Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roastpuff
That's quite the itinerary. Okay, I don't blame you for canceling - I'd be way too tired.

I have a Korea trip (YVR-SEA-ICN-SEA-YVR) in the middle of November, approximately 2 weeks before the EY flight, but it's only for 5 days. However, it's in Y, so I'll appreciate my F flight even more.
That's why we decided to cancel it. Also, not able to change the dates before departure is a real pain. Plus, should that we were allowed to change after the first leg, it is still a lot of uncertainty to put up with.

I look forward to hear others experience after the flights.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyroner
Tried adding domestic stopover by:
a) though the UA club after departure.
b) calling after departure

Did not try the site for NRT stop over as my original flight was SFO-ICN and not sure if that could be done by the website. Anyhow, I was happier in Korea.

Also as an FYI - the domestic legs credit for RDM @ 1.75x flight miles as expected.
Thanks for reporting, tyroner!

I'd be interested to change the last SFO-BOS leg to SFO-LAX/IAD/ORD-BOS, within 24hrs of arrival from ICN in SFO, e.g. no stopover.
I am planning to do that after having flown the first BOS-SFO leg, or upon returning into SFO at the latest.
Did you/anybody have luck in doing that?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for reporting, tyroner!

I'd be interested to change the last SFO-BOS leg to SFO-LAX/IAD/ORD-BOS, within 24hrs of arrival from ICN in SFO, e.g. no stopover.
I am planning to do that after having flown the first BOS-SFO leg, or upon returning into SFO at the latest.
Did you/anybody have luck in doing that?
I did have some success with SDC. I actually added a layover in SFO and routed SFO-IAH-BOS. SDC seems not to be a problem.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyroner
I did have some success with SDC. I actually added a layover in SFO and routed SFO-IAH-BOS. SDC seems not to be a problem.
So, did you :

1) change a SFO-BOS segment to SFO-IAD-BOS

AND

2) add a layover e.g. meaning a layover of 24+hrs = stopover.

.... just trying to understand ......
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
So, did you :

1) change a SFO-BOS segment to SFO-IAD-BOS

AND

2) add a layover e.g. meaning a layover of 24+hrs = stopover.

.... just trying to understand ......
No reason to expect that SDC wouldn't work. IAD (and just about all other hubs) are valid connections between SFO and BOS.

And it's easy enough to create <24 overnight connections using SDC.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
DELETED

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:03 pm Reason: UA does operate that day SFOHND
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
No reason to expect that SDC wouldn't work. IAD (and just about all other hubs) are valid connections between SFO and BOS.

Indeed, I went via IAH and added in an overnight to a friend. I will add though, if you try doing this by phone and the stop is more than 4 hours you may encounter resistance.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by hobo13

United's "Change Flights" functionality worked fine for us: moved return by a couple of days, plus added an overnight stay in Chicago: 7pm arrival, 6am departure.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
United's "Change Flights" functionality worked fine for us: moved return by a couple of days, plus added an overnight stay in Chicago: 7pm arrival, 6am departure.
You can easily change the return flight to a large number of Mon-Thur flights via the change flights option in manage my boookings, but no one has been able to make a stopover > 24 hours so far apart from using a mistaken agent.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ktkw
You can easily change the return flight to a large number of Mon-Thur flights via the change flights option in manage my boookings, but no one has been able to make a stopover > 24 hours so far apart from using a mistaken agent.
Not surprising, since the fare doesn't allow it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Another batch dismissed:

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/285-c-a-2014
Decision No. 285-C-A-2014
COMPLAINTS by Ivan Lee, Andrew Chi-Tai Lyu, Erik Bergsland, and Klaus Vogel against Swiss International Air Lines Ltd. also carrying on business as Swiss regarding the cancellation of tickets for travel from Yangon, Myanmar to Montréal, Quebec, Canada.

[...]

[8] The Agency notes that none of the complainants responded to the show cause direction. The evidence available to the Agency shows that none of the complainants raised the mistake with the carrier and they intended to benefit from it. Therefore, consistent with the Agency’s finding in the Decision, the Agency finds that the complainants knew or ought to have known that the fares were a mistake. As such, the Agency finds that no valid contract was entered into between Swiss and each of the complainants as there was no meeting of the minds.

CONCLUSION

[9] In light of the above, the Agency dismisses the complaints.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:39 am

o.o...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by yerffej201
o.o...
What is the word you are trying to spell ?

M.r.nx2 ?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:00 pm

Iberia/China Southern decision

I just happened upon this decision issued yesterday:

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/290-c-a-2014

In summary, the claims of 5 travelers against IB for cancelling TATL segments have been dismissed for lack of a valid contract. The CTA decided it had jurisdiction for the complaints even when the flights concerned were BA codeshares from London to the US because the journey ultimately ended in Canada (see [15] and [16] of the decision).

Better news for the complainant who filed against CZ for a downgrade. It continues because:

[49] The Agency has reviewed China Southern’s international tariff on file with the Agency, and notes that the tariff did not include provisions allowing China Southern to downgrade service or provide a refund based on erroneously quoted fares. On the other hand, the Agency notes that the refund was not provided and the ticket is still “open for use”.

[50] In light of the above, the Agency is of the preliminary opinion that China Southern has contravened subsection 110(4) of the ATR in applying terms and conditions that do not appear in its tariff.
CZ has until 11 August to file its response to the CTA.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Loved these sections:

[18] Iberia states that on September 27, 2012, when the erroneous fares were displayed on the Internet, blogs entitled “Mistake Fares – One Way First Class Originating Myanmar is Back!” and “[FARE GONE] RGN First Class comes back again” were posted on social media sites such as Boarding Area and FlyerTalk which broadcasted unbelievably low and erroneous fares for one-way travel from Yangon to Montréal. Iberia argues that the only way that the complainants could have become aware of the erroneous fares would be from reading the Internet flyer blogs, and that the complainants would have needed to follow specific instructions found on the blogs to book the travel.

[22] One complainant points out that there is no readily accessible provision in Iberia’s tariff that states that a passenger is responsible for, or should bear the consequences of, any alleged errors. The complainant argues that if a carrier believes that any entity such as ATPCo has acted in error in any way, it should pursue legal recourse of financial liability against that entity. The complainant adds that carriers, in the ordinary course of business, voluntarily assume risks resulting from their business activities, and that if a carrier does not receive proceeds in its functional currency, then this is the result of its own faulty business practices. According to the complainant, it is not reasonable nor in the public interest that passengers must bear the disproportionate burden of the unilateral cancellation of carrier tickets.

[23] With respect to the flyer blog postings, two of the complainants claim to have read the blogs regarding the contested fares, one complainant states that he read the blogs after the tickets were cancelled but searched Travelocity.com after learning of the fares on social media, and three complainants deny reading the blogs. One complainant states that he received a message from a friend advising him that the fares were available, while another complainant states that he was planning a trip to Yangon in relation to a wedding taking palace in Thailand, and was visiting relatives in Montréal. A number of complainants claim that they did not use any complicated search methods to reserve the tickets or use the information in the blogs to book the travel. One complainant states that he was advised of the return of the fares by a friend and used the Internet to search for additional information, which did include some blogs.

[24] The complainants submit that blog discussions are speculative and there is no evidence to support Iberia’s claims regarding the blogs. One complainant suggests that there were no posts and/or advice from travel agencies regarding whether the fares were an error. Another complainant contends that Iberia’s attempt to impute knowledge based on the blogs is problematic given that the titles of the posts indicate that this was not the first time that fares originating in Myanmar had been offered for sale. According to that complainant, stating that a fare “is back” or has “come back again” leaves the impression that that area is subject to an ongoing periodic sale or part of a target market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.