Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mdobbins
What is the "other thread"?
The poster may not realize that these are C (not Y) fares that we're discussing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by iahphx
As I was helping a friend book a ticket on united.com at around 11:30 am EDT, it died (from multiple USA origin cities). But I quickly switched to Orbitz and got the ticket issued (they did earn a small number of "Orbucks" that way, too). As it's now after 12 noon EDT, I'm not sure if the fare is still available through the online travel agencies, but if you want one, I'd book ASAP -- literally.
not ticketing , but still showing on orbitz.. won't allow click through
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
The poster may not realize that these are C (not Y) fares that we're discussing.
Na, it's the Fuel Dumps he's referring to. Shaves of a substantial part of YQ.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Seems like we are getting short, targeted skirmishes in the airfare wars...would rather see a long, prolonged battle for those of us cheapskates! ..or maybe that's just modern warfare!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Please elaborate. PQD-related? I'm exempt.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Please elaborate. PQD-related? I'm exempt.
The FD'd ticket will not count towards PQD. I'm pretty sure about that.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
not ticketing , but still showing on orbitz.. won't allow click through
same here.....all dead..good thing I booked my four for 1K last night, late.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Oh - THAT thread. I need the YQ for PQD anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:29 am

About 6 months ago I told myself that I would check the MR forum every morning when I woke up, each day at lunch, and each evening. I find myself checking it every 3 hours or if I'm ever on a phone call and don't have anything better to do. The fare sale yesterday is another reason I can show Mrs. Uthornsgo that I'm not totally crazy. She wasn't complaining about me being on FT last night when I booked two tickets to Rome in biz and told her we weren't having to fly all over the world or using miles to get there. Thank you all!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdobbins
Oh - THAT thread. I need the YQ for PQD anyway.
Yeah, but good luck getting somebody over there to immediately give you the right throw-away city pairs to get rid of this particular YQ in the few hours the deal was alive.

It obviously would have been nice to have someone post those cities, but it's not realistic.

In my case, I was helping friends, and there's no way I'd book a friend on a tricked fare -- too risky.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by patchan8984
doesnt matter as this far is dead...also understood that FD'ing stays in the other thread.
If the fuel dump were explicitly mentioned here, it would have helped get the price down into the $980-$1100 range roundtrip total, if not even marginally better than that.

Use of some international overseas extra segments helped with that, but those weren't the only routes that could be used as a third sector/segment to help drive down the price to well below $1400 roundtrip.

I'm not going to go into the merits and demerits of discussing FD in fleeting published fare deals posted on FT, but the airlines aren't as eager in killing FDs as in adjusting fares directly.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I would like to sincerely thank 355F1 for the original post in this thread. For once, I was able to get in on what appears to be the deal of the summer!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:42 am

Arggggh! I've been checking daily for months for good fares from US to Europe for July but not yesterday. Is everything dead? I"ve just tried multiple cities combos and can't find anything.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by jkenn
Arggggh! I've been checking daily for months for good fares from US to Europe for July but not yesterday. Is everything dead? I"ve just tried multiple cities combos and can't find anything.
totally dead, fares were unloaded, I'm very sad.

note to self: pull trigger first, find perfect routing later. always have 24h cancellations.

I found the perfect routing via SWISS that earns 200% on A3, only to have priceline tell me fare not available since I pulled trigger at 8:55AM Pacific...

thanks to op again, though.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Alaska Air
Any website still working? The fare comes up on google flights, but I can't get it to book anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.