Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
Have received emails from Vayama claiming that the DOT reference does not apply to them and they act on instructions from the airlines. They blame flyertalk and other boards for blowing this situation out of control.

Vayama is reading Flyertalk, so I say come out and say hello and tell us why the law does not apply to you.
Yeah, it's been funny how their messaging has been changing in response to comments here. My cancellation made no reference to KE and just blamed the currency conversion.

Dear Customer –

Recently you completed a booking through our website which we are unable to satisfy due to a fare pricing issue tied to a currency devaluation which in turn caused the fares at that time to be dramatically lower than required.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GVA
Have received emails from Vayama claiming that the DOT reference does not apply to them and they act on instructions from the airlines. They blame flyertalk and other boards for blowing this situation out of control.

Vayama is reading Flyertalk, so I say come out and say hello and tell us why the law does not apply to you.
Thats blatantly false (not your statement, but the Vayama argument). If the AIRLINES are at fault, let the AIRLINES cancel the tickets. Vayama is canceling the tickets, as they provided us with notice. If someone else is canceling them, let THEM contact us, as they have our details in the ticket. As a seller of travel, Vayama must abide by the law.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:10 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Thats blatantly false (not your statement, but the Vayama argument). If the AIRLINES are at fault, let the AIRLINES cancel the tickets. Vayama is canceling the tickets, as they provided us with notice. If someone else is canceling them, let THEM contact us, as they have our details in the ticket. As a seller of travel, Vayama must abide by the law.
I suggest everyone asks them to send proof of communication from the relevant airline in question, showing that they were instructed to cancel the tickets.

I'm quite sure they never received this, as their answers and actions are very much panic reactions with no thought.

They have given me a number of different versions and facts within a very limited timeframe.

I'm sure the DOT will be quite happy to fine them and (if needed) any lawyer can easily go after them.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by GVA
I suggest everyone asks them to send proof of communication from the relevant airline in question, showing that they were instructed to cancel the tickets.

I'm quite sure they never received this, as their answers and actions are very much panic reactions with no thought.

They have given me a number of different versions and facts within a very limited timeframe.

I'm sure the DOT will be quite happy to fine them and (if needed) any lawyer can easily go after them.
I'm quite sure KE asked them to cancel. I have no doubt about that. KE did the same to our agency. Very brilliant of KE to do so because when the TA voluntarily cancels, then it's the TA breaking the law, not KE. We're refusing KE's request to cancel because we will not break the law on their behalf.

ETA: Please don't PM asking me to ticket stuff for you. My managers are already annoyed at the hassle and how it might negatively impact our VERY good relationship with KE. I don't want to add to that.

Last edited by HansGolden; May 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 5:17 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by HansGolden
I'm quite sure KE asked them to cancel. I have no doubt about that. KE did the same to our agency. Very brilliant of KE to do so because when the TA voluntarily cancels, then it's the TA breaking the law, not KE. We're refusing KE's request to cancel because we will not break the law on their behalf.
KE did, however did SQ, DL and others ? I have a hard time believing the others did, as no other agency has cancelled and Vayama cancelled all tickets on all airlines within a very short timeframe.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:18 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HansGolden
We're refusing KE's request to cancel because we will not break the law on their behalf.
^^^^^

So it would appear other TAs are doing here, too; note no current reports of Opodo, TL or others cancelling.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Doesn't the time and energy involved in suing over this just end up decreasing the overall deal? If one can fly these flights EASILY without a significant time/suing ordeal, it would make sense, but from the discussion I'm seeing...
I see your point, and depending on personal circumstances you may be right.

However, having taken major corporations to court, it's been a fantastic learning experience regardless of the outcome. I don't suspect this will get that far...airlines are highly unlikely to defend dozens of cases being brought against them on this.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:23 pm
GVA

Originally Posted by dll
^^^^^

So it would appear other TAs are doing here, too; note no current reports of Opodo, TL or others cancelling.
Very obvious that Vayama thought they were doing the right thing in cancelling KE tickets following their request and avoiding a debit memo.

However, it has become quite clear to me that someone at Vayama told everyone to cancel all tickets to avoid receiving debit memos from all other airlines.

It seems they were not aware of the DOT rules. However, that is obviously none of my business, when you are a corporation operating in a certain business it is your role to find out what laws apply and to make sure any actions you take do not go against these.

I am sure that at this point in time there is a lot of head scratching going on at Viyama HQ.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GVA

Thats just it. No other TA's are canceling. Where are the cancellations from all the other TA's? They aren't happening. This is an action by Vayama. If it isn't, then they shouldn't be contacting us. By canceling our tickets, THEY are breaking the DoT rules. Its a HORRID metaphor, but just because someone ASKED you to kill someone, doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for murder.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Also filed complaint with California dept of Justice. Thanks for the link.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thats just it. No other TA's are canceling. Where are the cancellations from all the other TA's? They aren't happening. This is an action by Vayama. If it isn't, then they shouldn't be contacting us. By canceling our tickets, THEY are breaking the DoT rules. Its a HORRID metaphor, but just because someone ASKED you to kill someone, doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for murder.
Just spoke to my agent and confirmed, no communication yet from any airline. I'm ticketed on NH, DL, and SA stock and nothing yet. Segments on NH, UA, US, SA, TG, SQ....

I suspect KE did make that call, tricked Vayama into panicking...so far, other airlines are silent...and I've seen no airline-initiated cancelations.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I've contacted Delta. They confirm, though not in writing, that the cancellation was neither initiated nor completed by them, rather it was done by Vayama. On the phone to Vayama no to find out their current attempt to spin this in thier favor.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by GVA

They can say whatever they want ...let the DOT decide. If I remember correctly the DOT has taken action against OTAs before. Yes. I did a lot of research for the ROR ordeal.

Either way I think Vayama may have to update their policies.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I've contacted Delta. They confirm, though not in writing, that the cancellation was neither initiated nor completed by them, rather it was done by Vayama. On the phone to Vayama no to find out their current attempt to spin this in thier favor.
I tried calling them, and all I could get is their outsourced callcenter...even their number in California just hangs up on you. It seems that they are trying to not answer calls.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I tried calling them, and all I could get is their outsourced callcenter...even their number in California just hangs up on you. It seems that they are trying to not answer calls.
Ha, I just got the hang up as well. "Extension 192 is unavilable and the voicemailbox is full. Good bye."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.