Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Are we still going through this
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No question that it's a slippery slope. How about the sign on the new Mercedes which says $125.000, using a period instead of a comma?
my 2 cents for what it is worth.

The difference is that there was already an exchange of $$ w.r.t to the tickets via online sales.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Are we still going through this
apparently... and the same people. and same pisspoor arguments... come on jealous people who did not manage to secure a ticket...move on.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
No question that it's a slippery slope. How about the sign on the new Mercedes which says $125.000, using a period instead of a comma?
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
The difference is that there was already an exchange of $$ w.r.t to the tickets via online sales.
OK, let's make them comparable. You've already paid for the ticket but not yet received what you bought (the flight). Suppose that you paid the entire $125 for the Mercedes. You saw the sign on the car and mailed the dealer a certified check (or other cash equivalent) for $125. You haven't picked up the car yet. Are you entitled to enforce the contract at $125?

Originally Posted by mkjr
apparently... and the same people. and same pisspoor arguments... come on jealous people who did not manage to secure a ticket...move on.
No need to call my argument "piss poor" because you see it differently. I see it differently from the way that you do; but I don't belittle your position. Sometimes people just disagree. Disagreeing with you does not mean that I must be wrong.

Oh, and jealous? Not at all. I couldn't make this one work due to my schedule; but I did get in on the QR mistake fare a few months ago (with six roundtrips) as well as an earlier ex-CMB mistake fare.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:32 am

OK, let's make them comparable. You've already paid for the ticket but not yet received what you bought (the flight). Suppose that you paid the entire $125 for the Mercedes. You saw the sign on the car and mailed the dealer a certified check (or other cash equivalent) for $125. Are you entitled to enforce the contract at $125?
If they were selling the car online for $125 and the transaction went through similar to the plane ticket, I would say so. Swiss/Airlines decide to use whatever online system to sell us the ticket - they should bare the consequence of any mistake on their end.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they were selling the car online for $125 and the transaction went through similar to the plane ticket, I would say so. Swiss/Airlines decide to use whatever online system to sell us the ticket - they should bare the consequence of any mistake on their end.
Interesting. In the U.S., the law doesn't agree. Unilateral mistakes can be remedied. The problem in the U.S. is that DOT has supplanted the law of mistake in a number of situations, thus greatly clouding the issue.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
OK, let's make them comparable. You've already paid for the ticket but not yet received what you bought (the flight).
Not looking to get into this argument...just a clarifying question. When you purchase a fare, you buy a ticket. In ye olde days, that was a piece of paper. now it's an e-ticket code that's emailed to you. We received those e-tickets. So didn't we already receive the item we purchased?

What about people who were downgraded mid-trip. They not only received the e-ticket, they used two flight segments of that ticket. If you drive off the used car lot, you get both halves of the car even if you're only sitting in the driver's seat.

I think the question of these tickets was complicated. And through the process, we have learned the positions of multiple players: Swiss, the DoT, CTA, and the flying public. We can keep those positions in mind should future opportunities arise.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by groobie
Not looking to get into this argument...just a clarifying question. When you purchase a fare, you buy a ticket. In ye olde days, that was a piece of paper. now it's an e-ticket code that's emailed to you. We received those e-tickets. So didn't we already receive the item we purchased?

What about people who were downgraded mid-trip. They not only received the e-ticket, they used two flight segments of that ticket. If you drive off the used car lot, you get both halves of the car even if you're only sitting in the driver's seat.

I think the question of these tickets was complicated. And through the process, we have learned the positions of multiple players: Swiss, the DoT, CTA, and the flying public. We can keep those positions in mind should future opportunities arise.
I like your car analogy. I see our tickets (esp those who actually flew part of the trip already) as akin to already going to the dealership and driving off with the car.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

I think it's a complicated question.
with the receipt of the ticket you haven't really received anything except an acknowledgement of payment, and a reservation on a future flight. It's not the same as a car which you physically takes possession of at the time. (But even with possession, an aggrieved party can still take you to court to get that back if they have grounds.)

it's not really a complicated issue. The CTA clearly outlines their reasoning. The main complication comes from some people not wanting to accept what is pretty much standard contract law.

Even the DOT seems to be having a hard time reconciling its consumer protections with the case of certain mistake fares (especially in the case of 'bad actors').

Some say airlines must be forced to honour a mistake... but don't have an argument as to why they hold that opinion. The argument by some appears to border on the willingness to inflict loss on another party. For what reason?

In the case of the RGN F fares, many passengers with cancelled tickets suffered no loss. Those that did lose pre-paid accommodation or positioning flights could have avoided those losses by calling the airline to confirm the validity of their fares. But many didn't want to.

The issue of the passengers who flew part way is also not unsurprising. It was raised some time ago that just because one airline is happy to carry you for whatever reason, it doesn't automatically mean the next will.

However, undoubtedly there will be lawyers who can come up with arguments to counter some of the points raised above.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like your car analogy. I see our tickets (esp those who actually flew part of the trip already) as akin to already going to the dealership and driving off with the car.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
... with the receipt of the ticket you haven't really received anything except an acknowledgement of payment, and a reservation on a future flight. It's not the same as a car which you physically takes possession of at the time.
Interesting. Actually, I think that both views have validity. I was only looking as far as having made payment.

But now that I think about it, it seems to me that when you have paid for the car but you don't have it yet (they're still prepping it for delivery), you're at the same point in the transaction as when you've paid for the flight and have the ticket but haven't flown yet (regardless of whether your ticket is an eticket or a paper ticket).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:00 am

with the receipt of the ticket you haven't really received anything except an acknowledgement of payment, and a reservation on a future flight.
Except if you drove that car halfway round the world till the Swiss boarder, where they explained that due to their shareholder obligations, they take away your car and give you a moped as a goodwill gesture.

Some say airlines must be forced to honour a mistake... but don't have an argument as to why they hold that opinion. The argument by some appears to border on the willingness to inflict loss on another party. For what reason?
Because the passenger has to honor a mistake he/she made. The unequal balance of power has been mentioned many times over.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
Because the passenger has to honor a mistake he/she made. The unequal balance of power has been mentioned many times over.
And, as I've said many times over, the situations aren't comparable. When the airline makes a mistake, we know that it's a mistake. That is, of course, why we post about it and discuss it here. When we make a mistake (buy a ticket for the wrong day or to the wrong city), the airline not only doesn't actually know, but would have no way of knowing.

It seems to me that what the government (DOT, CTA, etc.) is trying to protect against is someone who knows that the other party has made a mistake taking advantage of it when the other party doesn't realize that he/she/it has made a mistake.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Please. Putting aside arguments we make to various authorities and trying to stick to actual reality, did anyone here really have no idea that it was a mistake due to currency devaluation? That's what I thought. We all knew, and we're trying to take advantage of the situation. No problem there; but let's at least be honest with ourselves.
The first time the fare came up, I wondered if it was a mistake, especially in light of the currency devaluation about a month prior.

The second time it came up, I knew that previous fares at this rate had been honored. I also had become (due to research on the country) aware the RGN had recently been opened up from international sanctions and was trying to build a tourism economy. I thought perhaps RGN was simply one of those cities, that for some reason, seem to crop up with really great premium fares on a regular basis (like CMB, or BCN, or the Caribbean).

By the time Round 3 came up, I had already flown on some of the Round 1 tickets. I had absolutely no reason to think there was still an issue with a currency fluctuation that had occurred 6 months ago that was causing a 'mistake', not to mention that Round 3 cost significantly more (for a one-way in Round 3, I paid 3-4x what I paid for round trips during the 'Round 2' Delta sales).

Aside from that all, apparently internal documents show that IATA explicitly warned all the carriers that RGN-YUL was questionable and needed to be manually reviewed. So, if anything, I view Round 3 as more negligence than a mistake.

<shrug>
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, Marritt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Grafton001
Thanks for this great find. Booked BRU-LHR-JFK-LAX-JFK-LHR-HEL-BUD for GBP 1,166.03 Easter 2015 with stops at JFK and HEL j-i-i-i-i-i-i. Earns 720 TPs on BA.
Who is this booked through?

Priced it out but couldn't get the fare with the JFK connection...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Last edited by jbalmuth; Jun 7, 2014 at 7:40 am Reason: dup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.