Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I got a live person at Vayama. It's so sad and pathetic it's almost funny. They've now cited Virgin Atlantic as the cause for my cancellation.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:39 pm

It is obvious that all the various airlines involved did not request Vayama, and only Vayama, cancel the tickets, all at the same time.

Once Vayama decided to cancel the reservations, there is no way for Vayama to backtrack and reinstate the original tickets, correct? They would have to issue new tickets at the current price, I would assume?
Old May 3, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I believe it is also a violation to not be able to be reached when taking an action like this. I think it is California law, not 100% sure, but it specifically said they could NOT hide, and MUST make themselves available.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:41 pm

Posted about Vayama's shady practice on FB and they deleted my comment.
lol
Old May 3, 2012, 5:41 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eloraculo
They can say whatever they want ...let the DOT decide. If I remember correctly the DOT has taken action against OTAs before. Yes. I did a lot of research for the ROR ordeal.

Either way I think Vayama may have to update their policies.
Yes. It would absolutely appear they may; other TAs have. For example:

Expedia: THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, AND SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS, INCLUDING PRICING ERRORS. IN PARTICULAR, THE EXPEDIA COMPANIES AND EXPEDIA AFFILIATES DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF, AND DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR OTHER INACCURACIES RELATING TO THE INFORMATION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE HOTEL, AIR, CRUISE, CAR AND OTHER TRAVEL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PRICING, PHOTOGRAPHS, LIST OF HOTEL AMENITIES, GENERAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS, ETC.). IN ADDITION, EXPEDIA, INC. EXPRESSLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY.

Travelocity:
TRAVELOCITY EXPRESSLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, TYPOGRAPHICAL OR DISPLAY ERRORS, INCORRECT THIRD PARTY SUPPLIER INFORMATION, AND CURRENCY CONVERSION MISCALCULATIONS) AND/OR TO CHANGE OR CANCEL PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. THIS RIGHT APPLIES WHETHER OR NOT THE ORDER HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AND/OR YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGED. IN THE EVENT OF A CORRECTION TO A PENDING RESERVATION, AS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR, AT YOUR OPTION, WE WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY.

Interesting that Travelocity expressly includes language re: currency conversions in their terms of use but also uses the word "pending" reservation. They do not describe the remedy for a change to pricing error for tickets that are confirmed and credit cards charged.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting that Travelocity expressly includes language re: currency conversions in their terms of use but also uses the word "pending" reservation.
When is a reservation no longer pending? I presume, once it has ticketed and/or been confirmed. With TL and Vayama, those confirmations come very quickly after hitting 'submit,' which leaves them a very short time to correct a 'pending' reservation.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:46 pm

Still on the phone and being told it's Korean Airlines. I then read off all four of my flights, their #s and corresponding codeshares, and asked aginst what Korean Airlines has to do with this. I'm on hold again.

My ace in the hole is the new DOT regs, which I have open in a nice little .pdf on my computer.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
I'm sure the DOT will be quite happy to fine them and (if needed) any lawyer can easily go after them.
Don't be so sure about that; like any prosecutor, the DOT enforcement has enforcement discretion: cops don't have to arrest every pot-smoker they see, and the DOT doesn't have to fine for every violation that comes across it's path. Especially ones like this.

As far as other lawyers going after them, well, the apparently the DOT says that what the TA/airline did was wrong by not honoring it. That's not a big deal in other contexts, frankly,Just because the DOT says it's deceptive doesn't mean that your Attorney General will. And they've got enough on their hands with real victims: old folks who believed the Nigerian scammers and identity theft and Madoff-like schemes and fly-by-night operations.

But the DOT isn't going to reinstate your tickets. I would be surprised if the TAs get fined on this: morally, you guys simply don't have the high ground, and you know it. You didn't find this fare this when you were researching your trip to Bagan and booked it thinking that it was actually what business class tickets from Asia to the US cost. And yet you're furious, furious, that the tickets are being cancelled.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by artemis021
you guys simply don't have the high ground, and you know it. You didn't find this fare this when you were researching your trip to Bagan and booked it thinking that it was actually what business class tickets from Asia to the US cost. And yet you're furious, furious, that the tickets are being cancelled.
Your first quoted comment is untrue. The DOT rules specifically include mistake rates. It does not matter whether the purchaser thought it was a sale or mistake.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:56 pm

I can find a fare for $1500ish in C BKK-CAI-JFK. Roughly same distance, and a 55% discount on items is not unheard of in a sale.

They F'd up. I was just told, "no no, sir, you may be ticketed on DL, with no Korean Airlines flights or codeshares, but the fare is still based off of Korea, so, we cancelled."

What's to stop them from cancelling any ticket that is initially billed as a great sale just because the airline tells them, "oh no, we now realize we can get more money for the fares. Please cancel these tickets, and the tickets of our competitors too so those people also have to search for new flights and potentially pick us." THAT is the issue here.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Hi all,
I've been following this thread closely, all 122 pages so far.
I too have bought a RGN-YVR ticket, mostly on KE, and has since been cancelled by Vayama. I am holding on to another RGN-JFK, on SQ/AF/DL and this one is still breathing so far.

Hypothetical question ...
Vayama claims that this is an error fare, be it currency error or decimal error, I don't care. And Vayama has the right to cancel the ticket without any compensation to the passenger.

Say, my company secretary books me a ticket RGN-ICN for US$12,000 on Vayama. She (knows nothing of ticket pricing, and) shows me a week later and I told her that it should have been US$1,200 instead. I file a claim to Vayama claiming error fare. By that time, the airline, say it's KE in this case, has already correct their fare as they realised that no one will pay US$12,000 for a RGN-ICN ticket.

In this case, will Vayama cancel my ticket and fully refund my money?
It is clearly an error, right? Vayama should return my US$12,000 based on the principle of error fare as defined by their website. Or are the terms and condition on Vayama's website solely to protect their company only.

My point is that if I buy an error fare which benefits the TA/airlines, I'm screwed out of luck. But if I buy an error fare which benefits me, the TA/airlines have the right to cancel. Does not seem a level-playing field ...

Appreciate your constructive comments ...
Old May 3, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
What's everyone's thoughts on using the DOT complaint process for a ticket that doesn't originate or terminate in the US, but was issued by a US TA?

Vayama cancelled my RGN-BKK-ICN-YVR ticket, however I do have a copy of the e-ticket receipt from Airtrade International (Vayama) in California, as well as a copy of the credit card charge from Airtrade. Would the DOT ruling apply as the TA was US based?

Adrian
Try Canadian Transportation Agency,
do an online complaint and mail all communications, and printing to them right away.
They did a follow-up for me over the OK problem, but that ticket didn't touch Canada so they had no jurisdiction but your does.

One rule of thumb, unlike the US DOT, the CTA looks back at Korean's condition of carriage as the rule
Old May 3, 2012, 6:01 pm

Don't be so sure about that; like any prosecutor, the DOT enforcement has enforcement discretion: cops don't have to arrest every pot-smoker they see, and the DOT doesn't have to fine for every violation that comes across it's path. Especially ones like this.

As far as other lawyers going after them, well, the apparently the DOT says that what the TA/airline did was wrong by not honoring it. That's not a big deal in other contexts, frankly,Just because the DOT says it's deceptive doesn't mean that your Attorney General will. And they've got enough on their hands with real victims: old folks who believed the Nigerian scammers and identity theft and Madoff-like schemes and fly-by-night operations.

But the DOT isn't going to reinstate your tickets. I would be surprised if the TAs get fined on this: morally, you guys simply don't have the high ground, and you know it. You didn't find this fare this when you were researching your trip to Bagan and booked it thinking that it was actually what business class tickets from Asia to the US cost. And yet you're furious, furious, that the tickets are being cancelled.
I think it is in their best interest for them to reinstate tickets because fines can be a lot of money. Tarmac delays are crazy expensive.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:01 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
morally, you guys simply don't have the high ground, and you know it.
Moral ground is not really relevant in this situation. DOT doesn't discriminate one planeful of people stranded on a tarmac for hours on end from another simply because they are on a low-fare carrier and paid less or because they smell bad. Laws are written for the uniform benefit of everyone impacted by them.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by azpyre
Hi all,
I've been following this thread closely, all 122 pages so far.
I too have bought a RGN-YVR ticket, mostly on KE, and has since been cancelled by Vayama. I am holding on to another RGN-JFK, on SQ/AF/DL and this one is still breathing so far.
Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
What's everyone's thoughts on using the DOT complaint process for a ticket that doesn't originate or terminate in the US, but was issued by a US TA?

Vayama cancelled my RGN-BKK-ICN-YVR ticket, however I do have a copy of the e-ticket receipt from Airtrade International (Vayama) in California, as well as a copy of the credit card charge from Airtrade. Would the DOT ruling apply as the TA was US based?

Adrian
My bad for the YVR ticket, completely forgot the link
http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-travel-complaints-1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.