Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I just paid for VOA a few days in Jakarta and it was $35 USD.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Just booked this new airport hotel for my MR which requires overnight in CGK for early October (brand new property with good initial reviews):

Swiss-Belinn Airport Jakarta
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...arta_Java.html
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Tring
I just paid for VOA a few days in Jakarta and it was $35 USD.
Do you know if it allows for multiple entries?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

No, single entry only unfortunately.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:41 pm

Can you get the 5000 miles bonus multiple times? Might do a couple of MRs if the price is right.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:30 pm

Three clicks, is it really that hard?

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by scholity
Just booked this new airport hotel for my MR which requires overnight in CGK for early October (brand new property with good initial reviews):

Swiss-Belinn Airport Jakarta
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...arta_Java.html
I used the same. It opened 7/15/14. Has well-deserved 8.1 excellent reviews also on Booking.com or book on their website. Excellent service, middle-of-the-night pickup and dropoff for JAL flights available, and FREE. Only 5-10 minutes to airport terminal, which is incredible for CGK. Excellent breakfast buffet. Cost for room can be Rph 550,000 or about $55 when including breakfast and tax. They may also ask to "authorize" (not "charge") about $100 more for an extended stay for your convenience in charging other meals to the rooms, but are quite honest about not charging it when you don't use that.

Typical for ALL Jakarta, there are a few mosquitoes in the lobby late at night (due to sliding glass doors folks pass through to enter), but they have the BlackOut mosquito zappers going. You will not find mosquitoes in the well-appointed rooms, and not in the lobby during the daytime. You are near the countryside, but also quite near the "jalan tol" toll roads to downtown. Believe me, with Jakarta traffic (macet = traffic jams), you will appreciate that. It is a local neighborhood, but the restaurant is excellent, and clean water is used. There are also 2-3 Indomaret convenience stores / gas stations within a block or so.

Best directions when returning from downtown JKT or the malls is to tell a BlueBird or Express taxi to take "Jalan tol Airport" (Rph 8000 + 5500 = 13,500 in tolls or about $1.35, which you pay) toll road to Hotel Amaris exit before the airport, then make an IMMEDIATE left at the front of the hotel followed by an immediate right. The road then bends in an S-curve (to go left again). About 100 yards/meters down the road, make a right turn on the first street, Jalan Husein Sastranegara. You will see an A-mart gas station, followed by an IndoMaret convenience store and gas station on the right, and if you look upwards 15 degrees, you will see the purple "Hotel Swiss Bel-linn Airport" neon sign on the top of the hotel straight ahead of you. Turn left into the parking lot (Booking.com map has it on the wrong side of the street). Remember folks drive on the LEFT side of the road in Indonesia. (There are 4 other Swiss Bel-Inn in Jakarta, so don't rely on drivers to know where it is.) Taxi meter from Capital Park Mall or Pluit Mall is about 80-90,000 RPH + 13,500 tolls. Remember 10,700 Rph = $1.00 USD.
-------------------

There is also an Ibis Styles opening this month (Sept. 2014) that is just outside the airport entrance, and should also be good quality. Next to Pop! Hotel Airport Jakarta.
------------------
I recommend a private guide (e.g. off Tourguides.viator.com, or rent-a-guide.com or tours-by-locals for a day or two. You do not need a full group to make a tour, so mention that and you will get an individual price. The person I used off tourguides.viator.com was excellent. and we did two days quite inexpensively, even with taxis and bajaj rides (gotta do it), and a couple of snacks/iced teas -- about $75-100/day. I do recommend touring on the weekend, NOT the weekdays, due to traffic. You may want to day-trip out to Bandung or Bogor.
- Read "Jakarta: 25 Excursions..." book with map, from Amazon.com before you go for sights to see. CultureShock! Jakarta is also good, but is written from a tourist perspective, and a bit frank. Go, with a guide, and you will be fine, but JKT is difficult to negotiate alone for the first time.

-----------------
You will need $35 USD for an entry visa at CGK, and there is an ATM next to the booth, and more by baggage claim, as well as money-changers after customs.
-- You will ALSO need Rph 150,000 in RPH when you check in to go home again. It is NOT included in your ticket.
-------------
You can sleep on the empty JAL flights NRT-CGK-NRT in the middle seats, so take advantage of that if flying coach. Do visit the NRT Admirals Club for excellent service, showers, and management of your flight seating. NRT won't get you the HKG or PVG miles promo, but the 5-7 hours sleep and excellent JAL meals / service / elbow room may be worth it. I netted 23,316 miles over MIA/ORD + DFW from/to from my final city.

Last edited by flyzabit; Sep 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by flyzabit
Do visit the NRT Admirals Club for excellent service, showers, and management of your flight seating.
And then head over to the JL F lounge if you are eligible. Far better experience.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by Spiff
And then head over to the JL F lounge if you are eligible. Far better experience.
True, but I had booked in coach. Did get good "consideration" on the way back, though.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyzabit
True, but I had booked in coach. Did get good "consideration" on the way back, though.
AA EXP do get access to the JL F lounge if traveling on OneWorld. The JL business lounge is still better than the AC IMO and available to AA Plt.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Did this trip, 2 weeks ago. $35 VOA and Indonesian Rupaiah 150,000 on departure. I just did quick turnaround, so I hired a cab 300,00($28) for 3 hours to give me a tour of the city and stop for some local cuisine and coffee at JCO (Indonesian version of Dunkin Donuts). As OW Emerald, you can use JAL First Lounge and don't forget complimentary massages or the massage chair at NRT. You are also given lounge card on Checkin at CGK for Pura Indah, Business and First Lounge after immigration- Nothing too fancy and give yourself time to clear security after leaving the lounge

There's also a promo going on for double miles between NRT and CGK http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/...uble-miles.jsp

It allows cheap fare buckets too :-)

JAL flight into CGK was semi full but CGK-NRT at 6:55 am had only 28 pax on a 767-300
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by DELANRDFW

There's also a promo going on for double miles between NRT and CGK http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/...uble-miles.jsp

Not all buckets: Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or Q on American Airlines marketed flights. N was the lowest fare I found.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by DELANRDFW
Did this trip, 2 weeks ago. $35 VOA and Indonesian Rupaiah 150,000 on departure. I just did quick turnaround, so I hired a cab 300,00($28) for 3 hours to give me a tour of the city and stop for some local cuisine and coffee at JCO (Indonesian version of Dunkin Donuts). As OW Emerald, you can use JAL First Lounge and don't forget complimentary massages or the massage chair at NRT. You are also given lounge card on Checkin at CGK for Pura Indah, Business and First Lounge after immigration- Nothing too fancy and give yourself time to clear security after leaving the lounge

JAL flight into CGK was semi full but CGK-NRT at 6:55 am had only 28 pax on a 767-300
- Did get Pura Indah access, which is nice at 4:00am. Decent shopping area around it also - still some things open at that hour.
- Also visited JCo coffee shop at one mall. Gives Starbucks competition, and I agree it's good.
- Wish I'd known Plats could get into JL lounge.
- Wish I'd known about the AA for JL NRT-CGK double miles link. Bummer.
- (I just opened a new thread on this NRT-CGK promo for 7/23-9/30/14 as TYCGK code since I didn't find one here or other blogs. All can register, and is not restricted by JP address or citizenship - confirmed w/ AAdv cust. svc. I got a few bonus miles by noting it only at above link or also off AA Japan home page http://www.aa.com/intl/jp/AAdvantage_en/AAdvantage.jsp to http://www.aa.com/intl/jp/promo_en/t...uble-miles.jsp )

Last edited by flyzabit; Sep 9, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:00 pm

Mileage for the NRT-CGK-NRT route is 7240 miles (AA Q fare). With this promo and EXP status, do I get 7240 (Flight Miles) + 7240 (Elite Bonus) + 7240 (Promotion Miles), a total of 21720?

Last edited by nowstime; Sep 9, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nowstime
Mileage for the NRT-CGK-NRT route is 7240 miles (AA Q fare). With this promo and EXP status, do I get 7240 (Flight Miles) + 7240 (Elite Miles) + 7240 (Promotion Miles), a total of 21720?
Yes, but only 7,240 count for elite qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.