Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by no2chem
totally dead, fares were unloaded, I'm very sad.

note to self: pull trigger first, find perfect routing later. always have 24h cancellations.

I found the perfect routing via SWISS that earns 200% on A3, only to have priceline tell me fare not available since I pulled trigger at 8:55AM Pacific...

thanks to op again, though.
That's a good rule of thumb! Book first - decide later
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold
Definitely nice while it lasted!!

BF seat map is completely full for IAD-FCO on 7/3 now. Was mostly empty yesterday. Guessing a lot of us may be on that segment.

Nice that the ticket can still be changed with the 24 hr rule under the same pricing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the fuel dump were explicitly mentioned here, it would have helped get the price down into the $980-$1100 range roundtrip total, if not even marginally better than that.

Use of some international overseas extra segments helped with that, but those weren't the only routes that could be used as a third sector/segment to help drive down the price to well below $1400 roundtrip.

I'm not going to go into the merits and demerits of discussing FD in fleeting published fare deals posted on FT, but the airlines aren't as eager in killing FDs as in adjusting fares directly.
Agreed. But I increasingly find that people won't share ANY of their tricks on Flyertalk because of shut down fears -- a not unwarranted fear.

That said, in this case, if I had a simple trick, I would have shared. Good karma, and it would have saved a lot of folks some good money. There obviously wasn't enough time for a typical Flyertalker to "figure this out" by themselves in the amount of time they had.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTstudent
....Nice that the ticket can still be changed with the 24 hr rule under the same pricing.
Tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours. But can you change it if fare no longer exists?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska Air
Big thanks to the OP!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours. But can you change it if fare no longer exists?
I believe you would have to pay the difference in fare.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:00 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
For once I am actually relieved that the fare has been pulled before I could decide. Little voices in my head were whispering crazy things like "it's no big deal to position to HNL from YYZ, just do it..."

It's a fantastic deal, so congrats to everyone who got in on it.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
But can you change it if fare no longer exists?
Lol. I've changed my originally confirmed ATL-FCO ticket about 3 times so far. I'm deciding on whether to push the return out one day. The change fee (<24 hr) is $0, so it's nice that it isn't repricing changes at today's fare.

Definitely was good to just buy the ticket and then change the heck out of it, giving me a chance to look at planes, and ditching all my positioning flights.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
Agreed. But I increasingly find that people won't share ANY of their tricks on Flyertalk because of shut down fears -- a not unwarranted fear.

That said, in this case, if I had a simple trick, I would have shared. Good karma, and it would have saved a lot of folks some good money. There obviously wasn't enough time for a typical Flyertalker to "figure this out" by themselves in the amount of time they had.
I'd even go as far as to say there's no point in sharing simple tricks on here.. everything that gets posted on here is free fodder for blogs.. If you don't mind sharing a one-time trick with no particular value to you, then sure.

What would be infinitely more helpful is if people simply stated:
a) Whether or not a fare can be successfully tricked
b) Method (1x, 3x, OJ/DOJ, etc)
c) Resulting fare range, post-dump

No need for hints or vague suggestions. Just post everything or say nothing.
It would be a huge time-saver if I didn't try to trick fares that were un-trickable.. or fares with nonsensical 1x segments.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Possible explanation-

What we saw might have been a "mistake" airfare on Delta that triggered an automatic match through UA computers. Somehow it got in underneath the threshold level that kicks it back for human intervention. As I understand it, DL pulled the "sale" early on, but it took "humans" at UA a bit of time to unravel the damage.

Why would an airline have automated fare-matching mechanisms? Consider it a "doomsday" machine. If DL knows that UA will instantly match whatever they do, it takes the wind of out their sails when they have a sale. It keeps your competitor from doing something to steal your customers because they know you'll instantly react.

Because this was about half normal price for cheap biz fares, not 25% or something completely unbelievable, the computers matched it.

Totally theory based on no facts whatsoever.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Apr 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL Plat/2MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil.
Originally Posted by FTstudent
Nice that the ticket can still be changed with the 24 hr rule under the same pricing.
Interesting; I didn't know this was possible. I can select a different itinerary (same dates/origin/destination) at no cost in the same (P) class, or coach (W) class for $273 more.

Even more interesting -- I can select a different destination for only the original fare difference (in my case, NCE instead of FCO, which is $62 more). Still in P class.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
What we saw might have been a "mistake" airfare on Delta that triggered an automatic match through UA computers. Somehow it got in underneath the trigger level that kicks it back for human intervention. As I understand it, DL pulled the "sale" early on, but it took "humans" at UA a bit of time to unravel the damage.
I like this theory, even though it's speculation. One clarification though -- it was actually all of the European Star Alliance. I saw the same $500 r/t base fare filed by AC, LH, LX, UA, OS, and SN.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well this has been quite a productive week. Got tickets in business class to EZE over thanksgiving for $1650, to Rio for Carnival for $2200 both on AA and then booked a labor day trip to NCE on Swiss for $1550. Just wanted to thank everyone here posts their findings! Hopefully I can find a deal at some point to contribute.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by mdobbins
I would like to sincerely thank 355F1 for the original post in this thread. For once, I was able to get in on what appears to be the deal of the summer!
You're welcome! That's the purpose of this forum! ^^
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:51 am

link

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Well this has been quite a productive week. Got tickets in business class to EZE over thanksgiving for $1650, to Rio for Carnival for $2200 both on AA and then booked a labor day trip to NCE on Swiss for $1550. Just wanted to thank everyone here posts their findings! Hopefully I can find a deal at some point to contribute.
can you send me link to EZE deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.