS-DEL in September, my fare was about $1800. The trip will net me about 18k butt-in-seat miles, or $3600 EQD, over the amount needed for a whole status level. Plus 27k EQM, again over the amount needed for a whole status level.
Let me know if you're interested and I can share details.

And glad you know about the AARP discount
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by aztimm
You're exactly right. Check out the chart on this page:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

It could be 22%, if you bought a full-fare BA PE, but that is doubtful. I'm sure that you have one that will give you 20%.

I'm doing a mini-vacation to AUS-DEL in September, my fare was about $1800. The trip will net me about 18k butt-in-seat miles, or $3600 EQD, over the amount needed for a whole status level. Plus 27k EQM, again over the amount needed for a whole status level.
Let me know if you're interested and I can share details.

And glad you know about the AARP discount
Let me PM you when I get home.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:33 am

3 return flights for Gold from Madrid

Hola todos! I´m missing out on 3 return flights to make OW Gold based out of Madrid. I have until the end of July to rack up the flights. There is some nicely priced flights between MAD-BCN-MAD on weekends with Iberia (77 € with same day return), however wondering if there is some good deals on multisegment flights that I could gather up the flights even in one day. Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hertz
Plat Pro Challenge Run

Hi All,

Hoping to do a platinum pro challenge, or a platinum challenge as I'm just starting flying for work. Looking for potential mileage runs
Departure Airport: DFW or IAH or AUS
Miles Needed:~10k
Required Spend or Budget: ~500-600
Available Travel Dates: 7/1-7/5, 7/7-7/9, 8/7-8/9, and any other weekends in August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Unsure, new to this.

Thank you for any suggestions.

BEM
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:11 pm

Looking to burn some Citi TY points if there's any TY pros in here.

Flying American would be best since I still get the 1.6 redemption value.

Originating from LAX and open to going anywhere on same day or next day turn. I've got about 75k TY points and happy to supplement another 6-700 on top in Business/first.

Anyone know of anything?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: QR, A3
Any suggestions on J-class mileage runs out of South/Southeast SE Asia, long haul, departing first week of August? Departing CMB, CGK,HKG, KUL, HKT or BKK. On a OW airline... Don't care where I go, but the longer the better!

I picked up a great CMB - JNB on Qatar Business last year for <$800, something similar would be amazing (although likely a fantasy.......)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 am

Greetings all,

I've been given a challenge opportunity to get to Platinum - three months to get 12,500 miles, along with $2,000 EQDs. I'm sure I'll have a flight or two for work, but want to try and get this out of the way ASAP.

Departure Airport: CLT
Miles Needed: 10,000 - 12,500
Required Spend or Budget:$1,000
Available Travel Dates: July 24 - October 24
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:AA or any Oneworld, although I'd like to take advantage of the Premium Economy EQM and EQD benefit on a partner like BA, Quantas or Iberia.

I've found some decent routes to Alaska and back that get me to 7,600 - 8,000, but I'm really hoping to find an international where I can leverage premium economy to fly 10,000 miles and get the EQDs handled on one trip. All help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Well, there's the bizarre situation that DUB-LHR-TLV is a lot cheaper than LHR-TLV, at least from what I see on flights.google.com. Tack on a cheap hop to DUB, and there you are.
Or just don't do the DUB to LHR sector...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by greycap7

Usually, challenges must be flown on AA metal or codeshare flights. Can anyone confirm if that has changed?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Or just don't do the DUB to LHR sector...
That would be the first segment on the ticket. Skip that and the rest get cancelled. Not a good idea.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Usually, challenges must be flown on AA metal or codeshare flights. Can anyone confirm if that has changed?
The standard challenges require AA or one of its JV partners; see the wiki for such challenges. But it sounds like OP was offered something special, in which case the specifics of that offer need to be carefully scrutinized.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
That would be the first segment on the ticket. Skip that and the rest get cancelled. Not a good idea.
Not if you've checked in for all segments. On more than one occasion I've driven to DFW rather than flying a booked segment from AMA, SAT, and LBB. Maybe international is different?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Not if you've checked in for all segments. On more than one occasion I've driven to DFW rather than flying a booked segment from AMA, SAT, and LBB. Maybe international is different?
This is terrible advice and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
This is terrible advice and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it.
LOL! It wasn't so much advice, as it was pointing out an option with evidence that it can be viable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.