Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021
Don't be so sure about that; like any prosecutor, the DOT enforcement has enforcement discretion: cops don't have to arrest every pot-smoker they see, and the DOT doesn't have to fine for every violation that comes across it's path. Especially ones like this.

As far as other lawyers going after them, well, the apparently the DOT says that what the TA/airline did was wrong by not honoring it. That's not a big deal in other contexts, frankly,Just because the DOT says it's deceptive doesn't mean that your Attorney General will. And they've got enough on their hands with real victims: old folks who believed the Nigerian scammers and identity theft and Madoff-like schemes and fly-by-night operations.

But the DOT isn't going to reinstate your tickets. I would be surprised if the TAs get fined on this: morally, you guys simply don't have the high ground, and you know it. You didn't find this fare this when you were researching your trip to Bagan and booked it thinking that it was actually what business class tickets from Asia to the US cost. And yet you're furious, furious, that the tickets are being cancelled.
Read my post pg 116 and decide for yourself.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
BINGO. There IS no moral high-ground on commercial transactions. You make me an offer to purchase something, I buy it, and pay you the money. You give me the item. You cannot come back to my house and grab the bananas after I buy them, why can you take back the ticket you sold me?

Originally Posted by azpyre
Hi all,
I've been following this thread closely, all 122 pages so far.
I too have bought a RGN-YVR ticket, mostly on KE, and has since been cancelled by Vayama. I am holding on to another RGN-JFK, on SQ/AF/DL and this one is still breathing so far.

Hypothetical question ...
Vayama claims that this is an error fare, be it currency error or decimal error, I don't care. And Vayama has the right to cancel the ticket without any compensation to the passenger.

Say, my company secretary books me a ticket RGN-ICN for US$12,000 on Vayama. She (knows nothing of ticket pricing, and) shows me a week later and I told her that it should have been US$1,200 instead. I file a claim to Vayama claiming error fare. By that time, the airline, say it's KE in this case, has already correct their fare as they realised that no one will pay US$12,000 for a RGN-ICN ticket.

In this case, will Vayama cancel my ticket and fully refund my money?
It is clearly an error, right? Vayama should return my US$12,000 based on the principle of error fare as defined by their website. Or are the terms and condition on Vayama's website solely to protect their company only.

My point is that if I buy an error fare which benefits the TA/airlines, I'm screwed out of luck. But if I buy an error fare which benefits me, the TA/airlines have the right to cancel. Does not seem a level-playing field ...

Appreciate your constructive comments ...
Old May 3, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I can find a fare for $1500ish in C BKK-CAI-JFK. Roughly same distance, and a 55% discount on items is not unheard of in a sale.

They F'd up. I was just told, "no no, sir, you may be ticketed on DL, with no Korean Airlines flights or codeshares, but the fare is still based off of Korea, so, we cancelled."

What's to stop them from cancelling any ticket that is initially billed as a great sale just because the airline tells them, "oh no, we now realize we can get more money for the fares. Please cancel these tickets, and the tickets of our competitors too so those people also have to search for new flights and potentially pick us." THAT is the issue here.
no it's NOT the issue here.

there is a big difference between what is a normal fare, and normal operating, and a fare which might appear too low to be true.

airlines and agents don't do what you mention because they have their reputations to protect, and their customer base. any airline that regularly cancelled tickets because they thought they could get more money later would be committing corporate suicide.

you cannot simply pick an extreme position (ALL tickets can now be cancelled and that's what we're fighting for here) based on a single extraordinarily cheap fare.

if this ever went to court, a simple question would be 'did anyone call the airlines to ask about the fare?'... and most would have to reply 'no, because we didn't want it to get found out and cancelled'.

and a lot of these fares are nit just single tickets, people are buying multiples.

that being said, for those with destinations in the US, the DOT info looks promising.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
So what you are saying is that its my responsibility to check ALL commerce I complete was MEANT to be sold at the price I pay? Does the vendor have to ask me if I really mean to buy something as well? "Mr. Joelfreak, this is a really expensive car, are you SURE you want to pay $100000 for something that you could buy something that will do the same thing for $14000?"

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

there is a big difference between what is a normal fare, and normal operating, and a fare which might appear too low to be true.

airlines and agents don't do what you mention because they have their reputations to protect, and their customer base. any airline that regularly cancelled tickets because they thought they could get more money later would be committing corporate suicide.

you cannot simply pick an extreme position (ALL tickets can now be cancelled and that's what we're fighting for here) based on a single extraordinarily cheap fare.

if this ever went to court, a simple question would be 'did anyone call the airlines to ask about the fare?'... and most would have to reply 'no, because we didn't want it to get found out and cancelled'.

and a lot of these fares are nit just single tickets, people are buying multiples.

that being said, for those with destinations in the US, the DOT info looks promising.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Booked thru cheapoair,

Got a call this morning to give them back a call since the ticket is not confirmed.

What should I do in this case?

Booked 3 tickets thru them,
Paper ticket: got cancelled
2 E-tickets: got etikt # and confirmation.

Anyone else got that from cheapoair yet?
Old May 3, 2012, 6:23 pm

So Vayama either didn't void my transactions as promised, or did not void in time, because they've now been processed by my bank with some lovely little foreign currency fees added.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by joelfreak
So what you are saying is that its my responsibility to check ALL commerce I complete was MEANT to be sold at the price I pay? Does the vendor have to ask me if I really mean to buy something as well? "Mr. Joelfreak, this is a really expensive car, are you SURE you want to pay $100000 for something that you could buy something that will do the same thing for $14000?"
if you were looking to fly lax-lga and you are used to paying $500 roundtrip, but all of a sudden, every airline, on every day, was only offering base fares of $5000... and so were all agents... would you call the airline and ask what's going on?

or if bread, in every supermarket, jumped from $1 a loaf to $100 a loaf, would you call and ask why?

I'm not saying there is an obligation to do so, and that doesn't form part of contract law. but in the absence of the Dot protection, you may well not get a court ordering specific performance where you have knowingly booked multiple tickets for far less than the generally accepted value of that ticket. other remedies sure, or maybe other compensation from the airline, but SP may be a different issue. and a court is unlikely to order an agency to fork out $millions to airlines to honour tickets which passengers knowingly bought as fares which were likely an error.

people keep quoting biz class fares ex bkk to JFK for $1500. is that on a top tier carrier? I don't think so. everyone knows about competition and that come airlines price lower than others. but such heavy discounting for sq F? I've NEVER seen it.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyer89
Booked thru cheapoair,

Got a call this morning to give them back a call since the ticket is not confirmed.

I've got an e-ticket on Cheapo including KE metal, not cancelled yet. Can view reservation on Asiana website (my trip is part OZ metal) but cannot view reservation anywhere else, including Checkmytrip, VirtuallyThere etc. Does anyone know how to view a KE/OZ/VN reservation online, and if not, is it safe to call now?
Old May 3, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by flyer89
Booked thru cheapoair,

They emailed me saying that 'due to the airlines involved' that they were unable to issue the itinerary - this was supposed to be a paper ticket. My reservation still shows as confirmed on their site as well as on all airline sites involved - I have seat assignments all the segments as well.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Angry

Here's what I just got when I asked for the number of their legal department.....

The contract is between the supplier (Korean Airlines) and the purchaser (you). If you feel you have legal grounds for action, it is the Korean Airlines legal department that you might consider contacting.

The fares offered were published by the airlines not the agency. To that end, we followed their requirement to cancel all impacted bookings. It was not Vayama's decision or in our control. Your booking remains canceled and will not be reinstated.

Sincerely,
Old May 3, 2012, 6:38 pm

if you were looking to fly lax-lga and you are used to paying $500 roundtrip, but all of a sudden, every airline, on every day, was only offering base fares of $5000... and so were all agents... would you call the airline and ask what's going on?

or if bread, in every supermarket, jumped from $1 a loaf to $100 a loaf, would you call and ask why?

I'm not saying there is an obligation to do so, and that doesn't form part of contract law. but in the absence of the Dot protection, you may well not get a court ordering specific performance where you have knowingly booked multiple tickets for far less than the generally accepted value of that ticket. other remedies sure, or maybe other compensation from the airline, but SP may be a different issue. and a court is unlikely to order an agency to fork out $millions to airlines to honour tickets which passengers knowingly bought as fares which were likely an error.

people keep quoting biz class fares ex bkk to JFK for $1500. is that on a top tier carrier? I don't think so. everyone knows about competition and that come airlines price lower than others. but such heavy discounting for sq F? I've NEVER seen it.
Reading the DOT regulations, I think the way is supposed to work is that airlines/otas shouldn't confirm and charge the card until they are sure of the price, once they give the go ahead then it doesn't matter if its error, different rules or other.

I am no expert just my own personal interpretation
Old May 3, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze

Full disclosure: I bought one ticket. I paid a few hundred $ more than some of the other posted fares. I intended to, and probably still will, go to Myanmar.

I'm not saying that my position is that every airline WOULD do that, just that if a situation like like were to stand it would mean that they COULD do that. Say you have to go somewhere that one airline is the only option? Where are you then? You have no choice what to fly.

I understand and respect your position that my views are on the extreme end. I just disagree and want to fly in C on an SQ 388 for cheap, and am willing to suffer through not one but TWO legs on DL to do so.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Paella747
Here's what I just got when I asked for the number of their legal department.....

The contract is between the supplier (Korean Airlines) and the purchaser (you). If you feel you have legal grounds for action, it is the Korean Airlines legal department that you might consider contacting.

The fares offered were published by the airlines not the agency. To that end, we followed their requirement to cancel all impacted bookings. It was not Vayama's decision or in our control. Your booking remains canceled and will not be reinstated.

Sincerely,
Call KE, if they don't give you a solution file the claim with DOT.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:49 pm

Should ask for a copy of the airline's request to cancel the reservation.

I talked to the airline and they said if a TA issues a ticket, the airline does not cancel it, only the TA can do it.

Originally Posted by Paella747

Sincerely,
Old May 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This is just getting ridiculous. Booked RGN-SIN-LHR-DTW on DL ticket stock, no KE segments, on Vayama. Here are the E-mails they sent me in the past 20 hours:

Dear Customer –

Yesterday, May 1, 2012, you completed a booking through our website which we are unable to satisfy due to a fare filing error causing the fares at that time to be artificially lower than required.

As a result of this error we have been informed by our Airline partner, Korean Airlines, of the need to cancel the booking and provide you with a full refund.

Although not what we prefer, this action is in compliance with the Terms and Conditions to which you agreed to at the time of booking. Specifically stated:
Vayama reserves the right to cancel a reservation and provide full refund of all charges on this request in case of fare errors, incorrect fare rules, system errors, availability problems, reservations not confirmed by carriers, and other technical issues that may prohibit Vayama from fulfilling a customer's reservation at the cost provided and in a timely manner.

The issue causing the pricing error has been corrected. With that being the case, we encourage you to return to our website to review pricing and flight options which meet your travel budget and needs.
Dear Customer –

As a follow up to the email we sent previously regarding our need to cancel your booking, we inadvertently referenced your booking as being on Korean Airlines rather than the airline booked.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, the position of the airline remains the same and your booking has been canceled.

Again we apologize for the confusion, inconvenience, and frustration caused.
Dear Customer –

As a follow up to the email we sent previously regarding our need to cancel your booking, we inadvertently referenced your booking as being on Korean Airlines rather than Delta Airlines.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, the position remains the same and your booking has been canceled.

Again we apologize for the confusion, inconvenience, and frustration caused.
I contacted them by E-mail contesting the cancellation but no response as of yet. Vayama is handling this very poorly, and clearly they are not communicating well internally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.