Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by andaman C
Huh. In reading the new DOT rules it seems clear that cancelling the tickets is not allowed. If so, why would KE do it... thinking no one would notice?
It is in their interest to try and hope no one fights
Old May 3, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
It's an interesting rule, but would it apply to the segments not on a US carrier, to the US or booked through a US TA?

I know we're all travelling to the US at some point on these tickets, but what happens if, say, Opodo UK cancels tickets on the grounds that BA cancel the tickets on the BKK - LHR segment?
Old May 3, 2012, 3:17 pm

I'll bet DOT will assert jurisdiction as long as the ticket touches the USA. Section 399.88 applies to "any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from, the United States" and includes US and foreign air carriers, travel agents, including online travel agencies, and tour operators.

Online complaint form here:
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

EVERYONE needs to submit a complaint if they've had a ticket cancelled.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Or would it come down to stock? I.e. if it's on DL stock, the buck stops with them, regardless of carrier?

I booked RGN-BOS on Tuesday evening, about a half hour before I received a call that my uncle had died unexpectedly. He was 56 years old and a great man.
Following along on this thread has given me pockets of escape from my sadness, I am a (graduating) college student, this will (hopefully) be my first time visiting Burma, so thanks to everyone for keeping this thread discussion interesting.
But no matter what happens, remember to appreciate the joy of living. The experience of being alive is made of the most wonderful little things, and I am so grateful to be able to travel and to be here and now.

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I'm bummed that the KE F tickets are cancelled.....

But I did book 4 J tickets (2 of us 2 times ) from RGN to JFK (via BKK, DXB, MXP) for 385 that have stuck and I have seats and all (OF COURSE I DIDNT CALL) so all is not lost.

I will keep track of what's going on though because I just looked at my confirmation email from Vayama with ticket numbers and all......
Old May 3, 2012, 3:19 pm

I think any reasonable court would read 399.88(a) and interpret that as meaning they can't cancel or raise the price on any segment of a ticket that either originates or terminates in the US.

I'm not a lawyer, but the intention of that section is consumer protection, and the court would likely err on the side of consumer protection. I doubt the "we didn't cancel the ICN-LAX segment, we cancelled the BKK-ICN segment" would hold any water.

I'm very interested to see someone try it, though. None of my tickets have been cancelled (yet).

Or would it come down to stock? I.e. if it's on DL stock, the buck stops with them, regardless of carrier?
I read it as any ticket that touches the US (but I am not a lawyer), but I would think the fact that a ticket is on the stock of a US carrier would weigh even more heavily in the consumer's favour.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by AliMSP
I booked RGN-BOS on Tuesday evening, about a half hour before I received a call that my uncle had died unexpectedly. He was 56 years old and a great man.
Following along on this thread has given me pockets of escape from my sadness, I am a (graduating) college student, this will (hopefully) be my first time visiting Burma, so thanks to everyone for keeping this thread discussion interesting.
But no matter what happens, remember to appreciate the joy of living. The experience of being alive is made of the most wonderful little things, and I am so grateful to be able to travel and to be here and now.
So sorry to hear of your loss.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AliMSP
Sorry for your loss. My grandmother died the day after I graduated from GT so I can empathize. Even though we go back and forth sometimes, FlyerTalk teaches you to appreciate the benefits and joy of traveling and experiencing other cultures. We're the best ambassadors.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas

Interesting things:
* All legs except the initial RGN-BKK leg show up on the itin. The BKK-RGN final leg shows up just fine. Both are on TG.
* Passenger name is JOHNMR DOE, not JOHN DOE, or MR. JOHN DOE.
* Reservation made yesterday (Wed May 2) AM EDT, ticketing date is today May 3.
18sas, I have similar problem in that my booking thru a Spanish website has my names reversed, ie in your example, as family name = JOHN and given name = DOE, so that to find my booking under TG website, I have to enter rsvn code and surname as JOHN (and the rsvn is there on the TG website).

My eticket is DL (006) stock and my airlines are TG, CI, and DL operated by KLM. Would it present problems if I contact the TA being travelgenio.com to correct the family/given names reversal? IE, will they say that represents a cancellation and need a re-booking (and repricing)?
Old May 3, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: SQ
Doesn't the time and energy involved in suing over this just end up decreasing the overall deal? If one can fly these flights EASILY without a significant time/suing ordeal, it would make sense, but from the discussion I'm seeing....

Unless the ticket is $500 or less (or even less maybe), you can probably just buy miles and travel to Asia for the same amount of $ you will invest in this, considering placement flights and such required......don't forget, you are probably burning (conservative estimate) 40,000 miles to get there, so that's a value of about $500 (very conservative), then you have the hours put in (probably a lot if you really want to win), and then you will have to go to Burma for the flight, which is a lot more hours, and probably isn't the routing you wanted.

I can fly in C to Asia several times for $1320 courtesy of DL's 100% share promo, which will probably be repeated. The US Grand Slam promotion also earned me a C flight to Asia for like $600. I recommend doing this for all of your family members, and then you will have several $600 C flights to Asia.

Why waste your time over this when it's not even a desired destination or routing and the financial investment is significant. Typical not-doing-your-accounting-homework-before-making-investment situation here.....
Old May 3, 2012, 3:27 pm

To each his own. DOT rules are in place for a reason. If I shrugged my shoulders every time injustice happened (and yes, I believe cancelling ticketed reservations in violation of law is an injustice) then I wouldn't be happy with myself. If airlines get away with this now, then there's no ending to the "error" excuse for getting out of any ticketed reservation.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:27 pm

Why waste your time over this when it's not even a desired destination or routing and the financial investment is significant.
I doubt I can get a AI F / CX J / SQ J / MH J tour around Asia for $1300, but I think the real reason is probably that it's a hobby, not an investment.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:28 pm

BTW, before the post about cancelling error fares being specifically outlawed since January 2012, I was willing to move on with my life. My outlook has changed dramatically in light of this new rule.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Doesn't the time and energy involved in suing over this just end up decreasing the overall deal? If one can fly these flights EASILY without a significant time/suing ordeal, it would make sense, but from the discussion I'm seeing....

Unless the ticket is $500 or less (or even less maybe), you can probably just buy miles and travel to Asia for the same amount of $ you will invest in this, considering placement flights and such required......don't forget, you are probably burning (conservative estimate) 40,000 miles to get there, so that's a value of about $500 (very conservative), then you have the hours put in (probably a lot if you really want to win), and then you will have to go to Burma for the flight, which is a lot more hours, and probably isn't the routing you wanted.

I can fly in C to Asia several times for $1320 courtesy of DL's 100% share promo, which will probably be repeated. The US Grand Slam promotion also earned me a C flight to Asia for like $600. I recommend doing this for all of your family members, and then you will have several $600 C flights to Asia.

Why waste your time over this when it's not even a desired destination or routing and the financial investment is significant. Typical not-doing-your-accounting-homework-before-making-investment situation here.....
Do you work for DL or just have a vested interest in their success?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.